What are the differences between overdrive, distortion and fuzz? As far as I can tel they are generally the same. I am only a beginner btw.
FISH ON!!!!

Quote by Derk'ed
Women love it better with fingers. Treat a bass like a woman. Fingers or piece of plastic?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Names really.
Fuzz pedals: Very gainy, close to a square wave shape, fuzzy sounding effect.
Distortion: A very general term, "distortion" pedals are usually pedals that have a fair amount of gain and just clip your signal.
Overdrive: Again another general term, but in pedals overdrive pedals tend to have less gain and different characteristics.

What kind of sound are you after?
I don't know yet. I play metal with my friends and we have started writing stuff (we are only 14). My friends have agreed that I should play solos after almost constant asking but I am unsure of whether I should have distorted or clean solos. I would like to play some tapping parts too.
FISH ON!!!!

Quote by Derk'ed
Women love it better with fingers. Treat a bass like a woman. Fingers or piece of plastic?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
my advice to you is:
*1. change the avatar, maybe to Primus

*2. pick up a Boss Ds1 distortion pedal. More or less the industry standard. Very versatile. It wont give your the searing face melting distortion you'll get from Death metal pedals, but it has decent crunch with the dist all the way up there. i bought it as a starter distortion about 6 years ago, hasnt left my chain since.
What amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gratefulduck
my advice to you is:

*2. pick up a Boss Ds1 distortion pedal. More or less the industry standard. Very versatile. It wont give your the searing face melting distortion you'll get from Death metal pedals, but it has decent crunch with the dist all the way up there. i bought it as a starter distortion about 6 years ago, hasnt left my chain since.

haters gonna hate...

I would never recommend the DS-1 to anyone who is looking for a pedal because they want something that sounds better than the OD channel on their amp. The DS-1 just doesn't do that. All it does is gives you a different 'flavour' of distortion as such.

Really, the question is, as cathbard said, what amp are you using?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by gratefulduck
my advice to you is:

i have a DS-1 and its real nice (mines actually my dads and its from like the 80's or something so it might be different) and you can combine it with a bit of amp OD if you want to get like a metal rythm tone (on soem amps). well it works of me =).

anyway metal is crap and PRIMUS SUCKS xD ^
Quote by Stugg334
I just started writing a metal solo, and so far I have:

*Hit Lead Button On Mesa*
*Spread legs to width of 160cm*
*Perform facial expression akin to that of having a woodpecker chip away at your rectum*
*Practice scales*

My greencaster =)