Hey,
I bought an MXR Zakk Wylde pedal off e-Bay couple of weeks ago (in as new condition), and it worked perfectly up until last week.
I used it as a boost, and it sounded amazing - no hiss, just a really awesome sounding overdrive. But recently its been sucking volume and overdrive, and just producing a sort of hissing sound
Dunno why this could be, because I unhook all my pedals after use and look after them really well.

I recorded this video of the problem so you guys know what I'm talking about, and hopefully you can offer some solutions -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFu_5CDP5NE

Thanks in advance guys
have you tried batteries or hooking it up to a 9v power supply. otherwise it might be something else like a component but likely a power issue I'm figuring
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Sorry I didn't explain, I assumed the power supply could be seen in the video.
I'm using a power supply for all my pedals, and they all seem to be working fine
Alright mate, Sorry to thread jack (especially at a time of gear worry) but, I just had a question about the wylde overdrive.

I'm thinking of getting one to use as a lead boost on my mesa f-30 and was wondering how much of boost in actual volume can it give me aswell as adding a bit more grit? There is no lead channel on my mesa so when I solo, its at the same level as my rhythm stuff (and our other guitarist) and can't be heard, will the ZW give me the audible boost to lift solos over the band?

Cheers, and good luck getting yours sorted.
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40
No worries!
I never really tried it as a solo boost, but it should work fine. Not quite as much mids as a tubescreamer which is why I got it, but it adds a little more grit and sorta smooths it out.
Should sound awesome over your mesa's overdrive channel!
The only real way to say whether it is right for you is to try it out to be honest, but sounds like it should do what you want!
Quote by im-dizzy
No worries!
I never really tried it as a solo boost, but it should work fine. Not quite as much mids as a tubescreamer which is why I got it, but it adds a little more grit and sorta smooths it out.
Should sound awesome over your mesa's overdrive channel!
The only real way to say whether it is right for you is to try it out to be honest, but sounds like it should do what you want!

Continuing with the high jacking, does it add a good amount of sustain when used as a dirty boost?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
Continuing with the high jacking, does it add a good amount of sustain when used as a dirty boost?

Yeah it adds a nice amount of sustain, and fattens it up a bit. My JVM sounds great for what I play, but the pedal makes it sound amazing and more sort of 'professional'.
I really suggest getting/trying one out, as I was suprised how much it actually makes it sound better
It doesn't look like a power supply issue. Without opening it up and having a look inside, it's going to be hard to tell what's wrong. It could be anything. A bad pot, switch, wire or component.
I've tried opening it, but the component board seems pretty stuck in there so I daren't pull it apart incase I break it.
I'll have a look though and see if I can see any problems, and post some pictures up.
Isn't it already broken?

Some MXR boards are kind of hard to take out. If you are careful and don't force things too much they will come out without too much fuss.

I PM'd you.
Last edited by Griffin Effects at Jul 18, 2010,
Jesus. An overdrive pedal will not raise the volume of your amplifier.

On a dirty channel, the overdrive will add more drive. On a clean channel, it will raise the volume, unless its breaking up. Then, it'll just break up more.

For the record: Using an overdrive as a solo boost WILL NOT raise the volume of the amplifier. It won't make it louder. It will make it dirtier, punchier, and overall it will sound better. If it's on a non-breaking up clean channel, it will raise the volume.

If you want a real solo boost, stick an eq in the loop of your amp. Raise the level slightly. Not too much. Then use the EQ to eq the sound as close as you can to your original sound. Or stick a clean boost in the loop again, set for a small volume boost.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
When I said I used it as a boost, I meant clean boost to drive the amp a bit more.
I know it won't raise volume, and I don't need a solo boost as the JVM has 2 footswitchable master volumes.
But thanks for taking an interest in the thread
Sorry to double post, but here are the pictures. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what I'm looking for!

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks a lot guys, appreciate this!!
I don't think anyone is going to spot anything. The solders look good. You've got a bad component(s) somewhere in there. Someone's going to have to sit down with it and figure out which one(s). I personally would start with the op-amp and then the transistors unless one of he components looks obviously burnt.
The problems I had with mine were with the Drive pot and the foot switch. The foot switch was the initial **** up which caused a loss of volume and noise when clicked on and sometimes when off.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs