Hey everyone, I've been playing for just under a year now, and i'm getting to the point where I think I can do faster guitar solos. However, when I tried learning, my fretting hand just can't reach the right frets in time. My strumming hand is able to, so it sounds really bad because they're going at different speeds.

Do you guys know any exercises I could try to improve my fretting abilities? Or should I just play the solo very slowly, and gradually work on my speed?
Play to a metronome and start slow. This is the best way to improve on your speed and accuracy as well as your overall rhythm timing.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by ScalesOfDoom
Legato.
A lot of it, legato licks, makes your left hand faster.

Not gonnahelp one bit with the actual problem though.

It's nothing to do with speed, it's the inability to use both hands together that's the problem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Also, make sure you aren't wasting motion with your fretting hand. Try not to move any finger any more than it needs to move. Be sure to stay relaxed at all times too, which is easy to notice when playing slowly, but more difficult to diagnose as your playing speeds up. Even when playing quickly, you should feel just as relaxed as when playing slowly.

If you notice any of these problems while playing, just take it slowly. Go back to the metronome at 60 bpm and just relax.
Basically, if you can't play something fast enough and your hands aren't in synch there's gonna be a whole bunch of small problems that need fixed. Try working through the stickies and work slowly at synching the hands.
Metronome. It can help a lot. Also when doing alternate picking work on making it a forearm movement. Don't alternate pick from the wrist alot. You wont be able to keep up. Pick from the elbow, if that makes sense, keep the wrist stiff.
I feel that alt picking with full forearm motions are a waste of movement. Picking from the wrist in a controlled, relaxed manner is how to maximize speed for alt picking.. just my 2 cents.
Start out slow. Play an exercise at a low tempo (120 BPM is good to start out with,) and
then move up by 5 - 10 BPM once you can play the exercise perfectly at that tempo.

In my opinion, that is the easiest and best way to do this.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Jul 14, 2010,
Thanks everyone, I'll try all the tips you gave, especially the metronome. I'll try picking from the elbow, and if it's uncomfortable i'll stick with wrist picking. I'll also try to stay relaxed and check out the stickies Freepower mentioned.

Quote by TMF128
Start out slow. Play an exercise at a low tempo (120 BPM is good to start out with,) and
then move up by 5 - 10 BPM once you can play the exercise perfectly at that tempo.

In my opinion, that is the easiest and best way to do this.
Thanks, do you have any exercises in mind?
Quote by ajtruj1
Metronome. It can help a lot. Also when doing alternate picking work on making it a forearm movement. Don't alternate pick from the wrist alot. You wont be able to keep up. Pick from the elbow, if that makes sense, keep the wrist stiff.

Wrong

Wrist ftw
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by xCorruptExile

Thanks, do you have any exercises in mind?

Here is are 2 exercises that Michael Angelo Batio demonstrated in one of his videos.

|------------------------------------------------|
|---------11-12-11----------------11-12-11-------|
|11-12-14----------14-12-11-12-14----------14-12-|

If you want to step it up a little bit, you can add some stuff onto it, like this:

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------12-14-15-17~~|
|------------------------------------------------------------------12-14-15--------------|
|---------11-12-11----------------11-12-11----------------11-12-14-----------------------|
|11-12-14----------14-12-11-12-14----------14-12-11-12-14--------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by ScalesOfDoom
Legato.
A lot of it, legato licks, makes your left hand faster.

Hang on, didn't I give you this advice like yesterday in some other thread?! I'm glad it's worked for you so quickly that you can now use it to advise others!
Quote by GilbertsPinky
Hang on, didn't I give you this advice like yesterday in some other thread?! I'm glad it's worked for you so quickly that you can now use it to advise others!

Dude, you give some awesome advice, so I help other people with it.
Prog <3
Last edited by ScalesOfDoom at Jul 15, 2010,
Start slower and then work the speed up or just practice, it's the only real way to do it
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr