http://www.myspace.com/musicofchon

So im looking to get a tone like this band for around 500 to 600 dollars. I am more then willing to go used and also the amp needs to be tube. Also cleans do matter cause i will be using this amp for school jazz band. also a quick question but will a eq pedal help me find my tone even more? i was thinking of buying the mxr 10 band eq to go along with the amp.
If you looked at the video they had up the guitarist was using a triple rectifier, which go for $1500 plus. So i'd suggest a b-52 at-100 or similar model, they are a $600 all tube amp that apparently have a similar sound to a rectifier, or the bugera 333xl, same thing practically. The b-52 only has a head version, but i think the 333xl has a combo version and a head version. Apparently they can have some technical issues but i wouldn't know. And yes an eq would greatly help you find this tone. But im gonna warn you those two amps may not be reliable, they are cheap tube amps, they may give you the tone but their reliability might not be the best.
The MXR 10 band EQ is amazing and will definitely help with tone shaping. The selectors are very responsive. It does matter where it's located in the chain though; consider what sound you want to "shape". If it's between guitar and amp then you're shaping the tone of the guitar, if you put it after a distortion pedal (or in the amp's effects loop) then you're shaping the distortion (or amp's) tone. It depends on the player's preference so try it different ways. You won't be disappointed.
For the love of god, please don't get a high-gain monstrosity for this kind of stuff. I'd go for a nice low/mid-gain amp and use some dirt pedals with it. BTW, Chon are wicked.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
For the love of god, please don't get a high-gain monstrosity for this kind of stuff. I'd go for a nice low/mid-gain amp and use some dirt pedals with it. BTW, Chon are wicked.

Uhhh......there's a gain knob.....just back it off as needed

Both amps go from one end of the spectrum to the other, nicely (at least he'll have the extra gain on tap just in case. (I'd rather have a wolf-in-sheeps-clothing then a one-trick-pony)