I've come to the decision that I have the money for a new amp. Not gonna lie though, I'm big on aesthetics and I like the look of Marshalls lolz.

However this is what is important:
~ Artists similar to are 3 Doors Down, Breaking Benjamin, GNR(as in Slash), Killers, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Rise Against, and Staind.
~ All tube amp
~ At least 50 watts but I'd like the ability to switch between 100/ and 50 watts

I've got about $600 to spend asap but I can definitely spend more. I appreciate any and all suggestions. I will definitely go used too. Thanks
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
First off, why "at least 50w" I have a 40w amp and it is really too loud, certainly can't play it in bedroom and i annoy sound guys when i start cranking it loud in the sort of small gigs i play.

Why specifically all tube? Do you just think "thats how amps should be" or do you have a reason to want to use technology that would be more at home in the second world war?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Vypyr Tube 60.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
50 because I like the sound of amps cranked to insanity with a lot of power.. just a fettish?

Quote by Rcasa630
50 because I like the sound of amps cranked to insanity with a lot of power.. just a fettish?

If you want an amp cranked to insanity and to keep your eardrums then get a smaller amp. A cranked 50w amp will (normally) really shake some walls :s
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive

Why specifically all tube? Do you just think "thats how amps should be" or do you have a reason to want to use technology that would be more at home in the second world war?

lolwut?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
damn no suggestions? :-/

Quote by Raijouta
Vypyr Tube 60.

+1
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Vypyr Tube 60.

I second this motion.

Might need to expand your budget a little for one of the Sanpera footcontrollers though.

Edit: Do you gig?
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jul 14, 2010,
I do gig.

Quote by doive

Wtf has the age of the technology got to do with anything? You use a shovel don't you? Shovels haven't changed in design for hundreds of years and they are still the best thing to use for it's intended purpose.
Why does he want tube? Maybe because he has a pair of working ears?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Wtf has the age of the technology got to do with anything? You use a shovel don't you? Shovels haven't changed in design for hundreds of years and they are still the best thing to use for it's intended purpose.
Why does he want tube? Maybe because he has a pair of working ears?

Lol to be honest i didnt get that either. Maybe he hasnt experienced the difference between tube and digital?

lol at that post. my penis is a millions and millions old technology. works great. prefer it over all alternatives.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Consider a Krank Rev jr Pro 50Watt or Krankenstein jr 50watt they're ballsy as hell and can even drive a 4x12 cab (try an MXR 10 band EQ in the "boosted" FX loop too)

Or, you could try the new Randall RT50 or RT503 (similar price, similar tone but the Randalls are full size heads instead of the micro KranK). I just got the Randall RT100 and love it. It was either that or the Krank Rev+. I like the Randall better because it's more versitile with a middle (from classic rock to 80s metal)overdrive channel and a lead (punk to deathmetal) channel; the Kranks only have clean or high gain.

As for the Tube vs Digital: Just my opinion but digital (solid state) amps always have a gritty fizzle sound but tube amps always come through bright and bold with raw power you can feel. One pro about solid state though is that a tube amp can't match the tone quality at very, very low volumes (but if you don't like it LOUD, you need a new hobbie)
Epic lolz here.

Anyway, with $600 there isn't much out there... and what do you have?

Assuming you have a cab, Jet City 50W or try looking around for a Carvin Legacy head. You should be able to find a Legacy halfstack for only a couple hundred more. The Legacy has a 50W/100W switch on the back, but you still have to do it the old school way and take out two of the tubes.
I have a huge fear if rays.
I kinda like the RT100 and Carvin Legacy but no one suggests Marshall? In my area there are a decent amount of Jcm 800s and 900s going for about 800.
and as for the 600$ limit thats what I'll spend without hesitation but I definitely can throw in $400 more if its worth it. So any new opinions?

for now I'll research the Rt and Legacy. Thanks you 2!

