basically, i've saved up about a grand to buy a new guitar. I've decided that i want to buy a really good fender strat - something a bit special.
after a bit of research, i found the american deluxe. if i was going to buy this, i would go for the olympic pearl colourway, with the maple neck -

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/dfac2f3ffb828c5d512f78ba870c90ab.jpg

i've read great reviews about it, but i'm slightly worried. various people have mentioned that it just isn't authentic enough - it doesn't deliver that vintage strat tone when playing some slow blues or other clean styles.

so i was wondering, how does it compare to other strats?? is the american standard a more genuine sounding strat, and am i better off saving some money by buying that?

thanks
It wouldn't be about the guitar so much as the pick ups. The Deluxe uses Noiseless. Some folks feel they don't quite get the same vintage sound.
thanks, i've heard that a few times. if i changed the pickups, would i still be able to get the s1 switching system? i heard the big dipper pu's in the john mayer strat are something special!
It doesn't have a traditional vintage Strat tone, but it's good nonetheless. There's a huge difference, quality-wise, between the American Standard and American Deluxes. I would just get the Deluxe and change the pickups if you don't like the tone. If the Deluxe can be had for cheaper than the Standard, definitely just get that. It's not so different that no one is going to identify it as a Strat. It just sounds like a more modernized Strat. The pickups are hotter, fatter, and warmer than traditional Strat pickups, but it retains those single coil characteristics.
Quote by Samlewis1994
thanks, i've heard that a few times. if i changed the pickups, would i still be able to get the s1 switching system? i heard the big dipper pu's in the john mayer strat are something special!
Good luck re-wiring the S-1. Most people who change the pickups give up and take the S-1 out, it's an absolute nightmare to work with.

However, so long as you get one of the new Deluxes, there's really no need to change pickups. The new N3 pickups are, to my ears, no different from any typical low-medium output true single coil, only of course they have reduced hum (though they do have a little more hum than some previous ''noiseless' singles and certainly more than your typical full humbucker). The S-1 switched tones have also been improved, especially the neck + middle combined S-1 tone which really does sound like a full neck humbucker now. Only other thing I would add is consider how often you use bridge single coil tones and if you use the vibrato a lot. The reason I bring this up is because the HSS model comes with an LSR roller nut which massively improves the tuning stability when using the vibrato.

Either way, it's a massive step-up from the Standard in every regard. If you can afford the Deluxe then there is no objective reason to buy the Standard.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i have both a deluxe and an american standard. my deluxe is an hss with hot noiseless pickups and s1. it has a better tonal variation than the standard but is still capable of the classic strat single coil sound.

the build quality and features on the deluxe are better (locking tuners, roller nut, etc). i'd say go for the deluxe.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix