I know this question has been asked 72,345 times, but asking it once more won't do any harm - are there any multi-fx units that can genuinely compete with pedal distortion. So, far I've been weighing up the Boss GT6, the Boss ME50, and the Vox Tonelab. I am not that convinced by either, but what do you think?

Thanks.
Competing with what pedal, though?
A boss DS-1? Sure, some units can do that. A good boutique OD? Nope, except for the Axe-Fx.

It matters a lot if you're planning on running it through an amp. The better POD units and the better Boss units sound pretty good on their own, but when run through an amp they start getting real crappy real fast. They're recording machines, and great for it, but if you're using one live you're going to need to DI it to the PA and do a lot of tweaking to make it sound good.
Thanks. Yes, I'm only interested in running through a Marshall valvestate amp. I'm looking for something to work alongside the amp rather than striving to be something else.

What's the unit that can do a good DS-1 out of interest?

Quote by Roc8995
Competing with what pedal, though?
A boss DS-1? Sure, some units can do that. A good boutique OD? Nope, except for the Axe-Fx.

It matters a lot if you're planning on running it through an amp. The better POD units and the better Boss units sound pretty good on their own, but when run through an amp they start getting real crappy real fast. They're recording machines, and great for it, but if you're using one live you're going to need to DI it to the PA and do a lot of tweaking to make it sound good.
he was calling the DS-1 shitty, for lack of a better word.

EDIT:

I think. I don't want to put words in a mods (cyber) mouth.
Last edited by Tedward at Jul 14, 2010,
out of the ones you listed the me50 or me70 would be the best.The gt series is way to digital and processed imo and sounds like crap unless you dig digital sound.The me50 has some good distortion with decient effects.It has the ds1,mt2 and others built in and sounds much better than any of the gt series.I use the me50 with my valvestate and it sounds great.
Guitars
08 Schecter C-1 Lefty
06 Epiphone LP Standard Lefty
90 Dean ml custom Lefty
84 Kramer Beretta lefty

Marshall Vs 100h
Crate Blue Voodoo 120h
Marshall 1960a cab
Boss Me70
Quote by Tedward

EDIT:

Yeah, close enough . I was mostly referring to it being easier to emulate diode distortion than a boost/OD, but the DS-1 isn't exactly a nuanced or radical pedal which makes it easier to emulate.
Thanks, I'm familiar with the DS-1. It has its uses.

Quote by Tedward

EDIT:

Thanks, will look into it.

I see you've got an '84 Baretta - lefty. Jealous. I'm also a lefty. How does it sound through the ME-50? What kind of music do your play on it?

Quote by MaidenFrieak71
out of the ones you listed the me50 or me70 would be the best.The gt series is way to digital and processed imo and sounds like crap unless you dig digital sound.The me50 has some good distortion with decient effects.It has the ds1,mt2 and others built in and sounds much better than any of the gt series.I use the me50 with my valvestate and it sounds great.
Hey, it's perfectly fine to use a DS-1. Eric Johnson had one on his board for a while, and nobody's going to argue with him. I'm just saying it's perhaps not the thing you should use as a benchmark to decide if a modeling unit is good or not.

Is there a reason one of the PODs isn't on your list? That would be my first choice, unless you can swing a GT-10 or one of the boss rackmount units.
which valvestate is it? my old avt 100 didn't like pedals all that much, especially when being used as a boost on the od channels.

EDIT: eric johnson probably orientated his ds1 to line up with the moon's gravitational pull or something to make it sound better...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an irrational dislike of the "Pod" units. I dislike their aesthetic, their "nu" styling, and the idea of downloading "metal packs" or whatever it's called. It might sound good, but I could probably not get beyond a dislike of the image. It's probably too orientated toward contemporary metal. I'm more of an 80s guy.

I have looked at various racks - few of the early Digitech models, such as the 2120. I actually don't mind if there's a bit of noise in these earlier models. I'm not looking for digital silence. That's silly. Things are meant to hiss a bit when you're pumping juice through them.

