I haven't made a thread in here for a while

Anyways, I,m having trouble getting myself to consistently practice nowadays. I used to play 2 hours a day, and now I play that amount in a week (although it's getting a bit better now ). My question to you guys is:

How do you keep yourself practicing consistently and not slacking off? When and how do you practice?

Also, do you guys have any tips on making practice sessions more effective?

Anything else on practicing?

Anyways, thanks guys!
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Only way i can get practice done is by regularity. Set aside 20mins a day at a given time (say 7pm) when you know you'll normally be free. If yoiu don't have some sort of regularity you just won't get anything done.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
make up some goals like i want to be able to play this and that by this date
Quote by doive
Only way i can get practice done is by regularity. Set aside 20mins a day at a given time (say 7pm) when you know you'll normally be free. If yoiu don't have some sort of regularity you just won't get anything done.

This. Even if you keep them short, several shorter, regular practice sessions in a week will be more effective then one or two longer ones of equivalent time. It also helps if you can consistently challenge yourself, whether that be learning new material, perfecting a technique, building up speed and accuracy, etc.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I find that if I sit down with a metronome I can practice for hours, just getting various techniques faster. Also, find some songs that are really fun to play or sound really cool and play them.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by doive

I think I'll be doing this. Also, can you guys describe how you practice? I'm looking to make my practice sessions more effective

Quote by shmbluh12
Slacking? You should want to play the bass you know

It's hard to describe it. When I'm playing bass I love it, and when I'm not, I dont want too It's weird. It's like I lost the motivation to pick it up, but when I do I feel the way I used too

I cant really explain...
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
Last edited by Rancid Ivy at Jul 14, 2010,
[quote="It's hard to describe it. When I'm playing bass I love it, and when I'm not, I dont want too It's weird. It's like I lost the motivation to pick it up, but when I do I feel the way I used too

I cant really explain...[/QUOTE"]

Im the same way.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by Rancid Ivy
It's hard to describe it. When I'm playing bass I love it, and when I'm not, I dont want too It's weird. It's like I lost the motivation to pick it up, but when I do I feel the way I used too

I cant really explain...

Be careful about forcing yourself to practice. If you force yourself to practice eventually you'll stop wanting to. Though sometimes you really do have to pick up your bass to remember just how good it feels. Everything in moderation eh?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Practicing--here's some things to think about.

1. Keep a practice log. Set some goals and write down what you practice each session. This will keep you focused.

2. Set some reasonable goals and work towards them

3. Quality is better than quantity. A short focused practice without the distractions of TV, other music is better than an hour of noodling around in front of the telly.

4. Record yourself at regular intervals. This way you can hear what you have to correct and be inspired by how far you've come.

I usually try to get in a hour of focused practice a day. I usually work half on scales, arpeggios and woodshedding type items and then half on a specific song or technique.
Go to your local sam ash/guitar center/guitar store and play a bunch of basses and amps. Usually you'll find something you'll like and will instill some interest back into your playing
I find it hard sometimes to just "sit down and practice" whether it be guitar, bass or piano. The thing that puts me off is that I would really like to play fast technical stuff but I lack the ability and it pisses me off :P.

Are you in a band? It helps a lot and will improve your skill so much. And then it will practically force you to practice hahaha..
Yeah i can relate, what has worked for me is to practice more with my band step up
the practices to 2-3 times a week, also organise the time you practice, we jam on two
nights and record on the third. You really feel like you are working the band and improving your playing on a personal level.
'Good Luck'
Last edited by pinkfur at Jul 15, 2010,
I get that too, but I move my amp around a lot and my designated jam room is over some stairs, so I find myself playing unplugged a lot, and I keep a little practice amp around that I boost the treble to the max, I find that it accentuates technique problems and after playing unplugged I kind of need it.

During holiday times I don't find myself playing let alone practicing like I used to. Though I have a new teacher who has got me awake at crazy hours trying to ace this new lick or coming up with new ways around chord changes.

Try and find something that inspires you, best way to pick up and play. then when you want to do harder things you'll start wanting to get better at it.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
Though I have a new teacher who has got me awake at crazy hours trying to ace this new lick or coming up with new ways around chord changes.

Getting regular lessons with a good teacher will definitely inspire you to practice regularly.
Yeah, I probably will be getting a lot more practicing/motivation soon, as I just found a singer for the band I've been wanting to start for a while. All we're missing right now is a keyboard player, and maybe a drummer (The guy I asked still hasn't answered me).

I'll be gone for 2 weeks starting saturday, and when I get back I'll probably be back on track
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
If you arent taking a music theory based approach to learning, try to inject some theory into your learning. You would be amazed at how much a little theory adds to the mix. Look at things such as studying new progressions, and what notes that equates to within a given major or minor chord.

Alternatively, if you are going on the basis of mostly learning by theory, inject a little song learning via tab and use it to liven up your practice sessions.

Take pieces of music where all you know if how the song itself sounds, and the chord progressions and write your own bass lines to them.

If you usually play fingerpicking style, change it up by trying to work more on slapping/popping.

Hope those help.
I just make a wee notepad file on the old laptop and write down somethings I want to work on.

You'll normally find the list is quite big so you have more than one thing to work on,When you you get bored on working one technique use another from your list.

I would also recommend a good teacher too, they can keep you right and make sure you dont get any bad habits/lazyiness in your technique.

I do agree though if you try and make it into a chore thats all its gonna feel like when you play, so just relax and enjoy.