So i'm not positive i'm getting that VTM back free or not, ebays not answering me. But even if I do get it, i'm probably just gona sell it anyway.

Now I want to get a head(which would require me to get some kind of 2x12 cab as well). But I am taking 1 or two combos into consideration. I play mostly Hardcore, Grunge, Old school Metal(no death metal), some rock and classic rock a little.
I have no needs for cleans. And my budget is probably around $400(probably nto including the cab if I get a head). Looking for something about 50 watts but I am flexible. As I want to be able to play it in my house, and play out with it.
Oh and I will only be using my SG Standard through it.

Right now i'm mostly looking at the following

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb 50 Watt Head (Someone agreed to sell me theirs for $350-400)
Blackstar HT-5 Full Mini Stack (saw a used one for $400 with both cabs)
Bugera 1990 (saw one used for $300
Peavey 5150 Combo(found one for around $400)
Jet City JCA20 - Head goes for $333 brand new

Also looked at the Valveking cause they're real cheap, but from the all the youtube reviews i've watched it's sounds like the valveking is really really thin, and probably not what I want.

And I'm kind of straying away from the Blackstar since it really only uses two preamp tubes(and I think I want more than 5 watts), and not sure about the Jet City since it uses el84's. Looking more for something that uses 6l6's or el34s.

A friend also suggest the Red Bear MK60 head as I found one on Ebay thats at like $150 right now.

Sorry for the rant, but looking to narrow this list down to one if possible. Right now the JCM, the Bugera, and the 5150 are my front runners.
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 15, 2010,
if you have no need for cleans get the 5150. It has incredible distortion.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
I like the 5150 but I don't know if it's going to have the crunchier distortion i'm looking for.
The JCM900 would work fine for your styles and that's a pretty damn good price. For that money I'd grab it. If you can't make it sound how you like you can flip it without losing a cent.
Otherwise go for the 5150. The JCA is a good amp but a lot smaller than the others, it would work but personally I'd want a bit more grunt. 50W is the perfect compromise imo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would love the JCA50 but it's a bit out of my price range. Marshall's are pretty much my favorite so obviously the 900 is my number one choice. If I sell my strat this week I will probably get that, but just wanted to get some insight on the other amps first.

Also feel free to suggest other amps.
Well the 900 is a long way from being my favourite Marshall but it should do the job ok.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah I mean if money wasn't a question i'd be buying an 800 or a JMP.....but yeah, I don't even have a job right now so.....
Out of the amps you suggested..

Crunch - go with the Marshall.
High gain metal - 5150.

Easy.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
JCM all the way.

Second choice... toss up between the 1990 and the 5150... I likes me some cleans, sometimes.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Isn't the Red Bear a clone of a Mig which is a clone of an 800? That and a boost should cover most of your tones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If you can't sell your strat then find a dealer selling the 900 and tell him you don't have all the money but you would gladly put the strat towards the price. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Buy the 900, because that's a really good deal for a decent amp.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by handbanana
Bump, convince me that I should just go buy the 900 without any worries?

you want a 50 watt amp and it's the only one you listed.

it is a decent price for one if it works well.
the 900 may or may not be gone, i'll know by tommorow. and the dude who wanted my AVT backed out . Anyone want my AVT or my Strat i'll sell em uber cheap. everything kinda fell apart today
yeah so the someone else bought the 900
need to find something else. Can't spend more than $350 on a head(cause ill need a bad) for a combo ill spend around $450. Need to find something, the AVT just is not cutting it anymore.