My main priority is organic, natural sounding distortion. Can't afford a JCM 800, so looking for next best thing.

About the ME-50: it might just be the way this guy is playing, but I can't say I find this too thrilling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhIp6APtel8

Quote by Roc8995
Hey, it's perfectly fine to use a DS-1. Eric Johnson had one on his board for a while, and nobody's going to argue with him. I'm just saying it's perhaps not the thing you should use as a benchmark to decide if a modeling unit is good or not.

Is there a reason one of the PODs isn't on your list? That would be my first choice, unless you can swing a GT-10 or one of the boss rackmount units.
Valvestate 8080. I never use the OD except if I want to play some cheesy blues drivel. Clean is about okay, but I can't imagine using the dirty channel as the basis of my distortion.

Problem with multi-fx pedals is that they don't bypass the 8080. To this end, I might be better getting a preamp with multi-fx built in.

Same with Lynch - DS1 used to boost an already revved up JCM800.

Quote by Dave_Mc
which valvestate is it? my old avt 100 didn't like pedals all that much, especially when being used as a boost on the od channels.

EDIT: eric johnson probably orientated his ds1 to line up with the moon's gravitational pull or something to make it sound better...
ah ok, i have no experience with the older valvestates (which are allegedly a bit better than the newer ones), so I can't help you there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Organic and natural sounding are probably not what you're going to get with any sort of multi-effects through a valvestate. You could experiment with some marshall voiced OD pedals, but I think the last thing you want for an organic sound with that amp is a digital effects unit in front. Something like a crunch box, perhaps? That should pair well with the 8080. Those old valvestates were good amps, but you don't want to put processing in front of them or use too much of a boost into the preamp.
You think I'd be better running multi-fx rack through the effects loop? Can I run distortion pedals *in front* of amp at the same time as having a preamp in the effects loop?

HAve heard good things about the crunch box - a little tricky to get in UK. Typical for this rotting island.

Quote by Roc8995
Organic and natural sounding are probably not what you're going to get with any sort of multi-effects through a valvestate. You could experiment with some marshall voiced OD pedals, but I think the last thing you want for an organic sound with that amp is a digital effects unit in front. Something like a crunch box, perhaps? That should pair well with the 8080. Those old valvestates were good amps, but you don't want to put processing in front of them or use too much of a boost into the preamp.
I'd stay away from Boss' ME line. I had one for quite a few years, and while I loved it at first, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It sounds horrible. Really sucks your tone. But that's just my opinion, I know other people really like them. Try some out and see what you like.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
What did you settle on instead?

Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
I'd stay away from Boss' ME line. I had one for quite a few years, and while I loved it at first, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It sounds horrible. Really sucks your tone. But that's just my opinion, I know other people really like them. Try some out and see what you like.
Quote by Nylad
You think I'd be better running multi-fx rack through the effects loop? Can I run distortion pedals *in front* of amp at the same time as having a preamp in the effects loop?

Yeah, lots better in the effects loop. I don't think it will help you towards a natural sounding OD, but if you want more versatility out of the amp it's a good solution.
You can use an OD in front with a mulifx in the loop, but you're not going to want to use the multifx for amp emulation when using it with an amp, so you'd probably be limited to ambience effects and maybe light distortion.
Quite. I was thinking of something like a Rocktron rack in the effects loop, then whack a few decent distortion pedals up front. That should elevate the tone, maybe - get the most of the amp without resorting to its distortion.

Quote by Roc8995
Yeah, lots better in the effects loop. I don't think it will help you towards a natural sounding OD, but if you want more versatility out of the amp it's a good solution.
You can use an OD in front with a mulifx in the loop, but you're not going to want to use the multifx for amp emulation when using it with an amp, so you'd probably be limited to ambience effects and maybe light distortion.
supposedly the tonerider british distortion is very like the crunchbox, and is a bit cheaper too. I haven't tried the crunchbox but the tonerider is pretty nice. Though like most dists it can be a bit bright and edgy (but it's noticeably better than e.g. boss).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Nylad
What did you settle on instead?

