Page 1 of 2
First let me say sorry for bombarding this forum with questions! Here is my latest and at the same time oldest conundrum.

You have probably all heard U2s Beautiful day correct? The tone used for the chorus is what has been bugging me for at least 5 years. I've tried to replicate it but so far I've been very unsuccesful. Some other bands use this tone as well and I've always wondered how to do it. Does anyone have an idea to get this tone? Just tell me so I can save my sanity!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8w7f0ShtIM

Here is a vid for reference.
This is a very standard british overdrive sound
Nothing special here
Quote by Darkflame
vox ac30, crank it a bit

The song was actually done on an Orange Rockerverb 50 with a 4X12. The second one that is.
Quote by Darkflame
^you can still get this kind of tone with an ac30 lol =)

What would be the settings? I have a VT30 that has an AC30 setting on it, sounds somewhat convincing. I'm also going to get an AC30 soon.
Quote by Roc8995
I believe the proper setting is "Loud."

I'm not just looking for distortion this sound sounds clean with an edge of distortion to it. I've cranked my Vox to the limits and it has never produced a sound like that, not even close. I've also cranked an AC30 the other day.
Quote by SmokeJs
It sounds clean yet distorted at the sametime I can never get it. I also found another song with a similar sound in the chorus.

You can never get it because you have a cheap practice amp
The clean yet distorted sound you're talking about is called power tube saturation (some pedals can emulate that pretty well though)
Last edited by Sguit at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by Sguit
You can never get it because you have a cheap practice amp
The clean yet distorted sound you're talking about is called power tube saturation (some pedals can emulate that pretty well though)

True that I've only had cheap practice amps, I've played an AC30 and many Marshalls before though. What is a good pedal that can emulate that sound?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Just sayin'.

It's a great delay pedal but I'm only looking for whatever distortion Edge is using. The second video is probably gives a clearer picture of what I'm looking for (the tone is in the chorus)
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by SmokeJs
True that I've only had cheap practice amps, I've played an AC30 and many Marshalls before though. What is a good pedal that can emulate that sound?

Well, you need something transparent and not too dirty, a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret running on 18v does that pretty well.
My Fairfield Barbershop also gives me a really nice cleans overdriven sound but it's more low-fi sounding so I don't think it's what you want.
Wampler also does amazing dirt pedals, the Plexidrive is an awesome Marshall in a box and it would certainly give you the sound you're after.
But then again, you need an amp with good cleans for such pedals to work well.
Quote by Sguit
Well, you need something transparent and not too dirty, a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret running on 18v does that pretty well.
My Fairfield Barbershop also gives me a really nice cleans overdriven sound but it's more low-fi sounding so I don't think it's what you want.
Wampler also does amazing dirt pedals, the Plexidrive is an awesome Marshall in a box and it would certainly give you the sound you're after.
But then again, you need an amp with good cleans for such pedals to work well.

Well like I said I should be picking up an AC30 pretty soon.
Quote by SmokeJs
Well like I said I should be picking up an AC30 pretty soon.

Well, if you're picking an AC30, why do you need a dirt pedal
Seriously, the AC30's drive would be perfect on it's own
Quote by Sguit
Well, if you're picking an AC30, why do you need a dirt pedal
Seriously, the AC30's drive would be perfect on it's own

Well, problem solved!
Everyone thanks for all of your help! I hope I can get that tone with the AC30
Yeah, just wait untill you get your AC30, crank it abit, and you'll get that sound just fine.

To get this tone it also helps if you: wear a stupid beanie hat, change your name to something really stupid, act like a stupid twat all the time, and hang around with the self proclaimed second coming of Jesus.

Hope that helped.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
To get this tone it also helps if you: wear a stupid beanie hat, change your name to something really stupid, act like a stupid twat all the time, and hang around with the self proclaimed second coming of Jesus.

Hope that helped.

Now if I could only find the Bill Bailey skit where he hangs shit on the Edge we'd be set.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Go2DK9VtQ

Pretty much sums up that stupid idiot in that stupid band.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Oh well done. I'd save it quick if you want it because Bill Bailey has already made Youtube take it down once.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you're also going to need 1200 reverb, delay, and octave pedals so that even though your a no talent ass clown from ireland or wherever the **** he's from you can play a single note during any song and make it sound like your shredding in the ocean. gah. it might get loud...I'm so glad they put the edge in. it made him look like a complete tool.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
you're also going to need 1200 reverb, delay, and octave pedals so that even though your a no talent ass clown from ireland or wherever the **** he's from you can play a single note during any song and make it sound like your shredding in the ocean. gah. it might get loud...I'm so glad they put the edge in. it made him look like a complete tool.

I don't like Edge or U2 but what I do like is that tone in the chorus of a beautiful day and that second song.

Here is the second song which is probably a better representative of what I want. I just used Beautiful day as an example because It's well known.

But anyhow here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsatgALVnXc

The tone I want is at 1:37, the equipment this band uses is the Boss Bluesdriver, The Rocker 50 with a 4x12 cab and Fender Mustangs and stratocasters. And yes this is the second song I posted

And you guys are cracking me up right now!
nothing against u2. You record that many songs you gotta come up with some good ones. and girls like them I guess. and somebody's gotta save africa. It might as well be bono.

The edge is just. He's just not a rockstar. He wears a skull cap. and does yoga. and. gah. he's like a cougars wet dream.
Quote by AcousticMirror
nothing against u2. You record that many songs you gotta come up with some good ones. and girls like them I guess. and somebody's gotta save africa. It might as well be bono.

The edge is just. He's just not a rockstar. He wears a skull cap. and does yoga. and. gah. he's like a cougars wet dream.

I wonder how many effect pedals that guy has, his rig must be insane.
he shows it in the movie. it's a truck.
and he's explaining how he gets the tone for like this one song and he says.

listen to this it sounds like I'm playing a lot of notes but I'm not. I'm only playing these three over and over. the effects do the rest.

then jack white stabs him in the eye with a wound g string.
Quote by Roc8995
I believe the proper setting is "Loud."

This.

On a real AC30 that is.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
This.

On a real AC30 that is.

I hear the AC30CC2 is disapointing.
Like most of you I've played quite a few U2 songs. It's never hard to play the notes, it's getting all the bs effects sounding right that takes the effort. I think that says it all really. Most of it's so easy to play that you may as well be putting on a cd. Hit the play button and let the cd player do everything or hit one note and let the effects do everything - not a lot of difference imo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Are Axe-Fx owners like The Edge more than they can sound ridiculous? Yes.

wat
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Page 1 of 2