Get a Valveking 212 with and OD box in the front. Its also "pretty" if thats what youre looking for...
Guitars:
Schecter Blackjack C1 FR (Blackouts)
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger (EMG's)

Amp:
Valveking 100
Valveking Cab 4X12
Behringer V-Tone GMX212

Effects:
Maxxon OD808
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Quote by ootero.usa
Get a Valveking 212 with and OD box in the front. Its also "pretty" if thats what youre looking for...

On his budget, he can do alot better...

I still recommend the Vypyr tube. If you can throw in more money, though, I'd go for the Jet City Amps JCA100 and a 212 cab instead.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
On his budget, he can do alot better...

I still recommend the Vypyr tube. If you can throw in more money, though, I'd go for the Jet City Amps JCA100 and a 212 cab instead.

True...didnt see his budget, my bad. Maybe a 6505 212
Guitars:
Schecter Blackjack C1 FR (Blackouts)
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger (EMG's)

Amp:
Valveking 100
Valveking Cab 4X12
Behringer V-Tone GMX212

Effects:
Maxxon OD808
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2
Boss DS-1
Quote by ootero.usa
True...didnt see his budget, my bad. Maybe a 6505 212

A lot of the bands he listed also play clean however, so I doubt a 6505 would work here.

TS, my vote goes for a Vypyr Tube 60 with Sanpera 2 footswitch or a Jet City JCA100 with a cheap but good 212 cab. (I'm leaning more towards the Vypyr though, since the JCA100 has a shared EQ. This depends on whether or not shared EQs are for you though).
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jul 15, 2010,
The reason I didn't suggest Marshall is because, IMO, they always need something extra for the right distortion tone i.e. pedals/FX (or tube swap for 6881/KT88/6L6s). A lot of pros mod theirs; the only one I'd like would be the Kerry King Sig 2203KK. Marshalls do have EXCELLENT cleans though.
So is a marshall haze (40w) any good for a $1000 au max limit or not? I've been getting told to go for a peavey 6505 but most people on the forum don't understand how much more expensive things are in australia with guitar gear. a 6505 combo goes for about 1.3thousand whereas a marshall haze goes for 8-900. is it good? I've had some people say it is crap and others say that i should get a vypyr and others say they are crap and ive heard tons of praise for the valvetronix vox amps but some say they are crap... everyone's opinions are conflicting and it is hard to find a definitive list of amps worth trialling.So:
Valvetronix, haze, vypyr: thoughts? help would be greatly appreciated.
^ my point. I like playing clean and if I need pedals thats cool with me. I just need to upgrade from my Vox because I feel like its not producing the quality tones i like. There are a lot of effects but idk :-/ lol.
Also to rocknrolldude The Vyper would be better. I like set eqs for set modes. Worded wrong lol.

I appreciate all the help so far. I've got a list of amps to try and I figure I'll have the right one soon. You guys have been a huge help.

All of the bands you listed are using high gain tube amplifiers. If you want tone like them, that is a good starting point. A modelling amp will never get you to where you want to be with your tone. This much, I can guarantee.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
blackstar ht-40
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
he said he can spend 1000 and you guys are still saying vypers. what about an egnater renegade. you can find a combo used for about 800-900. and they have 6l6 and el-34 tubes so you can get a wide range of tones
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
So I found someone willing to sell his 1960a cab with a jcm 800 2205 ,with flight cases, for $1300. Is this a good deal and is it gonna be versatile enough to play the genres I listed? I don't wanna get stuck paying over a grand and not being able to play the stuff I mentioned haha!

Thanks for the help. Any new input?

i believe the jcm800 2205 is still safe. that's not too bad of a price. 1100 would be better.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
As long as it's "safe" and handles everything then I'm ecstatic. Thanks!

But is this definitely what I should buy? Anyone else have an opinion on what to spend $1300 on? Need cab and head. Thanks

Why don't you take a boat ride to Japan? Prices there would be much better
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I also apologize for the franticness. My first time spending over $1000.

DeathByDestroyr: What do you suggest?