As of now, ive always had pretty shitty amps and i figure thats what i need now that i have the cash. I know i want a tube amp and its gotta have good, tight gain as well as great sounding cleans. My style of music varies, I play alot of 90's rock, classic rock, blues and jazz. My price range is preferably $1500 and under, but if you have any suggestions over that price range i will happily consider. Not quite sure if i want a half stack or combo, but a combo sounds easier, seeing as im required to move my gear frequently. New or used, id be interested in either. Thanks for the help UG, i figured this would make the decision easier, since i dont have alot of experience with different amps. Any suggestions are welcome.
If you're looking for a combo, I know Mesa Boogie makes some great ones for about that price
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Check out the Mesa Boogie Express 5:50. It's a combo but it will knock you off your feet as far as versatility goes.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
well im mostly interested in it having great sounding distortion. I dont want to have to use pedals just to get a decent rock sound. I was thinking marshall, i see marshall jcm2000's for as low as $650 used, but ive never actually played one. I have played a mesa boogie express 5:50, and it seems to be a great amp, im just not a fan of the distortion.
Sorry man, im talkin stuff like Van Halen( mean streets, unchained, finish what ya started), Slash ( Slither, Appetite, ect..), Andy timmons, STP (crackerman, Vasoline). Also, i want to be able to get a kind of light overdrive tone that sounds good and strong. Similar to "Electric Gypsy" by Andy timmons and Little Wing by SRV. I know thats a pretty wide range to cover, Im just tryin to get the best fitting amp for this type of stuff
I'm thinking something that can good British OD, then.
Knowing the tones really narrows it down.

I'm not sure how much Mesa Boogie Stiletto Aces go for, but that's a a nice higher gain Marshall type tone.

My first choice is a bit above your budget, but would be great for you, IMO, is a Splawn Quickrod. Amazing hot rodded Marshall tones, for sure.
Yeah i checked out clips of the splawn quickrod, and it does sound good. How much do they usually run for?
Brand new, the head is like 1800, I think.

You can find them on the used market for around 1300-1500, sometimes. I don't seem them all that often just because I think most people keep them! haha.

EDIT: A few of my favorite vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB548yhJzvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXch9XvY-4
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Really? Wow, that's a great price. Didn't realize they had dropped.

I just saw 2 promod/prostocks go for like under 1000.

people have their stuff listed for higher but looking ebay completed and rigtalk and stuff the only ones that have sold are closer to 1200 then they are to 1500.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by gunsnroses0017
Sorry man, im talkin stuff like Van Halen( mean streets, unchained, finish what ya started), Slash ( Slither, Appetite, ect..), Andy timmons, STP (crackerman, Vasoline). Also, i want to be able to get a kind of light overdrive tone that sounds good and strong. Similar to "Electric Gypsy" by Andy timmons and Little Wing by SRV. I know thats a pretty wide range to cover, Im just tryin to get the best fitting amp for this type of stuff

On Appetite for Destruction Slash used a Marshall 1959 super lead. Van Halen used a Marshall Plexi.
For 80's go with a plexi, 1959 superlead or a JCM 800