I got a open mic nigt coming ip tomm. I never have done one so I don't know what to expect. Dunno what songs to do. What if I forget lyrics or sing off ky.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
If you forget parts of a song or just play badly then OH MY GAWD your first time playing out will be just like everyone else's first time playing it. It's normal for the first time to suck haha

Also, if you dont have a set list of songs you can play then dont think about playing out yet. Playing out requires well...songs...
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
You've just got to get up there and do it, and not worry about what happens on stage.

I was beyond nervous when I went to my first open mic, and I ended up screwing some of the lyrics around by mistake. But I acted quick, and made up some words that seemed to flow with the song. That's all I can offer on that.

On singing off key, to avoid that is to practice-practice-practice! if you're struggling to sing, then bring the tuning down half a step till you practice it some more.

Hope it goes well!

To examine the tone of the sphincter? What the hell is it, a tuning fork?
What do u mean half step down ? I usually do standard tuning if u listen to my ptofile for mr bright side. That's my voice
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
If you screw up, don't let the audience know that you've screwed up. Make something up, repeat some lines, whatever's necessary. I've acted in a musical a couple times, and we've always been told, no matter how bad you screw up, don't let them know, just make it seem like it's part of the show.

As for the stage fright bit....there's really nothing you can do. You just have to get up there and play. The first time I was playing/singing live, I basically kept my eyes in focus with the microphone. It was a small venue (as open mics generally are) and looking at others just made me more nervous. Honestly, whenever I perform, I practically never look at my audience directly. I'm either staring down my music, at my instrument, at the mic, at other band members, stuff beyond the audience, etc. If you look at one person, you're more likely to lose focus.

but really, the only way to get over being scared is to just do it. Walk in there, and just say "What the hell? I've got nothing to lose." I use that phrase a lot in life now haha.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
i agree with Bright Light. if you don't have songs ready to go yet, it's not time to do an open mic. choose some songs you'd really like to play for open mic. it may take you time to develop the entire list. then spend a month or so learning that set of songs till you have them down. chances are you'll still be scared, but you'll have much less to be really scared ABOUT.

otherwise i'd suggest you play the songs you know the best. that way, you won't risk forgetting them.
Quote by silly6-string
I got a open mic nigt coming ip tomm. I never have done one so I don't know what to expect. Dunno what songs to do. What if I forget lyrics or sing off ky.

Well. Nothing will totally prepare you for playing for a captive audience, but...have you actually played to an audience that wasn't friends or family?

Try just playing somewhere public...a park or something, but where people will be, not stuck in some corner.

That will likely give you the experience of being watched, hopefully appreciated and maybe even applauded.

If you do that enough, then your only worry will be screwing up, but that kind of practice will help with that too.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Here's a post I had on another board:

I used to play in a jazz quintet that did random shows all over the place. Nothing fancy but it ended up being sweet when we did get some paid gigs. Now I had been in band and jazz band in high school so I was used to being on stage but when you're with a smaller group it tends to get a little nerve wracking. Granted this is the closest I can get to your playing solo but in that regards lemme tell you how it went.

The main thing you need to do is get through the first song. I remember that once my group got through the first song (we played jazz standards so they weren't hard) the waves of nerves were gone. It felt great, especially when you looked into the audience and realized that they aren't really judging you. I mean they are there for you. Soloing was the same way. They're not playing the solo, you are, so you are in control and man do they eat up whatever you throw at them unless play something Fred Durst-esque.

Second thing and almost the most important thing is that the whole time you're probably thinking you're gonna mess up and that people will think badly of your playing because of it. Guess what, you're gonna mess up so deal with it. Ok maybe you might play perfectly and honestly that's the most ideal, sweetest thing ever but on the very common chance you do mess up it's all about recovery and your ability to keep on truckin'. I used to slightly butcher some jazz classics (not on purpose of course) but I used to recover with a solo using the scales I knew and it didn't sound half bad. If you do mess up and stop that's 1000x worse than if you butcher the whole song because, hey, at least you made it through. Also keep in mind that almost all of the time the audience will respect you for having the balls to even play something because even if they wanted to be up there they don't have the nerves to do it. And even if you have those same nerves you're the one up there conquering it and playing entertainer, which is more than they're do.

Also if you can connect with the audience early it doesn't matter if you strip naked and spread yourself with feces while strumming E standard and shouting in Swedish, they'll love you for it. (Ok that's a slight exaggeration but if you win over the audience early you're golden).
The first time you try it you will be very nervous but eventually it will be fine. It is best to play songs you know really well that the audience you are playing to will like. Practice your whole set all the way through repeatedly and make sure you guitar is in good order. Appart from that just don't forget to test the tuning of your guitar when you have been there for a while. Temperature changes do interesting things to guitar's tuning.