I'm building my own electric guitar, and I'm dreading the building of the neck. This is because I can't even fathom how to instal a Truss Rod. Does anybody know 1) What kind I should use for a Flying V style guitar, and 2) How to install it?
You gotta route a straight line down the middle of the neck,
Then...
I don't know about doing the nut on the neck, but on the heel, it's easy. Just drill.
When installing the truss rod, what you want to do, is put some silicone bathtub sealer on the bottom of your truss rod nuts(This depends on the rod you're using)
I reccomend the Hot-rod dual something truss rod. It's hard to miss. Red, and gold... 2 rods.
..I was watching my death.
Easier than that...

The channel can be routed the exact width and depth of whatever truss rod you use (see StewMac, Allparts, WD Music, etc. You just look for Electric Guitar Truss Rod. Go for a double-action one though). The channel will run out through the nut end, with a slightly wider bit for access to the adjustment nut.

It wants to be a snug fit. I didn't use any sealant or anything, the rod was simply dropped in the channel and covered over with some masking/painters tape before I glued the fretboard on.
Last edited by lostcreation333 at Jul 14, 2010,
@lostcreation333, so it's NOT necessary to use sealant or any of that jazz? That is, permitting you have a snug enough fit, correct? Would the lack of sealant or glue reduce the truss rod's effectiveness? Also, why the double action?
Quote by canvasDude
@lostcreation333, so it's NOT necessary to use sealant or any of that jazz? That is, permitting you have a snug enough fit, correct? Would the lack of sealant or glue reduce the truss rod's effectiveness? Also, why the double action?

The necessity of sealant (or wrapping a bit of paper/tape around the ends, as others do) is down to how snug the rod fits in the channel. It shouldn't be tight so you have to force the rod in but at the same time you don't want it rattling around. This will have no affect on its effectiveness.

A double will give you the ability to adjust any bowing of the neck in both directions, whereas a single can only be tightened (which would be used to counteract the forward-bow caused by the string tension).
i read that singles have to get a rounded-bottom channel, whereas a dual's channel can be square-bottomed, so the dual wouldnt require a special bit.

besides, installing the truss rod should be the least of your worries.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Invader Jim
i read that singles have to get a rounded-bottom channel, whereas a dual's channel can be square-bottomed, so the dual wouldnt require a special bit.

besides, installing the truss rod should be the least of your worries.

True
SM hotrods aren't that hot... they're thicker than the allparts rods and not as sensitive. the SM rods are like 11mm tall while the allparts ones are 9.5... doesn't sound like much until you start sweating as you're rasping down a thin neck profile

both of them are pretty much just as effective, though... i like dual action rods because you can dial them both ways. The bad thing about the allparts ones, though, is they're 6mm wide and I can't get metric bits in the states very easily... the stewmac ones require special bits (7/32) which are fairly close to 6mm and because of all of the slop my router table has, they work pretty well for both LoL.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I forgot to add:
Carousel made a tutorial on necks. It's in the Central Hub, or whatever it's called now. The page full of links.
..I was watching my death.
Thanks, Ya'll are great. I'll try to post a picture when I get it finished. If the truss should be the least on my worries, what will be the hardest part then?
It depends on what you think is hard. Maybe shaping the neck will be hard because it is a fair amount of physical labor. Maybe slotting the fretboard is hard because it requires precise measurements, the same with placing the bridge.

The easiest way, just think your way through what you are doing. Know what the end result needs to be, what needs to be done, and how you are going to do it. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask, and don't rush into things, just think about them first.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA