I'll be getting a new electric guitar in a few weeks. I have a budget of around £1700. I would love a Gibson Les Paul Traditional. However, I'm blocking out lots of other possibilities. I am planning on trying out some strats and teles too. Anything else I should keep an eye out for/ try? Thanks guys
You're gonna get Ibanez about 346568745758657 times, but...hm. What bands are you playing, and what are you playing through?
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I play rock, blues, classic rock. Stuff like Dire Straits, Guns n Roses, Queen, Funeral for a Friend, Paramore, blues impro.. Etc.

I currently have a Fender Frontman 212R (I know, I know...) which I will hopefully be upgrading to a Vox AC30
Take a look at some fender strats with the HSH or HSS pickup setup or maybe a tele like you said, PRS guitars are very nice, and as much as I hate to prove Enix165 do look at an Ibanez or two. They are pretty versatile guitars.
take your time, visit as many shops as possible and play all the guitars that you can afford, even play some that are 10-15 percent over budget (haggle discount), eventually you`ll find the right one.
There are so many brands out there, just take some time to look around and look at more obscure brands. Marketing doesn't equal quality. Nor does what a company did 50 years ago relate that much to their current products. The world doesn't begin and end with Fender & Gibson (as I think you've realised hence why you've started this thread).

What about Carvin, or Hagstrom, or Godin? Burny, G&L or Gordon Smith. For £1700 the world is (almost) your oyster. A lot of guitars get bought due to the name on the headstock. I'm not saying they are bad, but there must be many brands that produce stuff that is as good, or better, for the same price. And that will mark you out as an individual.
Get something rare and prestige. Some Ovations from the 80's we're to rival LP's and are pretty hard to find.

Ovation GP.... one day...
Quote by leg end
I play rock, blues, classic rock. Stuff like Dire Straits, Guns n Roses, Queen, Funeral for a Friend, Paramore, blues impro.. Etc.

I currently have a Fender Frontman 212R (I know, I know...) which I will hopefully be upgrading to a Vox AC30

K...hm, have you tried a Gibson SG, maybe? A Fender Strat'd probably do you fine too, some people say go for the HSS if you want heavy but I find the SSS to be fine for anything from Boston to CCR to Megadeth. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
if you do want to go with gibson i would consider spending slightly more so you could get a CS r8 reissue.

Regarding other brands... nik huber would be worth a look. PRS. as min said, suhr, tyler, anderson, grosh. Vigier. Lag. Some of the higher end tokais would be worth a look too if you want a LP-style guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ibanezgod1973
take your time, visit as many shops as possible and play all the guitars that you can afford, even play some that are 10-15 percent over budget (haggle discount), eventually you`ll find the right one.

agreed. and also play some a bit under budget too (actually at all price ranges) to make sure that the one at £1700 is worth the upcharge. Just because you have £1700 doesn't mean you have to spend £1700, despite what they shops might imply, lol. You can spend less, or you can save a bit more if you find something you like more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by philipk
what about warmoth guitars?

...I forgot about these guys. If you don't mind putting them together, Warmoth will make you custom bodies and necks, and it'll probably cost you less than a Gibson altogether. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
to add to my previous post, also play identical guitars, no two guitars are identical even from the same manufacturer and the same model and finish, i played lots of jems over a two month period until i found the right one...

also where in the UK are you, i can reccommend a couple of really good stores in and around Manchester
Quote by RBM01991
Carvin CS6

That's all I have to say buddy =]

sorry, but hes in UK i was gonna reccamend carvin, but they're 3x expensive in UK/ europe
Eh.
Try everything! You can never try enough with guitars, I would recommend some Ibanez's, some Schecters, but it also depends what you play.
Quote by Enix165
K...hm, have you tried a Gibson SG, maybe? A Fender Strat'd probably do you fine too, some people say go for the HSS if you want heavy but I find the SSS to be fine for anything from Boston to CCR to Megadeth. =P

Nah, I despise SG's... The look, sound and feel of them... I couldn't get one even if I wanted to haha.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Some of these names I've never even heard of so I will look into them! Thanks very much and keep them coming!
You could go for a little cheaper LP, and maybe get the LP Classic used or something, and then find a MIM tele/strat or even a MIA tele/strat. I think those two add up to about 1700 euro?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
For that kind of money, you can get a PRS Mira with a cool finish like powder blue, or whatever floats your boat !

And this way you get a nice Mahogany body, with coil tapped humbuckers, 24 frets, and killer looks. From what I've heard it really has a kind of LP/SG tone, with many sounds options. Hell that's what I'd buy if I could spend that kind of money for a guitar .

If you get one of these however, you gotta write a review :p.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Vox came out with a new Korean made line of guitars.. apparently I played the first one in Western Canada, it was awesome. Had generic P-Rails with all these toggles, and it vaguely resembled a sunburst SG... very nice. Felt amazingly solid, sounded great, $999 CND

Also if you want an OFR, there is the Schecter Stilleto Classic, and the Ibanez S prestige line and Ibanez RG (I love the look of the RG770 Reissues)
prestige guitas.

At least that's what I'm gas-ing for guitarwise. Just a cheaper suggestion to very expensive Gibsons and whatnot. Personally I think Fender gives a much better value.

EDIT: vintage guitars are way cool, look on your local classifieds first unless you really want a new guitar.
Last edited by Tedward at Jul 14, 2010,