What features of the SG caused Les Paul to not want his name on the Guitar?
"teh most gains"
All of them I think. :p I love the sound of the SG but I could never play one. They feel horrible.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Quote by rednightmare
All of them I think. :p I love the sound of the SG but I could never play one. They feel horrible.

angus young and tony iommi disagree

although they do feel really different its understandable that he wouldnt like it
Last edited by rickyj at Jul 14, 2010,
I think there were a lot of reasons, one I heard was that he didn't like the pointed 'horns'.

But one reason I heard is that he was about to divorce his wife and it had something to do with assets and money being made from selling guitars with his name on him (obviously I'm no lawyer but I vaguely remember reading something along those lines).
Quote by Weybl Himself
I think there were a lot of reasons, one I heard was that he didn't like the pointed 'horns'.

But one reason I heard is that he was about to divorce his wife and it had something to do with assets and money being made from selling guitars with his name on him (obviously I'm no lawyer but I vaguely remember reading something along those lines).

Hmm, that's an interesting theory, I've never heard that one before.
It makes sense though, I mean the LP and the SG are as different as night and day, and for someone to be so closely associated with the Les Paul (such as, well, Les Paul), the difference for him would be so huge that I could definitely see him not liking them at all. Also it seems to me like SG's would be a little bright for jazz.

I own one of each and I have to say I prefer the SG. Love the Les Paul too though, they're both great for what they do!
Quote by Weybl Himself

i actually recall reading this too, i think it was on the gibson wikipedia page.
As far as I remember from reading about this he said that the horns were too pointy - you could kill yourself on them - and that there wasn't enough wood in the neck joint.
Probably because when he stood up to play it and reached for a beer, the damn headstock hit the floor.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
I've read it was because he didn't like the design of the SG, with all of the pointed horns and the smaller body. Also the SG was designed without Les Paul's consent, IIRC, and they put it into production with Les Paul's name on it without his consent, so as soon as he knew about it he demanded they remove his name, so they renamed it SG for solid guitar.

Not completely sure if thats the reason, I remember readig it somewhere though.
Quote by zeek7pc
Probably because when he stood up to play it and reached for a beer, the damn headstock hit the floor.

winner.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by zincabopataurio
The SG was designed without Les Paul's consent, IIRC, and they put it into production with Les Paul's name on it without his consent, so as soon as he knew about it he demanded they remove his name, so they renamed it SG for solid guitar.

Not completely sure if thats the reason, I remember reading it somewhere though.

I was about to post the same thing.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Weybl Himself

This is the correct answer. He was married to Mary Ford, and knew he was going to get a divorce. So when the new Les Paul model came out in '61, he had Gibson take his name off of it. He divorced Mary Ford in '62, and when she re-married (thus eliminating alimony) the production of "Les Paul" models resumed.

Rumor has it Gibson paid him royalties on the SG under the table in the mid-60's.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jul 14, 2010,
I read the thing about the horns being able to kill someone and there not being enough wood there, but the beer thing makes a shit load of sense.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
The funny thing is that the SG original name was Les Paul.
SG is a quite stupid name actually. Solid Guitar? Oh please...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jul 14, 2010,