Lol, I haven't yet. I'm planning on expanding my pedalboard soon, but my set up for now is as follows:

Les Paul Custom -> Vox Night Train

Simple, but by pushing my Vox's Volume and Gain settings past 12 O'clock, I can get anything from cleans, to slightly dirty, to a rock crunch, to a nice lead just by rolling my guitar's volume and tone nobs. I will be adding to my pedalboard soon (which currently only has a Danelectro Blue Paisley on it...awesome for classic rock tones). I'll be getting individual effects pedals though. I'm done with multi-FX. Convenient, but those that I've tried all lack the quality that individual pedals have.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by Nylad
Thanks, will look into it.

I see you've got an '84 Baretta - lefty. Jealous. I'm also a lefty. How does it sound through the ME-50? What kind of music do your play on it?

It sounds great,I play thrash/heavy metal mostly.I mainly use the distortion and delay and use the pedal for volume since the wah sucks.I really like the acoustic simulator when playing clean adds some flar to the sound.I would try one if you can and see if it's for you or not.I don't like everything on the 50 but it's got some usefull stuff in it for sure.Keep rocking fellow lefty
Guitars
08 Schecter C-1 Lefty
90 Dean ml custom Lefty
84 Kramer Beretta lefty

Marshall Vs 100h
Crate Blue Voodoo 120h
Marshall 1960a cab
Boss Me70
Uh, you do know Chuck Shuldiner of Death used a Valvestate to get his sound, right? Pretty sure he used a Valvestate 8080 as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I have never played a 8080 so don't no much about the amp,I have a old vs100 and it does just fine by itself for me.The 50 and 70 are for effects mainly,I use the 2nd overdrive the most and boost it if needed.
Guitars
08 Schecter C-1 Lefty
90 Dean ml custom Lefty
84 Kramer Beretta lefty

Marshall Vs 100h
Crate Blue Voodoo 120h
Marshall 1960a cab
Boss Me70
Quote by MaidenFrieak71

Not to call you out on this or anything man but the COSM modelling on the gt-10 is the same as on the me70. The gt-10 is just a more flexible, tweakable version, and any differences you heard can probably be put down to a poorly set gt-10 or seeing a unit without screens and sub consciously thinking "this is analogue so it will sound better than the digital" when in reality they're both as digital as each other. Tweak a gt-10 for any signifigant amount of time and i'm sure you'd be able to get exactly the same tones as on the me-70.
I did know that. Sadly my playing isn't up to Chuck Shuldiner's level, so our tone is a little different.

Quote by Raijouta
Uh, you do know Chuck Shuldiner of Death used a Valvestate to get his sound, right? Pretty sure he used a Valvestate 8080 as well.
Quote by spitonastranger
Not to call you out on this or anything man but the COSM modelling on the gt-10 is the same as on the me70. The gt-10 is just a more flexible, tweakable version, and any differences you heard can probably be put down to a poorly set gt-10 or seeing a unit without screens and sub consciously thinking "this is analogue so it will sound better than the digital" when in reality they're both as digital as each other. Tweak a gt-10 for any signifigant amount of time and i'm sure you'd be able to get exactly the same tones as on the me-70.

Maybe your right but from what I remember they were vastly different and the gt to me was way more digital sounding than either the 50 or 70 I didn't tweak it much cause I didn't care for it so no need to sit and tweak it.This was at GC so who knows maybe the gt was messed up I will give it a go again next time I'm in GC.
Guitars
08 Schecter C-1 Lefty
90 Dean ml custom Lefty
84 Kramer Beretta lefty

Marshall Vs 100h
Crate Blue Voodoo 120h
Marshall 1960a cab
Boss Me70