I’ve been trying to understand the preferences involved between alternate, economy and hybrid picking. The way I’ve been teaching myself is, I guess, economy/hybrid because I use upstrokes or down strokes depending on what makes sense and I sometimes use my middle or ring finger to fingerpick notes if it is easier.

What has confused me is the school of thought that alternate picking is better or economy picking is better - to me it seems like economy picking is just a more evolved alternate picking – it is where you quit alternate picking when it quits making sense to alternate pick, then go back to it. Basically, you are getting the notes picked with the most economy and precise picking...which brings me to hybrid picking – when hybrid picking is mixed with economy picking, that seems to make since as an evolution of economy picking.

I guess my question is why would someone choose alternate picking as a superior technique? To me, there are no logical or practical applications to prove this. I am hoping someone who knows all the virtues of alternate picking can explain it to me, please.
To me it just really depends on what I am playing. I don't look at alternate picking as an up/down/up/down movement, but as a way to make things simpler. It's a sense of convenience.

For example:

-6-3-6-3-6-3---3-6-3-------3-------
-------------6-------6-3-6---6-----
-------------------------------5---
-----------------------------------

It would be much more comfortable for me to play the last three notes using an upstroke just for speed and accuracy reasons. The above can be played much much faster just because of doing "what makes sense". I use alternate picking on almost everything I play but I never label it like that because I have done it so much that it has become my own picking style, and after years of practice, it is completely natural. It just happens.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
economy picking for me is differnt then doing 3nps scales. its more of a frank gambale approach with short 2-3 string sweeps with 1-3 notes on a sting, that would be hard to alt pick so i economy pick it. alt picking is everything else, if that makes sense. hybrid picking is somethinf that i use if i need to skip 2 strings. thats all i can say
Last edited by slayerfrk at Jul 14, 2010,
I just let my instincts decide.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Well because I play punk so much I mostly just do downstrokes (You need to in order to make those palm muted power chords sound good)

I have gotten pretty good with downstroke but I guess I did lose some efficiency by not sticking to alternate picking, but oh well...
Last edited by Tmusician at Jul 14, 2010,
I never quite saw the point in 'economy picking'. Sure, it makes sense in theory, but in reality nobody runs with 2 left steps or 2 right steps. People run by alternating left and right steps, and it is the same if you want to pick fast on the guitar.

I just think it's really unnatural to do economy picking; alternate picking is better and more natural, but each to their own. If economy picking words for some people, they should stick to it, I'm not a big fan of it, though.
Quote by GuitarManNeil
I never quite saw the point in 'economy picking'. Sure, it makes sense in theory, but in reality nobody runs with 2 left steps or 2 right steps. People run by alternating left and right steps, and it is the same if you want to pick fast on the guitar.

You can pick using only downstrokes or only upstrokes, so this analogy doesn't work. If you tried to run using only your left foot or only your right foot, you wouldn't be running at all.

That said, I agree with economy picking feeling kind of off. When I pick, I'm nearly always alternate picking, unless I need to sweep something or straight downstrokes will give a better sound. Playing strictly alternate frees me up from thinking about what stroke I'm using for each note, and it just feels more comfortable to me - this, imo is the most important part..