Sorry if this the wrong place or there is already a thread dedicated to this subject. I've started a band with some friends and I want to get an amp that's capable of gigging. I play alternative, punk and rock. I don't care about wattage or what make it is, as long as it's capable of gigging and in my price range which goes up to £350. I am willing to go used, but it's very unlikely I'll be able to find a specific amp used around here. Any suggestions, please?
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I'm not a big fan of "modeling" amps, but I would suggest the Peavey Vypyr 75watt'er w/ 1x12. I've played it, and it seems pretty sturdy
Quote by charles_ebarb
I'm not a big fan of "modeling" amps, but I would suggest the Peavey Vypyr 75watt'er w/ 1x12. I've played it, and it seems pretty sturdy

I'm not really a fan of modelling amps myself, but I guess it can't hurt to take a look at one. Any other suggestions?

S A D B O Y S
what do you mean by alternative, rock and punk? how much of each do you play? how much headroom do you need for cleans? what's your current gear?

you're in the right place, don't worry.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what do you mean by alternative, rock and punk? how much of each do you play? how much headroom do you need for cleans? what's your current gear?

you're in the right place, don't worry.

By alternative I mean bands like the Flaming Lips, by punk I mean bands like the Ramones and by Rock I mean garage sounding bands like The Hives. My playing will mix up clean tones and overdrive tones fairly regularly, although the clean sound will probably be most important as I won't need excessive gain. My current gear is pretty shite, I have a Stagg S300 that I've had for six years and a crappy practice amp. I hope this info helps.

Edit: It might also be helpful to point out that I'm a rhythm guitarist.

S A D B O Y S
Last edited by I.O.T.M at Jul 14, 2010,
nothing terribly high gain, then? i'm not too familiar with the flaming lips. i guess you could consider a laney vc30? do you prefer british or american tones? the vc is more british, but i prefer it to the lc. the bugera v series are meant to be quite nice too (for the price) but i haven't tried them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Laney's are both over my budget, so I can't consider them. The Bugera is within my budget so I'll look at that. What wattage will I need? The 22 watt or the 55 watt? Both are within my budget.

S A D B O Y S
Both 22 and 55W tube will blow the paint off the walls just about anywhere. Depends how loud you need to be clean I'd go w/ the 55W personally.
Hiwatt Maxwatt 100. Seen them for around £260 and they are well loud enough for gigging. Not a modelling amp so thats a plus and they can deliver nice cleans or creamy distortion. They don't5 have that 'in your face' punch of a valve combo but are serviceable for any reasonable gig, light to haul around and very reliable.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Laney VC15? It will work as long as you're miced up, and in the future if you want something more out of it you can just buy a cab for it.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

yeah, depends on how much headroom you need for cleans, and which amp's tone you prefer too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?