So, upon the advent of selling my Go-Kart, I will recieve 200 dollars to use for some new woodworking equipment.
I've already gt a Bandsaw and Drill Press picked out, used of course. Both are tabletop as far as I know. Bandsaw may be free-standing, or whatever it's called(on the floor) as the seller has no pictures.
Band saw is 3 speed.
I'm also going to get on of those Robo-Sanders for the drill press.
Also, next pay-check, going to get a Vacuum system put in.

Now, my real question:

How can you get by without a Jointer.
I know a planer is required, for making your own blanks, but is there a way to get my edges squared on a tablesaw or something?

I have a router also, if that's useable for my task.
..I was watching my death.
You can use a table saw, but it's not ideal for anything other then large stock. I actually bought one of those cheap electric planers/jointers, then built a stand for it, so it's mounted upside down. Viola'! Cheap 30$ jointer.

I never bothered buying a planer either. Made a jig that holds the router above the stock, and planes it down as i need.

Also, you can always buy a handplane for your joints as well, i have one of those as well.

Hope that helps
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Jul 14, 2010,
You can joint with both the table saw and the router.

Google this:

"jointing using a tablesaw"
"jointing using a routher"

Tons of info out there on how to make your own jigs to do this.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Bobby, I saw you talking about your router jig in another thread.
I attempted to build my own, but gave up after a while.
Maybe I could have pics?

I have a 30 year old Hand Planer, it may even be 40 years old. It is my Dads. I just need a grinding wheel to sharpen it.

Handgrenade,
Google completely slipped my mind. Thanks.
I have a router(2 actually) and one is meant to be mounted to a table, which I have.

I'm going to ask another question:
What is the use of a Cross-Cutting jig on a tablesaw?
The woodwork shop at school has one, but I don't really see the use. You can just use a guide. This is probably a newb question.
Sure can. The bolts you see on the side are the rails, there built like this so i can add more or take some off, to get the desired height/clearance. On top of that sit's a piece of 1/2" ply with a slot down the middle for the router, and there's wooden guides glued to the outside, that run along the outside of the rails.
Hope this makes sense?

I usually secure the piece by screwing through the stock down into the base, as seen in the one pic. You can also use a bunch of double sided sticky tape if you want.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Plenty of sense was made.
Thanks.

It's just like an X/Y axis CNC.
Now, I will pretend I'm a robot while using this thing

How is it for the Y-Axis sliding? I might just outfit mine with some old rollerblade, or skateboard wheels.
I just sanded mine real fine, and it slides nice. Doesn't slide freely, but doesn't require a whole lot of force either.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
I'll probably take some of the old bearings from my brothers longboard. He replaces them every 2 months or something.
i've got a jointer, planer, 2 bandsaws, 2 belt/disk sanders, drill press, radial arm saw, table saw and soon to be CNC router... plus i'm building my own drum/thickness sander and have 2 dust collection systems and a shop vac... i like toys
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
a cross cutting jig/sled is used to support a part when you cross cut it. a table saw should never be used without a fence or mitre gauge or cross cut jig/sled and never use them together because the workpiece can get jammed between the fence and blade when you're cross cutting and kick the part back at you...

go on youtube and search table saw kickback...

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I've been doing cross-cuts since I started, and never had any problems though. I don't see the need for the cross-cutting jig.

I know what kickback is. The whole in my wall proves this... Luckily, I learned to always stand away from the blade, stand to the side, and no pain will be felt. Unless the blade shatters for soem reason.

Lastly, what's the need for all the tools? 1 should be enough, unless you have employees, or something.
I bought small/cheap machines to get started... the smaller belt sander i got for $25 brand new... paid 99 for the bandsaw (9"), the drill press was free, the larger belt sander was $20 used, my delta bandsaw I got used for $100 (usa made!), jointer was $125, planer was $375, radial arm saw was free... i'm probably going to look into selling the small bandsaw and the radial arm saw. the table saw was $300 brand new in the box... it's the ridgid granite top table saw

half of my equipment was used, half of it was new and either on sale or relatively inexpensive. i also have a bosch electric hand planer that i bought because i had a gift card and needed to blow it on something... it gets used, though, but not often...

but i'd eventually like to hire a helper if/when i get more serious with the guitar stuff... this years annual report is going to look a lot better than last years, that's for sure! i've already made like 5x what I made last year

p.s. - last year I made $600

I went to your website.
You need pricing on pickups. I may buy one if they are relatively cheap.

