I honest to God recommend you dont get any of those.

Get yourself a used fixed bridge ibanez, or a used ibanez prestige, a used schecter hellraiser/blackjack, jackson DK2M or ltd MH-1000.
they r all good for metal but u need to go to a guitar center or something and try as many guitars as possible, pickups and stuff dont matter realy, good tone/volume pots are more important but not really, u make ur own tone with ur hands and an amp. Find a guitar that fits u like a glove and stays in tune and stuff and ull be fine. You could play a first act thru a great amp and itll sound good.
Quote by DWB
they r all good for metal but u need to go to a guitar center or something and try as many guitars as possible, pickups and stuff dont matter realy, good tone/volume pots are more important but not really, u make ur own tone with ur hands and an amp. Find a guitar that fits u like a glove and stays in tune and stuff and ull be fine. You could play a first act thru a great amp and itll sound good.

No.... Just no.

Out of all of those, I'd say the first one, with regret.
i would take a pass on the majority of those. as mentioned above, check out a fixed bridge ibanez or a fixed bridge esp LTD. trying to get a guitar with a half decent locking trem at this price is a futile endeavor, its just not happening. also, you are paying money for silly graphics, pass on those.

and no, not all guitars suck. some, like those above, suck more than others. there are, however, plenty of good/great/brilliant guitars out there. you just need to filter out the showy crap
Quote by rip dio
so all guitars are sucks?

frankly, yes.
Please read my comment or handbanana's comment for confirmation.
Quote by DWB

I laughed. Apparently Seymour Duncan and other after market pickup manufacturers are running a pretty good scam, you know selling people pickups that don't change their sound and all.
just because the pickup has a big brand name like EMG, or Seymour Duncan doesn't always make them good.

If I were getting new pickups Seymour Duncan would probably be one of the last companies I would check out tbh.
Quote by colgo889
I laughed. Apparently Seymour Duncan and other after market pickup manufacturers are running a pretty good scam, you know selling people pickups that don't change their sound and all.

They dont change ur tone in comparison to an amp, a good guitar tone is good but a good amp is much more important, lets see u play metal with a jackson with duncans on a gorilla amp.
Dont let them steer you away, I know from experiance BC Rich can make amazing guitars. Personally, the first guitar you posted looks like an amazing guitar. I wouldnt order it, because Bc Rich guitars do seem to be rather hit-or-miss. Try one out in a store, and look for
Ibanez
Schecter
ESP LTD
Jackson
Epiphone
And post em here! Theres a good amount of people here that know what their talking about, and will help you make a good purchase.
Quote by DWB
They dont change ur tone in comparison to an amp, a good guitar tone is good but a good amp is much more important, lets see u play metal with a jackson with duncans on a gorilla amp.

You've just been doing way too much reading on these forums and not enough finding out for yourself.

1. Yes, an amp helps change your tone. Basically, if you have a nice amp and an okay guitar, the okay guitar will sound better through the nice amp than through a bad amp.

2. Thats where pickups come in. They help you shape your tone. Pots don't really effect your tone, unless you're talking about the tone pot.

3. Metal with a Jackson that has Duncans is about as cliche as blues with a Les Paul. Guaranteed I could play something passable as metal with it.
im the one reading too much but anyway dont buy on ebay, use craigslist, ull get good deals and u can actually try it out. Also most signature guitars arent worth the price cuz u can make the same thing urself for less.
"Most" signature guitars. Hmm. You're not going to make a better guitar for less, either. It's going to cost way more.
maybe custom paint jobs and that stuff but no its cheaper to make a guitar out of parts.
Just a quick question, am I the only one who finds it hard to take people seriously who are incapable of spelling out words like "Your" "You" and "Because"? I mean, don't think I'm a huge stickler for grammar or anything like that, but seriously folks, is an attempt at spelling the word too much to ask? Even if you use the wrong form of "Your" it sounds a heck of alot more mature than to use "ur". Sorry.

