what is the best and most affordable way to sound proof a room?? foam wedges???

if anyone has any input id gladly appreciate it, thank lots guys!

i wasn't sure where to post this, feel free to move
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
I've heard a wall of Styrofoam is good, never used it myself though
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Well sound "proofing" is fairly expensive. That means get a bunch of rockwool and stuff it into every wall, ceiling, and tiny gap you can find in that basement. Fill windows with a plywood/rockwool sandwich, make sure the door is thick and maybe put some material on that too. Bass traps are supposed to work wonders too, you can even put all the amps/drums on a platfrom of plywood and 2x4s, or whatever, and then put foam or rockwool (rockwool kicks ass) underneath the platform, isolating its bass.

You can then throw loose, thick blankets on all the walls to kill the reverb, which is more so a personal thing, not so much for the neighbors.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
+1 sound condition isn't the same as sound proofing.
you can condition a room using egg cartons or styrofoam but proofing means doing an entire rebuild of the room.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
+1 sound condition isn't the same as sound proofing.
you can condition a room using egg cartons or styrofoam but proofing means doing an entire rebuild of the room.

using egg cartons and styrofoam may not be up to building code, so probably not a great idea
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
using egg cartons and styrofoam may not be up to building code, so probably not a great idea
Building code is dumb lol, do whatever you want (within reason). I don't think anyone will give you any shit for throwing some dampening materials on the walls.

Do you live in an apartment?
i live in a house, i dont have a basement , its just a front room. what is the difference between sound proofing and sound conditioning?

EDIT: rockwool seems very inexpinsive and woud it work better than the foam stuff made for studio type stuff?
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Last edited by 3hta_bryce at Jul 14, 2010,
sound conditioning is killing standing waves and reflections so that the sound sounds better in the room.

proofing is making the room sound proof so no sound bleeds out of it.
Quote by 3hta_bryce
i live in a house, i dont have a basement , its just a front room. what is the difference between sound proofing and sound conditioning?

EDIT: rockwool seems very inexpinsive and woud it work better than the foam stuff made for studio type stuff?

The foam stuff is just for sound conditioning. You would put that on the wall, in the open. Rockwool is basically that Pink Panther fiberglass wool insulation, except about twice as dense. You actually put rockwool inside of the wall, windows, etc.

But then again, you could put rockwool in everything everywhere, and the heat vent will still let tons and tons of volume out.
so does sound conditioning also help with sound that is bleeding out? like, will it kill excess sound waves and stop it from transfering between walls etc....?
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Quote by 3hta_bryce
so does sound conditioning also help with sound that is bleeding out? like, will it kill excess sound waves and stop it from transfering between walls etc....?
No, not really. I mean if you had a fancy decibel measuring device like AM, you could measure it, but nothing noticeable to most ears. What is most important is that it sounds good INSIDE (atleast within most cares and budgets).

What does front room mean? Did your parents play around with eachother too much, and had to convert the 3 season entryway to your bedroom?

In that case, you have waaaaay too many windows there and sound proofing will never work for your neighbors. You can, however, throw some blankets up for The Tone

credit: egg cartons suck FTW! I took about 72 flats for eggs from my work at one point. Spend many a hour getting them up all over the room, and they didn't do crap. Lacks the consistent density to block the waves, goes right through.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jul 14, 2010,
it has 2 windows,every room in the house has 2 windows lol, and
i dont have neighbors, i just want some sound proofing type stuff so i can play with out getting my parents all pissed and what not.
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Read this:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/blog/

I suggest you read 311's blog, it will explain a lot in layman's terms. If you need it, there is a blog describing how to make a poor man's probe in my profile too. You shouldn't have adjusted that trimpot without measuring the bias current. If you set it too high the plate will melt.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Read this:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/blog/

I suggest you read 311's blog, it will explain a lot in layman's terms. If you need it, there is a blog describing how to make a poor man's probe in my profile too. You shouldn't have adjusted that trimpot without measuring the bias current. If you set it too high the plate will melt.

wut??
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Quote by 3hta_bryce
it has 2 windows,every room in the house has 2 windows lol, and
i dont have neighbors, i just want some sound proofing type stuff so i can play with out getting my parents all pissed and what not.

Get a crapload of rockwool, with parental permission, and stuff it into every nook and cranny you can, including windows and vents, pull off the drywall, etc. Be carefull, its an eye and skin irritant. Replace drywall with same or new (new if its already mudded, most likely your situation).

Or you could buy some headphones?
hm... yes, but, i wouldent be able to set up recording's good and what not with headphones, also, they wouldnt et me destroy the room lol, i could possibly, take wool blankets, put on wall, then rockwool,then more wool blanket then plywood/drywall then possible foam peices??
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Oops, typed in the wrong tab. ie wrong thread.

For this thread: Building a room inside a room with an airgap and some insulation is the best way to do it. Nice heavy drapes around the room will work pretty well too but that doesn't help stop the sound going through the floor and the ceiling but sometimes that doesn't matter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 14, 2010,
ya if you have a window and doors it's gonna do do much good for proofing if you just get the walls.

the entrance door will destroy it.

the biggest improvement you could make it by replacing your door with a double steel door and building gap covers for your windows.
hm.. is there a double steel door that is like a double type door? thats what we have for it now, also, how would i build gap covers? like put ply wood over the window?? but i dont need to keep sound escaping to the outside, its only the inside im worried about

like only the door ans one wall would keep most sound from going to the other rooms to the house if the other walls dont have rooms connecting to it?
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Two doors is good so there is a gap between them. I've seen rehearsal studios where they fitted a door to both sides of the jam and it worked quite well. Funny watching people open the inside door and walk into the outside door too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm no expert so I'm just gonna throw some numbers out here.

