So, I was just thinking of making a thread to ask a simple question about a college I'm looking at, but then I realized that UG must be full of people who are either in college or will be soon. So here's a thread made specifically for questions and discussions having to do with college.

Anyway, here's my question:

Is SUNY New Paltz hard to get into if you're from out-of-state? I have a little over a 3.3 GPA and a combined math and critical reading SAT score of 1380, if that helps any. What can I do to get in?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Quote by actaderock
why do people in the US go to college instead of going from school to the university directly?

in the US college and university are synonymous terms.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
in the US college and university are synonymous terms.

well i thought the same thing before, unti i heard something that in university you do your career and in college some people help you choose your career and make you loose 2 years of your life
as far as i know, you should have no problem getting into new paltz
Quote by GmacD
pull down his pants, his dick is probly the size of a newborn moose

Quote by Union Jake
Found this quite funny.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
Found this quite SEARCH BAR
Quote by actaderock
well i thought the same thing before, unti i heard something that in university you do your career and in college some people help you choose your career and make you loose 2 years of your life

Actually, it's kind of the opposite. For instance, you go to the University of Georgia, but then once you get the requirements for all students done, you go to, for example, Grady College. In this case, University is just a collection of colleges and a place for the basics, whereas colleges are where you specialize.
Quote by actaderock

That's kind of what happens in England:

6 or 7 years of primary education
5 years of secondary education (culminating in GCSEs)
2 or more years of further education (Our college years - Culminating in a wide range of qualifications, traditionally A levels)
3 or more years of Higher Education (Uni, degrees and whatever)

A lot of kids get jobs straight after secondary education, but schools try and push you into further education to apprenticeships and whatever

I'm hopefully going to Glasgow uni (as an Englishman, sacrilege!) in september on grades, but either way, I just want to get out of my dead end town - yes, growing up here has been safe, but it's got to a boring stage, and I don't want to fall into the trap of many of the people here and just stay here for another generation, with a dead end job.... Yes, at the end of uni, I may have a dead end job, but at least I will have got out of this shit hole for a while!!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Ok I'm not going to college for a few years BUT, I want to ask something. Does anyone work in the game design/programming field? If so, can you tell me what I need to know/learn before I go to college for it?
Quote by actaderock

There's a difference between community college and college
Quote by i_don't_know

Is SUNY New Paltz hard to get into if you're from out-of-state? I have a little over a 3.3 GPA and a combined math and critical reading SAT score of 1380, if that helps any. What can I do to get in?

My only question is why New Paltz? The town sucks.
Quote by UntilISleep
Ok I'm not going to college for a few years BUT, I want to ask something. Does anyone work in the game design/programming field? If so, can you tell me what I need to know/learn before I go to college for it?

how much do you program already? My friend is studying computer science, but he's been programming for about a decade before coming to uni.

I think for games industry they want people that know their shit, and have their name out there through modding or whatever.

If you don't know anything about programming and expect to learn it all at uni then get a game-making job.... need to have a reality check. Cuz you know the people that get those jobs are the ones that have been programming/modding every free moment they can.

You need a portfolio! And programming skills in a variety of languages. Get some books out of the library, go online and look up resources, and start learning today!

erm, anyways,

I'm in the University of Auckland, New Zealand. 2nd year of a LLB/BA (law, arts) majoring in politics and history for my BA.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Any tips for someone starting their first year of college at a public four-year?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by actaderock

That's Quebec. It's called a Cegep. We finish high school at 17, amd we need to earn a 2 years diploma before being allowed to apply to University.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Night_Lights
how much do you program already? My friend is studying computer science, but he's been programming for about a decade before coming to uni.

I think for games industry they want people that know their shit, and have their name out there through modding or whatever.

If you don't know anything about programming and expect to learn it all at uni then get a game-making job.... need to have a reality check. Cuz you know the people that get those jobs are the ones that have been programming/modding every free moment they can.

You need a portfolio! And programming skills in a variety of languages. Get some books out of the library, go online and look up resources, and start learning today!

erm, anyways,

I'm in the University of Auckland, New Zealand. 2nd year of a LLB/BA (law, arts) majoring in politics and history for my BA.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'm starting to learn C++ right now, through online lessons and hopefully I'll be able to get a book or two on it.
Quote by UntilISleep

Maths.

Lot's of Uni's have game design courses now, I used to want to do animation.

Game design QUT

Btw does anyone here go to QUT? in brisbane, I'm thinking about going there.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
I don't have to worry about college for a few years since i'm only 13 (14 tommorow ) but can anyone tell me the requirements for musicians institute for going into audio engineering and how good of a career that is nowadays. And also if MI is worth the price. If not any recommendations for other colleges. Berklee is out of the question though.
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Any tips for someone starting their first year of college at a public four-year?

See that? That's your free time, see how it slowly fades away to never be seen again.

Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by damian_91
See that? That's your free time, see how it slowly fades away to never be seen again. But then again, that's working life for ya. If you're aiming for a well paying job in any field, lots of hard work will be involved. Guaranteed.

