I just got a TSL 100 and 1960a cab and while I like it a lot it doesn't have enough gain. I've heard people saying it has more gain than anyone will ever need. Are they talking about when its cranked cos I havent got the chance to go above about 3? Am I doing something wrong? Help, its my first tube amp
Maybe bad tubes? Did you buy it new? The last TSL I played had plenty of gain., but it could be a bit loose. An OD would be something to seriously consider
it has plenty of gain.

check your tubes and your bias.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
it has a lot of gain but the low end is pretty loose some sort of OD should sort it out
if that doesn't help then its probably bad tubes
but those things can definately do high gain i know trivium used to use them and so do atreyu (probably many more)
@josh_salty. thats exactly what I was trying to say. it doesnt seem as tight with palm mutted riffing as I hoped. an od pedal pedal should sort it so? like a boss sd-1 or a tubescreamer?
yerhh common complain of the TSL my other guitarist uses one and im still trying to make him boost it
yerhp both of them should do the job nicely
if your still struggling an EQ may help but i think that should solve most of your problems
Quote by JCARROLL7502
@josh_salty. thats exactly what I was trying to say. it doesnt seem as tight with palm mutted riffing as I hoped. an od pedal pedal should sort it so? like a boss sd-1 or a tubescreamer?

See, that's not what gain is.

But yes, an OD does a lot of good for most JCM2000 amps. A Tube Screamer of some sort should do you some good.
Quote by forsaknazrael
See, that's not what gain is.

But yes, an OD does a lot of good for most JCM2000 amps. A Tube Screamer of some sort should do you some good.

truee but its what gain does! so i think we can let him off for that
hmmm I don't find my TSL loose at all.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
hmmm I don't find my TSL loose at all.

I know the one I played wasn't loose.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
put a sovetk lps in v1 and v2 and watch the raw bassy gain rumble from that amp.
i wouldnt use my dsl without them.
TSL's love tubescreamers. Mine did anyway, I used to leave it on all the time and rolled the amps gain back a little, it made a big difference. Plus adding a choke helped a lot, it really tightened up the low end, it makes it seem like theres more distortion when you palm mute because its a big chug rather than a boom (That probably makes no sense, but the choke + tubescreamer made me like my TSL again, I didnt like it much for a while)
Quote by josh_salty
truee but its what gain does! so i think we can let him off for that

I don't understand this post...

Gain is distortion. Distortion doesn't stop loose bass. It makes it worse. An OD feeds more signal into an amplifier, pushing the tubes harder, making them work harder, which in turn tightens up the sound and adds more punch and, usually, gain.

The gain has nothing to do with tightness. It's just signal distortion. Tightness has to do with EQ and pushed preamp tubes. And circuit design.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
^ He's referring to the fact that gain itself isnt distortion, its a measure of amplification. Distortion comes from amplifying the signal so much that it clips, so the gain causes distortion, but it alone isnt distortion.