Does anyone know of any good mic placement techniques to get a punchier sound out of your bass drum?
If there's a resonance hole or wtv the hell it's called, place it as far in there as possible, so it's as close to the beaters as it can be. If there's no hole, a good EQ would get you pretty close.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Does your kick drum already sound punchy? Get it as perfect as possible in reality, then mic it up and see if you lose any of the punchiness. What mic are you using? What interface? Any preamp/compressor?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
im using a shure pg52 large diaphram condenser going through a beringer xenyx 1222 and in to reaper
Yes but does your drum already sound punchy, or are you trying to make a crappy sounding drum sound good? Also, that mic is dynamic not a condenser. It's cardioid, which might be confusing you. Either way, you want a dynamic on the kick so you're doing it right.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
my drum sounds decently punchie live but not on the recording, by the way its a pearl vision birch so its not a crappy sounding drum
If its in the port hole, prop it up on a pillow about 6 inches away from the beater, this often works well for me with a large diaphragm, sometimes if its not punchy sounding enough, i use an sm57 or a small clip mic at edge of the beater side of the kick as well, it can give a nice high slap when used with the low end on the large diaphragm inside. Then you obviously need to mix them together, EQ and whatever else in the mix.
This is generally the initial formula i use with kicks, of course you shouldn't follow that exactly, play around a little.

The only issue i have with this is sometimes i find it picks up a bit too much snare for my liking, but you can remedy this pretty well with trying out some different placements.
What sid is getting at is still really the most important factor of all. If the drum doesn't already sound punchy.... you're engaging in an exercise of turd polishing. If it DOES already sound punchy, you can do damned near anything and it will still sound at least reasonably punchy.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by darwindrummer
my drum sounds decently punchie live but not on the recording, by the way its a pearl vision birch so its not a crappy sounding drum

Apparently, its not turd polishing, if this statement holds to be true. How big is your bass drum?