+1.
MATTERHORN
i dunno about other countries, but a 3.3 gpa is usually enough to get into uni/college
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
Quote by damian_91
See that? That's your free time, see how it slowly fades away to never be seen again.

D:
Quote by ESPLTDV401DX
I don't have to worry about college for a few years since i'm only 13 (14 tommorow ) but can anyone tell me the requirements for musicians institute for going into audio engineering and how good of a career that is nowadays. And also if MI is worth the price. If not any recommendations for other colleges. Berklee is out of the question though.

That stuff is almost always not worth doing.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by JimMcGraff
My only question is why New Paltz? The town sucks.

Diverse student body, decently close to home, cheap, good academics...

And the list goes on. New Paltz is a great school, especially for a SUNY.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Wow at the people in the thread discussing American post-secondary education.

In vernacular: college and university are synonyms
In definitions: a university is a body of colleges (which are a body of departments)
In exceptions: some schools are just 'college', such as Boston College. These schools are the exception to the rule because they were founded with the name college instead of university and they keep it due to tradition.

It isn't that hard to understand.

my case:
The Ohio State University
College of Arts and Sciences
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Department of Geography
Geographic Information Systems (Bachelor of Science)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by will123456789

I'm hopefully going to Glasgow uni (as an Englishman, sacrilege!) in september on grades, but either way, I just want to get out of my dead end town - yes, growing up here has been safe, but it's got to a boring stage, and I don't want to fall into the trap of many of the people here and just stay here for another generation, with a dead end job.... Yes, at the end of uni, I may have a dead end job, but at least I will have got out of this shit hole for a while!!

Another one coming to Glasgow with me!
(i hope)

I got some letters through today about my student registration access details for like the uni website and stuff. It was a strange moment, I'm finally coming to terms with the idea that in a few short months I will be going to University.

I just hope it isn't gonna be too hard. Plus I really wish I'd moved out now.
Quote by actaderock
anyone here studying any engineering?

Yes, don't do it, it's a trap.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
applied late to Glasgow Cally for Audio Engineering with Electronics. Didn't expect to get in so I accepted a place at Perth College for Sound Production. got an offer at Cally a few weeks ago despite not expecting to. Went through and saw the place yesterday, looks way better than college. I now need to do a whole load of phone calls and forms to get the SAAS funding changed and cancel at Perth as well as actually accepting Cally. Be worth it though.

Cally course:

http://www.gcu.ac.uk/study/internationalstudents/courses/audio-technology-with-electronics-8371.php?loc=uk

Perth course:

http://www.perth.ac.uk/courses/Pages/U039J_F1_PB.aspx
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by damian_91
Yes, don't do it, it's a trap.

It's true. I barely escaped it. Doc says I'll never walk again, though.
Quote by jgbsmith
applied late to Glasgow Cally for Audio Engineering with Electronics. Didn't expect to get in so I accepted a place at Perth College for Sound Production. got an offer at Cally a few weeks ago despite not expecting to. Went through and saw the place yesterday, looks way better than college. I now need to do a whole load of phone calls and forms to get the SAAS funding changed and cancel at Perth as well as actually accepting Cally. Be worth it though.

Yeah man definitely. Cally's a great uni, especially for what you're looking at.
Quote by JimMcGraff
Fair enough. Which part of NY do you hail?

North Jersey. Close enough. Haha that's why I'm worried about getting in. I'm an out-of-stater.

EDIT: By the way, I plan on getting my BS in psychology with a minor in either marketing or business management (depending on what the school offers), so hopefully the minor will help me find a job to help pay for grad school so I can go on to get my PsyD. Does that sound like a good plan? Or am I about to do something stupid?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Last edited by i_don't_know at Jul 15, 2010,
I'm currently looking at colleges in boston wash. dc and nyc and was wondering which of the three has the best college music scene?
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Quote by Silence&Requiem
I'm currently looking at colleges in boston wash. dc and nyc and was wondering which of the three has the best college music scene?

I don't know for the music scene but I'd go to Boston right away.

I'm looking for PhD/2nd MBA abroad opportunities in Boston.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Silence&Requiem

It depends on what kind of music you like. Personally, I'd go for a school in NYC because even if there isn't a great music scene on and around campus at the school you go to, there are great clubs, concerts, and buskers all over the city, and a great public transportation system to get to them. I don't think I've ever heard much about DC's music scene, but it can't necessarily be horrible since it's a big, diverse city. The same goes for Boston. Really any big city should have a pretty good music scene. If I were you I'd just go to the college you like the most, and scope out the music scene later.

EDIT: By the way, if you're looking for a great music scene on campus, you should definitely loko for a liberal arts school.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Last edited by i_don't_know at Jul 15, 2010,
*reported*

There's actually a massive thread for college/university discussions already, you would probably get more help there.
I searched and didn't find anything. Sorry about the duplicate thread, but please don't report me. I seriously had no idea. Where is the other thread?
Quote by Ur all $h1t