so i feel like i finally have the perfect armada of pedals but i must say, i really don't know where to start when setting them up. i know changing the set up can change the sound and function of the pedals and i could use some helpful advice.

the pedals i'm using are:
ISP Decimator Noise Gate
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Ibanez WD7 Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive
Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner

i really just need help with what order to put them in and where to put them. I have enough cords for an effects loop but i'm not sure which pedals i would want in the effects loop and which pedals i want directly connected to my guitar. Any help is seriously appreciated
wait what
the tuner can go anywhere if it has a true bypass, it shouldnt effect tone. Noise gate in the front. Loop station can go either after the noise gate or at the end of the chain. That depends if on how you like the tone of the loops. Personally I would put it before the overdrive so that you have a pure guitar tone going into the overdrive.

The big issue is the wah and overdrive. They'll be at the end of the chain but which one comes first is again up to you and your choice of tone. Different guitarists have done both styles. I know Jimi Hendrix put his wah in front of his fuzz face. I personally like putting my wah after my distortion because i like to affect the distorted tones. If you put the wah before then you get the wah'd tones going into the overdrive and for me i think it sounds muddied that way (maybe its my distortion).
Guitar>tuner>wah>overdrive>noisegate>looper>amp

you can switch the wah or the overdrive, depending on what style of play you want (clean wahs, then into distorted natural tones, as it is above, or distorted wah tones if you reverse it). The tuner should go first because you want to tune the unaffected guitar. Noise gate will keep the effects in front of it clean, it should always go last, but because you have the looper, I assume you want the same tone going into the amp going into the looper, so it'll go last. hope this helps.

edit: none of these need to go into the effects loop, they're more convenient and will probably sound better in front.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Last edited by muse-ik at Jul 14, 2010,
Put the noise gate in the effects loop, not in front.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
the biggest problem i'm having is that when i play back something with the looper, it goes through the amp and gets double the gain. Is there anyway to fix this?
wait what
Quote by Raijouta
Put the noise gate in the effects loop, not in front.

Depends on if you need to quiet down the guitar or the preamp.

Put it between the amp/cab for some seriously wicked tonez (don't actually do it though)
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
The looper should go through the effects loop as well if you're using amp distortion. What's happening with the looper in front is that the looper is being distorted.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??