My table saw was free, except, it's missing lots of features, like an extender table(Gonna have to build one)
Anti-kickback fingers
Splitter(Stops binding, not sure of name)

Routers were free. Most of the stuff is my dads, but I use it more than him.

Bad news everybody!
My Go-Kart wont start.
I guess I'll have to switch from Luthier mode to Mechanic mode. Tried all the simple stuff. I just hope the Carb doesn't need to be cleaned. That'd be a pain in the ass.

EDIT: I fixed it. Turns out some idiot fooled around with the Idle controls... Also, the gas was really old(1 year).

And, I might start making that Router jig that lets you plane. Gotta figure out a system for it.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Jul 15, 2010,
my old site comes up sometimes... i have to do some housekeeping on the server... my pickups are priced as follow:

single coils - $70, $200 for set of 3 (save $10)
humbucker with A2 or A5 magnet - $85, A8 - $90, rare earth - $95, covers are $20 additional (they're f*kin' expensive even @ my cost!!! )

I also give discounts on large orders...

I'm going to start making P90's very soon, too... possibly as soon as i place my next order for parts.

I've got a lot to say on tools, so here it goes... but I'm sorry if I didn't read everything, I'm exhausted and really just want to sleep. So anyway, I'd suggest getting old Craftsman tools. Check craigslist, you can get each of them for like $100-$150. They might need a good tune up and cleaning, but they are worth it. My drill press was $125 and is a 15.5" floor model, solid as a brick shit house, and all cast iron. You just cant beat it! IMHO newer just doesn't equal better, unless you've got a $5000+ budget. The one thing I will say though, is get a newer planer. The 12.5" ones should work fine, as the bigger ones are $500+ even used. Be sure it has decent size in and out feed tables though. I'd get atleast a 12" band saw, and my 1/2 horse motor is a bit weak. Make sure your jointer (and yes, I REALLY do think you need one) has a long fence. Make sure the table saw has a big table! Thats a mistake I made, mine has a nice powerful 2.5 horse motor, but the table is ****ing worthless! An equal height counter can counter act that too.

Sorry this was a ramble, but I'd suggest you have a 2+ hp table saw, floor stand drill press, 12"+ bandsaw, planer with nice infeed and outfeed tables, and a good solid jointer with a nice long fence for a shop. I have all of these and don't think I really need much else floor/bench mount stuff, and I have a grand total of about $550-$600 in it. I'd say buy one legit tool and be done with it, rather than keep ****ing around with poorly made and/or inaccurate POS's, even if it takes you a year or year and a half (like it did me) to accumulate them.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
2+ hp will usually require 220v power. The table saw I have is the granite top ridgid hybrid similar to the steel city. 1.5hp motor and requires a 20 amp breaker on a 110v service if i'm not mistaken. Anything over 1.75hp that i've seen is usually a 220v motor or requires a 30 amp breaker and I don't have room in my panel box for more breakers (aside from the dedicated one i'm going to have to install for my dust collection unit). I have the 14" delta made in pittsburgh, pa from like 1995 or some shit... it's a wonderful unit. I put the 6" riser on it and can resaw something like 12.5" with accuracy like you wouldn't believe (for a saw cut, that is). my planer is 12.5" and serves the purpose I need... sizing stock before jointing/gluing. I usually get a good joint the way I glue my bodies and only require a light palm sanding to get things nice and flat but I'm in the process of making a thickness sander for that... The old craftsman serial 113 machines are, supposedly, the diamond in the rough. I have a 113 jointer that works pretty well despite its age and origin (taiwan, i think). The fence is a little finniky but i think ol' bessie just needs a good once over. other than that it's a monster.

I love my table saw, though... it's a brick shit house. weighs in at like 350+lbs or some shit. The granite table is lovely, too . I want to build modular in and out feed tables for it, though. But i dont have room for large dedicated units. I'm already pretty much out of space and have to find room for my CNC