i was thinking about trying to do some power metalish stuff on my acoustic and i was just wanting to see what you guys thought and bands i should check out maybe some help with like tecnickes and stuff sorry if this is in the wrong place or if it just sounds stupid.
Well, if your acoustic is going through a multi-effects pedal with a lot of distortion, you might be okay. But probably not.

Unearth used an acoustic guitar during the bridge in "We Are Not Anonymous" It worked pretty well, too. But they're metalcore, and had a distorted guitar playing power chords, and a guy screaming.

If you're going to use it, don't make its part too long, and make sure it's really epic.
blind guardian, iced earth, and their spawn, demons and wizards all have acoustic in lots of their songs, and they're power metal.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Man. That would be a crazy sound.
I'm not into metal much at all, but I do love Deftones. And they have done some acoustic versions of their songs, but usually slowed down. I'm guessing you're wanting some heavy stuff on the acoustic. Deftones are more alt. metal anyway.

Just tune down to CGCFAD and have at it.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Quote by The Hunger
Well, if your acoustic is going through a multi-effects pedal with a lot of distortion, you might be okay. But probably not.

Unearth used an acoustic guitar during the bridge in "We Are Not Anonymous" It worked pretty well, too. But they're metalcore, and had a distorted guitar playing power chords, and a guy screaming.

If you're going to use it, don't make its part too long, and make sure it's really epic.

wow, someone doesn't know much about metal.

it's very common to utilize acoustic or clean electric guitars in metal, but it's usually mixed in a song, like part of the song will be clean and part will be distorted. many bands will also have albums that may have a couple (or more) of completely clean songs, but still retain their characteristic feel. this is more common with prog metal bands or folk metal bands.

as for specifically power metal I'm not really into much power metal but Iced Earth often has clean parts and most of their albums haveat least a few clean songs. I like their albums Horrorshow and Something Wicked This Way Comes the best, Horrorshow's Dracula isn't all acoustic, but the first 1:38 is and then *open power chord* THE BLOOD IS THE LIFE! AND CHRIST I DEFY! MY SWORN ENEMY! BIRTH OF A NEW CREEEEEEED! *cue epic galloping and lead melody*

edit: ^dude above me - not for power metal. power metal is almost always in a standard tuning, and it's usually E standard or Eb Standard.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jul 15, 2010,
TS, I might be the only person who thinks you can do it. Theres a plethora of reasons that I REALLY dont feel like typing, but I hope you pursue this idea
thanks guys alot i think i'm just gonna have to listen to some good power metal maybe some prog metal to and experiment with it i want it to be fast paced a little technical and heavy of course but yet still be completely acoustic but seriously thanks guys didn't think i'd get alot of responses so quick.

I might cry.
Opeth is the first band that comes to mind. If you want to hear a song that incorporates both elements check out Drapery Falls or most of their discography. If you want solely acoustic check out Credence which uses a lot of diminished chords and dissonant intervals. Also they have an entire album that is acoustic/mellow called Damnation.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Good luck. It should be fun.
If you get any of it tabbed out in guitar pro or something, pm me with a link. or better yet, if you actually record anything, pm me.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
i'll do that^ also for the time being i have a nice chord progression that doesn't sound to metal yet but it does sound pretty epic when played in standard d(er whatever you call that) and drop c
Quote by The4thHorsemen
wow, someone doesn't know much about metal.

it's very common to utilize acoustic or clean electric guitars in metal, but it's usually mixed in a song, like part of the song will be clean and part will be distorted. many bands will also have albums that may have a couple (or more) of completely clean songs, but still retain their characteristic feel. this is more common with prog metal bands or folk metal bands.

as for specifically power metal I'm not really into much power metal but Iced Earth often has clean parts and most of their albums haveat least a few clean songs. I like their albums Horrorshow and Something Wicked This Way Comes the best, Horrorshow's Dracula isn't all acoustic, but the first 1:38 is and then *open power chord* THE BLOOD IS THE LIFE! AND CHRIST I DEFY! MY SWORN ENEMY! BIRTH OF A NEW CREEEEEEED! *cue epic galloping and lead melody*

edit: ^dude above me - not for power metal. power metal is almost always in a standard tuning, and it's usually E standard or Eb Standard.

I'm giong to have to take offence at that, metal is just about the only thing I listen to.

I'm not much into power metal though, more thrash and detah metal.
Look at the majority of finnish bands...sonata arctica, ensiferum, nightwish, eternal tears of sorrow, kalmah, amorphis and plenty more...also opeth.

I just finished learning an EToS song called the river flows frozen...it has a great acoustic part in it you should check it out.
Last edited by althebold711 at Jul 15, 2010,
I'm not as into metal as a lot of people here, but I'm pretty sure that you need distortion to be classified as metal.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by The Hunger
I listen to a lot of Kalmah, never noticed an acoustic guitar.

I'm thinking mainly of the intro to Rust Never Sleeps, on their new album 12 Gauge...first song, and i think one other song on that album.
I'm listening to that song now... It almost sounds more like a clean electric, like in the intro to One by Metallica, or Grace by Lamb of God.

@alanHB Metallica, one of the greatest metal bands ever, had many of their intros involving clean guitar. So it is allowed to have clean or acoustic guitar in metal.
Quote by The Hunger

@alanHB Metallica, one of the greatest metal bands ever, had many of their intros involving clean guitar. So it is allowed to have clean or acoustic guitar in metal.

I'm not talking about a small portion of a song featuring an acoustic guitar, I'm talking about the whole song as acoustic. Acoustic/clean portions of metal songs usually lead into distorted parts yes?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah, or they end the song. They're usually pretty short, compared to the song, and usually have either a Synth or distorted guitar playing along. There simply can't be a metal song that is completely acoustic, it wouldn't sound anything like metal.
I think there's enough acoustic guitar in metal that i would be willing to experiment with making "acoustic metal." Also i've been getting into a genre called dark folk which is primarily acoustic guitar, only a lot of the bands, such as Empyrium, used to be black metal bands. As a result the guitar sounds very dark and melancholy. That's the closest thing i can think of to acoustic metal.
Dark folk... I'll have to look into that. I know that a lot of metalheads won't accept a completely acoustic song as metal, simply because it's acoustic.
You should, but the style of guitar is nothing like metal, what's similar is the atmosphere. It's a lot slower and it's very minimalist.
well you can play an acoustic guitar without it being all soft n stuff but honestly i'm realising that i'm actually not very good at guitar and might just give up on this particular experiment, for now
Quote by Wiegenlied
Opeth is the first band that comes to mind. If you want to hear a song that incorporates both elements check out Drapery Falls or most of their discography. If you want solely acoustic check out Credence which uses a lot of diminished chords and dissonant intervals. Also they have an entire album that is acoustic/mellow called Damnation.

Shut up.

OT : There's no reason you can't play metal guitar on an acoustic. Play in the lower end, play fast, play dissonant, and see what happens.
Be sure to palm mute right next to the bridge; anywhere else just ends up being completely muted on on an acoustic.