Recently I was talking with my Grandpa about guitars, since he used to play before he got arthritis, we ended up talking about how I was saving for a new amp. and in the end he decided he wanted to buy one for me. He's decided to give me $400 (USA) to get a new amp. His only stipulation was that he wants me to buy new. While there isn't a lot that I'd want in that price limit I did find a few that caught my interests.

Jet City 2112RC
Epiphone Valve Senior
Peavey Windsor Studio

I play many different styles of music (some types of Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Blues Rock, Blues, Reggae, Garage Rock, and a bunch of others) so good cleans are really important to me. I also want something with more of a Classic Rock or Blues Rock distortion built in, and I've heard a lot a people use Jet City for types of Metal and Hard Rock, so I'm not sure how it would handle bluesier voiced songs. I know versatility is a word that gets thrown around a lot, but I really need an amp that's versatile for the styles I play. I need it be able to get over a drummer in a band setting, so good cleans with decent headroom is something I'm looking for.

I'm leaning more towards the Jet City and Epiphone personally, but I wanted a few opinions. I'm also looking for other amps that my meet my needs that I may have passed over, so suggestions are welcome.
Egnater tweaker gets my vote. It's 399 as well. Very versatile from sparkling cleans to bluesy overdrive to some hard crunch.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Egnater tweaker gets my vote. It's 399 as well. Very versatile from sparkling cleans to bluesy overdrive to some hard crunch.

+1

Check it out. Cool amp. I also like my Vox Night Train, but by the time you get a cab on that it'll be over $400 for sure.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
He really doesn't want you going used? Would he know the difference?

saidit: +1 to the egnator tweaker, they had to literally kick me off it at my local music store.

You could also surpise your grand pa with hookers and cocaine. Family bonding is important.

Can substitute Glen Livet for cocaine, to taste.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
He really doesn't want you going used? Would he know the difference?

saidit: +1 to the egnator tweaker, they had to literally kick me off it at my local music store.

You could also surpise your grand pa with hookers and cocaine. Family bonding is important.

Can substitute Glen Livet for cocaine, to taste.

Well he wants to pay for it himself, and he lives out of state, so I can't really trick him into buying something off of Craigslist. I am really liking the Tweaker though, just listening to a few demos. Unless something blows it out of the water, that's what I'm looking at.

EDIT-
Sorry, but the Tweaker isn't $400 US. At least not anywhere online. Where are you guys getting your prices?

EDT2-
Found the head for $400, but that doesn't help me. I can only spend $400. Unless I get a cheap cab somewhere, it's not really an option.
Last edited by Kcintlob at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by Kcintlob

EDIT-
Sorry, but the Tweaker isn't $400 US. At least not anywhere online. Where are you guys getting your prices?

EDT2-
Found the head for $400, but that doesn't help me. I can only spend $400. Unless I get a cheap cab somewhere, it's not really an option.

I think GC is having a sale on amps. Check it out. And for $400, that head is incredible. You can always pick up a cheap Avatar cab with your choice of colours and speakers for cheap. They have a sale on 2x12s this summer. You can also try to find the Tweaker combo. Cheaper than the head/cab combo.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
I think GC is having a sale on amps. Check it out. And for $400, that head is incredible. You can always pick up a cheap Avatar cab with your choice of colours and speakers for cheap. They have a sale on 2x12s this summer. You can also try to find the Tweaker combo. Cheaper than the head/cab combo.

I really want the combo because I'll be moving by amp to and from practice a lot, but I can only get the head. I really like the amp, it's a shame I can't afford it.
Definitely don't get the windsor. I know someone who had one and literally could not get any good tones out of it at all. Probably the absolute worst all tube amp on the market. Definitely DO NOT GET A WINDSOR. WARNING, WINDSOR=PEAVEYS BIGGEST FAILURE. I'd say the vypyrs and valvekings are better than the windsor
How much would it cost to either make or buy a 1x12 cabinet? Because I love the Egnater Tweaker, but I can only get the head.

I know there's a site that sells knock offs of speaker for fairly cheap, could anyone give me their address?
The speakers from these guys get good raves here as budget speakers. I'm sure somebody will chime in about it, I know nothing.
http://warehousespeakers.com/index.php
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Why don't you have your grandpa spring for the head and then pay for a cab with your own money?
Quote by Tigerfang
Why don't you have your grandpa spring for the head and then pay for a cab with your own money?

That was going to be the plan...
Fender Super Champ XD. $330 incl footswitch + taxes should easily keep you under $400, and give you a great amp that's easily toteable.
Well I talked to him and he's willing to buy used if it's from a store, so I'm going to go to guitar center tomorrow and try out a few amps. According to the website there's a Blues Junior for under $400, so I'm gonna try and get that or something similar.
Why not just save up some money, and use his $400 + your cash to buy what you really want?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Why not just save up some money, and use his $400 + your cash to buy what you really want?

Because he wants the purchase directly charged to his bank account, and he isn't giving me straight cash.
Quote by Kcintlob
Because he wants the purchase directly charged to his bank account, and he isn't giving me straight cash.

Haha sounds like a sketchy transaction to me!!

Most stores will allow you to split your purchase into cash/debit/credit so you can put some of the cost on his bank account, then put your own cash on top...

All I'm saying is why settle for an amp you think is alright, when you can get an incredible amp for a little more?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Haha sounds like a sketchy transaction to me!!

Most stores will allow you to split your purchase into cash/debit/credit so you can put some of the cost on his bank account, then put your own cash on top...

All I'm saying is why settle for an amp you think is alright, when you can get an incredible amp for a little more?

Well I'm not even sure what I'm going to get just yet. I'm gonna play on what they have, and find something I like. I really like Blues Juniors, so if I found one of those (which according to the used section on GC this shop has) then I'm probably gonna get it.
Blackstar HT-5 combo is $399. Check out netmusicians.org and search various amp types to see if there are any recordings using the amp you are interested in. It's a great website to hear what your amp might be capable of.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Quote by Kcintlob
I'm gonna play on what they have, and find something I like.

Sounds good! Try as many out as you can, and get whatever you think sounds best. At the end of the day, it's your amp so you should love it! Good luck. I'll be watching for your NAD!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Going with the Blues Junior, it's just $330 used, and nothing they had in my price range topped it. I'll put up an Amp Day thread once it gets here.
Quote by Kcintlob
Going with the Blues Junior, it's just $330 used, and nothing they had in my price range topped it. I'll put up an Amp Day thread once it gets here.

Good choice! I just picked up my Egnater Tweaker, posting my NAD thread in a few minutes. I'll be watching for yours too!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58