I can play rock and metal rhythm adequately well, but when it comes to playing solos, I fail miserably. I want to work my way up to fast metal solos like metallica and megadeth over time, but I'm not sure where to start off. The only real solo I can play is the Stairway solo. Any recommended solos I should start out with, or good exercises for right and left hand co-ordination? Thanks in advance
Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V
Epiphone Goldtop Les Paul
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss DD-3 digital delay pedal
Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Real Tube Distortion pedal
What I started out with was some grunge solos, like Lake of Fire (A Meat Puppets song that Nirvana covered) and Man in the Box (Alice in Chains) and worked my way from there. A pretty easy solo to play is the one in She-Wolf by Megadeth. It's pretty fun too.
Quote by jfreyvogel
This kid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdkzgUIWXBY > Greenday and Paramore

espChris93 wrote:
The connection between a catholic church and Slayer seems more likely anyway, they're both filled with hypocrites and have blind followers.
The first solo I ever learned was Enter Sandman. From there I just kept learning songs I liked. Eruption, Whole Lotta Love, Purple Haze, Don't Fear the Reaper, Hot For Teacher are also not terribly hard but are very fun.
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get right on it....tomorrow
Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V
Epiphone Goldtop Les Paul
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss DD-3 digital delay pedal
Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Real Tube Distortion pedal
Are you wanting to learn to play other people's solos, or improv your own. If you want to learn to improv your solos, I would suggest getting a strong understanding of the major, minor, and pentatonic scales (pentatonic mainly for starting out).

Then I would suggest finding or putting together some backing tracks, or finding some friends to play with you, and just start messing around.

Hope that helped
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
The Paranoid solo by black sabbath, just try and learn that slowly and then increase the speed over time, its quite easy worked for me
Do what everyone else did and learn all of the popular Zeppelin songs.. after a while you will feel like a douche and eventually stop playing it because you're so sick of it and don't want to be know as "that kid" but it helps in the end.
also, don't learn soloing for one music style. the greatest things you can learn for soloing is know what your NOT doing.
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
When you're speaking of solos you're talking about a wide spectrum of possible problems, even if you're just trying to play other peoples solos. But if you want to get better at playing solos I guess you could break it down into this..

1: Technique. http://www.justinguitar.com/ has an exercise called finger gym that's good for some basic hammerons and pull offs using all your fingers, and I think there is a similar exercise on this website as well. As far as bends go, practicing to hit certain notes will help improve your bends. Vibratos is something I constantly watch and read on, and try to improve on.. though there isnt a great exercise other than listening to others and trying to emulate theirs. In general, any exercise or practice with techniques will help you play solos.

2: Speed) Playing with a metronome, crap loads of videos and exercises discussing this. Hand tension (from the thumb to the fingers) and finger strength, again their are topics out there about this all over.

2.5: Scales) You can use scales for all of the above PLUS just practicing scales will help you move get comfortable moving your fingers.

3: Practice) Just keep practicing solos, take it one phrase at a time.. make that first phrase your goal. Start by memorizing the pattern, the first part of speed is memory. Then work to the point you can play it faster (dont so much worry about keeping the actual songs tempo, though sometimes it just happens subconsciously) Then play it to the song over and over again till you know you have it.

4: Theory) If you ever want to create your own solos, understanding how the solo was created can help you. Realizing what key they're playing in, what scale, ect ect. The more you can learn from the song, the better you'll be in the long run.

Also.. just learning one solo at a time, one song at a time means the next song will be easier. The more songs you learn, the more your fingers and mind get use to certain patterns, moving in different ways, then before you know it you'll only need a few run throughs before you can play a song.
Last edited by sparta09 at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by sparta09
When you're speaking of solos you're talking about a wide spectrum of possible problems, even if you're just trying to play other peoples solos. But if you want to get better at playing solos I guess you could break it down into this..

1: Technique. http://www.justinguitar.com/ has an exercise called finger gym that's good for some basic hammerons and pull offs using all your fingers, and I think there is a similar exercise on this website as well. As far as bends go, practicing to hit certain notes will help improve your bends. Vibratos is something I constantly watch and read on, and try to improve on.. though there isnt a great exercise other than listening to others and trying to emulate theirs. In general, any exercise or practice with techniques will help you play solos.

2: Speed) Playing with a metronome, crap loads of videos and exercises discussing this. Hand tension (from the thumb to the fingers) and finger strength, again their are topics out there about this all over.

2.5: Scales) You can use scales for all of the above PLUS just practicing scales will help you move get comfortable moving your fingers.

3: Practice) Just keep practicing solos, take it one phrase at a time.. make that first phrase your goal. Start by memorizing the pattern, the first part of speed is memory. Then work to the point you can play it faster (dont so much worry about keeping the actual songs tempo, though sometimes it just happens subconsciously) Then play it to the song over and over again till you know you have it.

4: Theory) If you ever want to create your own solos, understanding how the solo was created can help you. Realizing what key they're playing in, what scale, ect ect. The more you can learn from the song, the better you'll be in the long run.

Also.. just learning one solo at a time, one song at a time means the next song will be easier. The more songs you learn, the more your fingers and mind get use to certain patterns, moving in different ways, then before you know it you'll only need a few run throughs before you can play a song.

I agree with almost everything said. The part I bolded not so much. Although patterns are important, it is still very important to get used to playing the tempo right every time when you can (unless you can't play it yet, and still trying to build up your speed).

Just my opinion, the rest is great advise by the way.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Last edited by sites.nick at Jul 15, 2010,