Anyways! Out of the ones you listed I'd go ESP, but seriously ESP has much better guitars out there for the price than the ones you listed as does Jackson and Ibanez... BC Rich guitars look "bad*ss" but you're going to be sacrificing in other, more important, departments.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
(Grammar Nazi) I'll spell from now on then. But I agree Jackson, Ibanez, and B.C. Rich are too expensive and LTD's are really good.
No, it's not. Unless you think one of them $200 build your own guitar kits is going to be better than that.

If building a guitar was cheap and easy, more people would do it and there probably wouldn't be very many guitar companies selling pre-built guitars.

You'd have to buy a slab of wood, which can cost $40+. Then cut it, so if you need to rent out a saw and router, then the cost of that. If you have one, then the electricity to operate it.

Bridges cost over $50 for a decent TOM bridge. Depending on the kind of stringing you'll do with it, you might need studs for the strings to go through the body, or a plate on the top of the body. Fender style bridge will cost you around $100 for something decent.

Decent tuners cost $50.

Humbuckers will cost you at least $100. Then you need to wire it and buy pots for it (pots are like $11 a peice). You'll need a bucket for the output jack, that's like $10. A toggle switch, around $10. You'll probably spend at least $15 in wire.

Buy a slab of wood for the neck and a slab of rosewood/ebony/maple. Buy glue that holds them together. Buy fretwire. I think that costs like $20. You'd need glue or bolts to set the neck it. Buy a nut and get files, that'll be $30 at least. You'd need something to be able to make inlays and something for the inlays. You'll need a truss rod, too.

Polyurethane paint isn't too cheap. You'd need something to spray it on there with. You'll also need something to finish the neck with.

You'll need sandpaper. Of course that's not too expensive, but after you buy so many sheets for all the different stages, it adds up.

Overall, you spend $400 on a guitar you make yourself, you're not going to get a good guitar. You might as well have spent $300 on a guitar almost exactly like it.

EDIT: Not to mention that factories that mass produce these guitars get their hardware cheaper for buying large numbers of it without any middle man. Grover Rotomatics cost us what, $60, $70? They cost the factory $25, for example.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 15, 2010,
I meant a neck, and body and pickups or you could buy a Les Paul and EMGs for less than the Zakk Wylde signature, for example.
r0ckth3d34n is right. Listen to him.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Quote by DWB

man you have to win some kind of award right now. Everything you've said in this thread as been wrong.

I give you....the 100 Percent Fail Award! You've done it. perfect fail.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by DWB

I'm not saying that the pickups matter more than amp, I'm just pointing out that the pickups do matter. Saying that they don't is just ignorant.
Quote by AcousticMirror
man you have to win some kind of award right now. Everything you've said in this thread as been wrong.

You have my total support.
Quote by AcousticMirror

Yes, I agree. This thread is teaming with misinformation.

Read through the whole thread, and just ignore DWB.

As far as looking into guitars. Jackson, ESP/LTD, Schecter, and Ibanez are all reputable brands, with far better quality and reputations than BC Rich. Look into those. On a budget guitar, it is alsways best to go with a hardtail bridge, as cheaper trems generally don't do to well.

While a quality guitar is very important, i do have to agree that the amp makes up more of the tone. However, as good as the amp sounds, if the guitar has terrible action, doesn't hold a tune, and falls apart on you, it not going to do you any good.

As far as building guitars, here is what i have to say: Trust me, it will cost more to build a guitar. I built one more or less on a budget and dropped $750, and i would have been much better off buying something similar as far as the end result goes (with the exception of that being it really was a great experiance). Fretwork requires a decent amount of skill, (or specialty tools) and is very time consuming. Dont expect to pick up a file for the first time, and do fretwork you would see on a Gibson that has been plek'd, it just isn't going to happen.

Good luck on your decision.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by DWB
I meant a neck, and body and pickups or you could buy a Les Paul and EMGs for less than the Zakk Wylde signature, for example.

Still no. You can have Warmoth build you a neck and body, but it'll cost you over $400, and you'll still need to buy hardware.

But yes, you could buy an LP and put EMG's in it and it could cost less than ZW Signature, but then again, you can also buy LP shaped guitars with EMG's stock in them for cheaper than a ZW Signature, which is extremely over priced.