Completely proofing a window and a door will effectively cut down on like 80 percent of sound bleed if your house is constructed well. followed by ceiling and then side wall. this is assuming you've got like double layered drywall. and something else for the house framing. unless everything was coupled together when it was built.

do you have central air conditioning for the room your playing in? that's a big problem too. if you have vents and airways you can't seal you're screwed.
ok, so seal all connecting walls , get a double steel door, and seal air vent.

if i opened up the steel door and filled it with the rockwool stuff , wouldnt that also help be more sound proof?
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
I mean theoretically yes. But you want know unless someone actually tests the room to see where bleed is occuring.
yeah, ill see about having that done soon, thanks for a the help guys
MIM Fender Strat
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
The airgap inside the door will work fine, should be no need to fill it with rockwool. What it sounds like you've got with the door would be equivalent to double glazed windows.
If you are sure the sound is getting through the door, do the double door trick I described earlier, it works a treat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 15, 2010,
just rebias your tubes and....BOOM.....Sound proofed.

j/k

My limited experience in my basement also tells me that the more carpet the better. Drywall too. Stuff on the walls, even blankets hung up, can help with the sound deflection. Vents are good if you have AC running in - to keep things cool but they do pose a problem as mentioned. For me, it is mainly that they rattle. I've screwed them back in with an assortment of paper towels strategically located and that seems to help

just my .311 cents

PS: PM eyebanez333 - he is building a mini studio in his garage possibly with an iso box so he may have some good tips.

+1 to everything else in this thread
The most difficult thing when sound proofing is getting the bass out, in our practice space, we used double walls. We build a room inside another room using some kind of plates I got for free somwhere, they were like Plywood and filled with carton. So eventually we had from inside to outside Sound->Firstwall(Plywood-Carton-Plywood)->Nothing->Second Wall(Plywood-Rockwool-Plywood)->Outside wall. It works pretty wel, we also have double door. Wasn't that expensive since we got the wall plate thingies somewhere for free, but you can still kind of hear it outside, you know like the bassdrum and bassguitar.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
just rebias your tubes and....BOOM.....Sound proofed.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
eyebanez333 - he is building a mini studio in his garage possibly with an iso box so he may have some good tips.

Yup. Completely sound proofing would be incredibly expensive to do...unless you're starting from scratch and building an entirely new room. For my studio, I'm using a false, insulated ceiling, covered in fabric, and staggered studs for the new walls. Then for the walls, I'm doing a foam and acoustic panel combo. Foam is pretty cheap...but building your own acoustic panels is even cheaper. I lucked out, because our other guitarist is a music major, and he built nine 703 acoustic panels for one of his projects and just gave them to me My studio isn't done, but when we're working we listen to music through our band PA and it's definitely making a difference. They get a lot of recommendations on the forums for a cheap sound conditioning method. Plenty of youtube videos showing how to make them.
There is a type of drywall used in duplexes and condos with common walls thats supposed to make a huge difference in sound transmission but they also use double walls.

Problem is if your trying to please parents with overly sensitive hearing who are tired of hearing your cranked 30w tube amp or something your really not going to accomplish much. Might end up being cheaper to move into your own place or just learn to live with using a smaller amp or headphones when noise is going to be an issue. I know my mother used to complain about the neighbors 4 blocks over having a party when I couldn't even hear it.
A lot of what you are talking about is sound deadening rather than sound proofing eyebanez. I agree with what you said however. The deadest studio I have ever been in was one at the Victorian School of Art (no, I didn't go there, I was a visitor). It was so dead that you could hardly hear anbody talking to you if they weren't facing you directly. It was actually rather uncomfortable it was so dead. Really weird sensation.
They used carpet with a generous underlay behind it. It wasn't a thick shag, sort of middling length. The whole room was covered in it including the ceiling iirc. With that sort of acoustic deadening you could jam in a broom closet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
A lot of what you are talking about is sound deadening rather than sound proofing eyebanez. I agree with what you said however. The deadest studio I have ever been in was one at the Victorian School of Arts (no, I didn't go there, I was a visitor). It was so dead that you could hardly hear anbody talking to you if they weren't facing you directly. They used carpet with a generous underlay behind it. It wasn't a thick shag, sort of middling length. The whole room was covered in it including the ceiling iirc. With that sort of acoustic deadening you could jam in a broom closet.

...yeah that's what I meant. If you wanted to sound proof a room, you'd really want to start from scratch IMO. Use quietrock for the walls, a lot of wall treatment, double doors, no windows, no vents, etc. I'm just 'conditioning' my studio. I'm not going for a completely dead room....because I like having some room prescence when recording drums, but the vocal booth will be completely isolated and dead...as will the boxes with the mic'd cabs in the loud room. I toured a local studio here and got my ideas.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 15, 2010,
I used a studio once that used double glazed windows for soundproofing and it was wonderful. I had natural light (and surprisingly my flesh didn't ignite) and it was really quiet in there. I agree, to sound proof it properly is a big job. As I said, the best way to go is to build a room inside a room.
It is surprising how well heavy drapes work to cut sound through the walls though and they work well as deadening too. You can sometimes pickup ugly drapes from the Op Shop for next to nothing. Ugly is good, it brings down the price.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
we use some ugly ass blankets to manage sound in the basement we practice in. They work suprisinginly well...they weigh a ton and look like something that would have been popular 40 years ago...but they work.