Hey UG
So at college today there was a live band, and they sounded awesome, and i noticed he had a fender amp. They were playing things like, kings of leon, queen ect. and his tone was real nice. I know he used some pedals, and i dont know what model fender it was, but it was definitely tube. I just wanna know, if i bought a fender amp, and bought the appropriate pedals, would it do metal, aswell as other genres such as queen, etc.
Also, how do the cheaper side of fender amps perform? And are there any better, cheap alternatives <£400

Thanks all
Tom
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
I don't think they can do anything like death metal and the likes too well, but they definitely can do anywhere from blues to hard rock.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
If I remember correctly, the supersonic line of amps is meant to play metal; however, most of the other Fender amps are actually clean platforms with lots of headroom
The cheaper amps would be the hot rod deluxe, the blues junior, or something like that... they sound good clean but have horrid overdrive channels (talking about the hot rod here). PErsonally, I find the hot rod to be very sterile in its cleans, and a bit too bright; you might as well look at a Traynor ycv40 if you can find one, a Laney VC30 (though it'd be closer to a vox AC30) or something amongst those lines
Why did you not ask him?!?!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
if i bought, say, an MT-2, would it go well with a fender amp?
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
it was an example lmao, just thought of the first pedal i could think of.
But it could do metal if pushed?
Gear:
Snark Headstock tuner!
you can do metal with a twin reverb, it's gonna be very loud but possible, with only a good booster that is
Last edited by stykerwolf at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by richyt93
it was an example lmao, just thought of the first pedal i could think of.
But it could do metal if pushed?

A clock radio can do metal with a metal voiced pedal in front of it. The question is will it do it well? Not really, depends on the pedal but you'd have to work real hard to get a great metal sound from a set up like that. If, however, you play mostly lighter stuff and just want to be able to mess around with harder stuff from time to time, it should be fine.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
In general, Fenders don't do metal well. Their feel is just too soft. Great for cleans and various medium gain things, not so good for high gain. The open back speaker enclosures don't help either. Pedals are an option, but they're not going to change the basic feel of the amp.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
supposedly that fame gta15 is a clone (with better parts) of the pro junior, for about half the price. musicstore in cologne sells them (free postage to the UK too, but you'd have to get a UK kettle lead, lol, and also make sure it actually takes a kettle lead and that the lead isn't wired in, in which case you'd need an adaptor).

But it might be worth considering. EDIT: I haven't tried it and haven't verified that it is a clone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Even Bigger D
In general, Fenders don't do metal well. Their feel is just too soft. Great for cleans and various medium gain things, not so good for high gain. The open back speaker enclosures don't help either. Pedals are an option, but they're not going to change the basic feel of the amp.

+1

if your main priority is cleaner stuff, and you only occasionally play heavier stuff, then a fender with a pedal might work.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?