Alright so I'm moving from Hawaii to Washington D.C. and the movers are gonna pack my amp up in a hardwood box with lots of packing material inside. I was wondering if It was okay to leave the tubes in the amp (like they came) or take them out?

I'm insuring it and shipping it with UPS ground because it will be cheaper than using the home movers and 5weeks faster.

I wanna hook it up to my ordered Mills Acoustics Mach212B asap!

Thanks fellas.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
lolz double postz. seriously, no suggestions? Sadface..
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Always remove the tubes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Remove the tubes and wrap them in bubble wrap then place inside the head. Make sure there's a lot of tight padding on each side of the amp, double boxing is preferred. Also, FedEx is much safer than UPS. UPS is notorious for destroying stuff in transit, so much so that many manufacturers won't accept returns or warranty claims if you ship an item back to them via UPS.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I would pack the tubes separately, just to be on the safe side, but on a side note, I used to toss my Valveking in the back of my truck and drive to Liberty Hill, it got throw around and stuff all the time, never had a problem. But now it sits in my passenger seat, cause I turned it into a head, so it fits in small places better.
Quote by mmolteratx
Remove the tubes and wrap them in bubble wrap then place inside the head. Make sure there's a lot of tight padding on each side of the amp, double boxing is preferred. Also, FedEx is much safer than UPS. UPS is notorious for destroying stuff in transit, so much so that many manufacturers won't accept returns or warranty claims if you ship an item back to them via UPS.

Great, thank you.

Is FedEx THAT much safer? I think its an extra $30 to use fedex home delivery but were talking about an expensive head so I'm willing to pay whatever to make sure its safe.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
I've never heard of problems with FedEx and I've never had a problem when using them. The only time I've used UPS was when I bought a computer and monitor from Dell a few years back and when it came the monitor was smashed so I never used them again. There are many similar stories online, most reliably a few from Jim of Southbay Ampworks/Scumback Speakers where he's had speakers and amps destroyed in the mail every single time he's used UPS at a customer's request. FedEx is expensive as hell but they're reliable and fast. I tend to use USPS when shipping smaller stuff though as they're cheap as **** and I've never had a problem with them either.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Thanks! I heard fragile stickers just piss off UPS/FedEx workers from people who work there. Should I just put no sticker on or put a "Please handle with care, thank you!" label on (if I can find one)? I'll assume I should remove both power tubes AND preamp tubes. I'll do that and make sure to wrap them in bubble wrap
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Yea, remove all the tubes. Not sure about the stickers. I don't ever put stickers on stuff when I ship.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by RocknRory
Great, thank you.

Is FedEx THAT much safer? I think its an extra $30 to use fedex home delivery but were talking about an expensive head so I'm willing to pay whatever to make sure its safe.

Yes.

I've had like 4 things arrived broken from UPS so far (thankfully nothing too bad - just tubes and some loose transformers), but FedEx has never even delivered a package that looks like it was abused at any point in the shipping process.

That's odd that it's more expensive... usually FedEx is cheaper by like $10.

Also - since it's going that far (across an ocean), pack the entire inside of the amp with newspaper. It will ensure that if anything does happen to get loosened up during shipping, it won't move around too much, and certainly won't destroy anything inside it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes.

I've had like 4 things arrived broken from UPS so far (thankfully nothing too bad - just tubes and some loose transformers), but FedEx has never even delivered a package that looks like it was abused at any point in the shipping process.

That's odd that it's more expensive... usually FedEx is cheaper by like $10.

Also - since it's going that far (across an ocean), pack the entire inside of the amp with newspaper. It will ensure that if anything does happen to get loosened up during shipping, it won't move around too much, and certainly won't destroy anything inside it.

FedEx it is! Yeah I'm not sure why FedEx is more expensive, probably to do with something about traveling 6,000 miles. I just took the tubes out and individually wrapped each with bubble wrap and taped the bubble wrap so it was secure, I put them in the back of the inside of the chassis and shoved more bubble wrap in there and then put the tube cage on so everything is secure and doesn't even move around. It's gonna be in a crate too! I doubt it will be damaged but knock on wood.

Thanks guys. I'll be bringing my guitar with me on the plane like usual, and pedal's and the footswitch will go in my baggage.

I'll be ready to rock right when I get there.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Yeah. I've had quite a bit of things delivered by UPS lately because I've been using eBay a lot and for some reason people on there insist on using UPS eventhough USPS would be cheaper for about 90% of the stuff. Thankfully nothings been broken, yet.

They've been pissing me off though. I've ordered many things that were insured for well over $700 (including a guitar insured for $3000, and the box said GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP GUITAR on it!), and they just keep leaving it at the door, not even ringing the door bell!!

My FedEx driver is really nice and actually comes back later in the day if I don't answer the first time. I've also had multiple people send packages to the wrong street (both similar sounding words), and since he knows me, he still delivers it to me instead of where it says. Hell, even the USPS driver is great. Me and him always chat when he delivers something, and he always tells me he takes really good care of my packages when he sees my name on them The UPS driver is a grump.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 15, 2010,