Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

I've always been afraid of changing my strings, so I never really did it myself. I tried it once but I ended up failing and getting impatient so I still took it to the shop.

Now I really want to do it myself but I'm always afraid to bring it up to tune, does anyone else have this?

I got a pack of .13's still lying around for my acoustic, but man, isn't that like really tight? Won't that mess up my guitar? I think it's equiped with .11's right now.

Anyone else got this fear? What to do, it's so annoying.
I know how yo feel man.

The BEST thing to do is to learn to tune by ear. That way you know that you are right and your tuner isnt BSing you.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I used to, because I would always snap the high E when tuning it up. But don't worry, those strings won't easily snap and won't mess up the guitar.
.13's are fine for an acoustic. An acoustic guitar uses bronze strings, which for reasons I can't explain exert slightly less tension than the nickel or steel strings of the same guage on an electric guitar.

If you're not sure, go buy some .11's

I'd say you read about changing strings, or watch a video so you know how it's done, and then try it yourself. Once you manage to do it once, it'll be easy. It just takes some time.
I'm afraid of tuning the high e string up from C to E.

Just get a clip on tuner.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
13's? I would be afraid too.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
If you don't own a tuner then just Google "Online Guitar Tuner" and do it like that.

edit, sorry, I misread. I'm not sure if 13s would be too high for an acoustic, guess you could google that.
Last edited by maggot9779 at Jul 14, 2010,
I got a tuner, I think I'll just get some 11's, but it's that fear that it'll snap, mess up my guitar, hit me in the eye or whatever... And I don't want to always have to go to the shop.
My friend has 13's on his acoustic. They're pretty beasty. You need man fingers.
I use 13s on my acoustic. It's fine. They wouldn't make strings that gauge if it was common knowledge that they would damage your instrument. I use 10s on my LP electric.

I was always terrified of changing my strings too, but practice makes perfect. I do it myself all the time, and I'm pretty good at it now. Get a tuner, and keep with strings that you're most comfortable with.
I use this tuner.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I still have a strong fear of changing my high strings. Just thinking about one of them snapping when I'm tuning up for the first time and hitting me in the eye and possibly blinding me. I don't know how I developed this fear but the tension really gets to me every time I change strings.
it demotivates me from playing guitar big time too, i'd want to atleast be able to do something this simple.
Quote by StringAssassin
I still have a strong fear of changing my high strings. Just thinking about one of them snapping when I'm tuning up for the first time and hitting me in the eye and possibly blinding me. I don't know how I developed this fear but the tension really gets to me every time I change strings.

Try to put on some safety goggles, sunglasses, ... anything that protects you eyes then.
13's are pretty standard for an acoustic.

As someone already mentioned, the bronze ones are less tense than stell ones. Bronze is a much softer metal and is more malleable (easier to shape/bend/stretch)
It's really not that hard, once you've done it once or twice, and I've never had this sort of fear, but meh, we're all different.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I have a floyd rose and just the thougts of changing strings makes me fear. It's new, what is the best way to do it?
Quote by GisleAune
I have a floyd rose and just the thougts of changing strings makes me fear. It's new, what is the best way to do it?

use the same gauge of strings at the same tuning it's already set up for

Place the bar in the bridge, point it away from the neck and wedge a thick book in between the bar and the body, so that the bridge sits almost flat with the body. this will make tuning the strings up much faster. As you tune each string up, it will put more tension on the bridge, pulling it up a little, which lessens the tension on the other strings. So every time you tune one string up, you have to adjust the others.
I fear no strings. My strings don't break, they pull out of the Floyd when they get to tight or bend the **** out of them.
Quote by jimmyled
You have a Badger Song avatar!!!!!

Quote by Oprah
VAJAYJAY

Monkey Ball Sack

I'm the same way. I hate HATE chnging my own strings but I have to do it. I suck horribly at it. I always get afraid like one's about to break too.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I hate changing strings, but don't be afraid.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I'm surprised that people have this fear... once I was showed how to do it I did it for myself forever. I like doing it, whack on the tv and just do it... like knitting

Changing a set on my floydrose guitar takes a lot longer... but I still enjoy it. First time I did it I thought my guitar was broken!
I am terrified of changing strings on my Ibanez. The Edge III is a ****ing pain in the arse to re-string. I in fact restrung it about 2 - 3 months ago, and it still lies untuned because I just don't know how to.
Quote by boreamor
I am terrified of changing strings on my Ibanez. The Edge III is a ****ing pain in the arse to re-string. I in fact restrung it about 2 - 3 months ago, and it still lies untuned because I just don't know how to.

Trem tension probably needs adjusting... annoying I know
Quote by vitchb
Trem tension probably needs adjusting... annoying I know

Quite likely. I just don't know how to do it. And I'm too embarassed to bring it to a shop to do it because I've been playing guitar for 4 - 5 years so I should be able to do it. :/
You'll be fine TS.
Everyone has these problems when they first start out, and once you do it two or 3 times it'll be easy for you.
Just take your time, and read the restringing tutorial on here.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I hate changing strings too, when I'm done I always have little scratches all over my arms and face. But my friend loves changing strings so I usually let him do it.
cat
I got hit a couple of times by strings snapping which hurt like hell,I have a kind of trauma now because when I change my strings I lean my body backwards from the guitar and try to keep my hands low.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
I got hit a couple of times by strings snapping which hurt like hell,I have a kind of trauma now because when I change my strings I lean my body backwards from the guitar and try to keep my hands low.

This. I also feel myself sweating and being dead jittery.
I don't fear changing strings, but I hate it, and therefore put it off as long as possible.
Quote by UraniYum
What is the absolute worst that can happen?

Try snapping the G string and let it hit your hand.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by UraniYum
What is the absolute worst that can happen?

I snapped a high E once, and cut the inside of my hand open.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by boreamor
Quite likely. I just don't know how to do it. And I'm too embarassed to bring it to a shop to do it because I've been playing guitar for 4 - 5 years so I should be able to do it. :/

never be embarrassed if you don't know how. shops will show you, they get paid to help. its their job.
i'm Ginger its fun
It's really only hard if you have an FR on your guitar, and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you don't. Just do it, you might screw up the first time but it's really easy to get and once you know how to do it it's not a problem at all.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
No, but never take your guitar to the beach in the summer. Humid cold room turned to humid boiling room every time the door opens, then try to tune up. Strings break. Restringing is no different.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Page 1 of 2