Poll: Which of these guitar manufacturers is the best for a beginner who plays all styles?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which of these guitar manufacturers is the best for a beginner who plays all styles?
B.C. Rich
1 1%
Dean
3 3%
Epiphone (and other Gibson-owned companies, like Kramer)
20 20%
ESP/LTD
11 11%
Ibanez
33 34%
Jackson
4 4%
PRS
17 17%
Squier
9 9%
Voters: 98.
Page 1 of 2
...which is the best for a beginner who wishes to cover as much musical ground as possible with one instrument? I'm talkin' <$500 price range here.

EDIT: I meant <$500 Australian dollars, preferably, but alright.

SCHECTER TALLY: 3
Last edited by knotrice at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Which manufacturers?

The ones over there. Where I'm pointing.

Edit: Now there's a poll up
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

See there. Sorry, hadn't posted the poll yet.

EDIT: Snap.
Last edited by knotrice at Jul 14, 2010,
epis are best for beginers...long lasting durable and they sound great...if u get good buy new pickups and call it a gibson cuz thats the only difference
i voted for ibanez but id say between ibanez if u like thin necks, esp/ltd if u like moderatley thin necks, and schecter if u like medium/thicker necks
Eh.
Epi Les Paul Special II is an unreal guitar for the price. I have had mine for 4 years now and record all my music on it for my band. Despite not being a 'high end' guitar this thing can really make some awesome sounds both clean and distorted.
I changed the pickups in it and now it really is awesome.

I keep wanting to buy a new guitar but honestly I love this guitar a lot right now, can't see myself dishing out 500-600$ when this 150$-200$ is great.
i put ibanez, because they have some affordable entry level guitars that are decent quality compared to other brands.

at entry level you prolly wanna stay away from dean and bc rich...

i'd say if you dont have too much money to spend go with ibanez, schecter, or epiphone
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Evidently, some people would've liked Schecter to be in the poll. If you'd like to vote for Schecter, just make a post saying that you would like to and why you think they are better than the other companies, and I will edit a tally into my first post.
hey i got an epi les paul 2...ive had it for 3 years and it was my first guitar...i love it so much that i have the money to buy a strat but id want it because i have this...thats how good it is...
Quote by gtosteve65
epis are best for beginers...long lasting durable and they sound great...if u get good buy new pickups and call it a gibson cuz thats the only difference

hand made > machine made

gibson headstock > epiphone headstock

Fyi if a 200$ set of after market pickups were the only difference they wouldn't be $500-$2000 more. That isn't to say that you won't get a pretty close thing with a new set of pickups but if close cut it you would see a lot more people buying epiphones and a lot less people drooling over gibsons.

Edit: and for the money a used rg is what i would recommend for a beginner.
Last edited by colgo889 at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by gtosteve65

no it absolutely fucking isn't. Don't be telling people that shit because they will just end up disappointed.
Why not Fender MIM's? Get a used one.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I voted for B.C. Rich so that I could see the votes at the top of the page. Discount my vote whenever looking at the results.
Quote by knotrice
I voted for B.C. Rich so that I could see the votes at the top of the page. Discount my vote whenever looking at the results.

Just admit that you like B.C. Rich
Hey, I coulda voted Dean or Jackson, but I only chose B.C. Rich because it was right at the top of the page.
Ibanez GRG models.

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
I don't know how much guitars cost in Australian dollas
But if you can get a PRS for $500, then I would go for it. Amazing guitars.
Epiphone are also great, and the higher end Squires are also good.
I wouldn't go for a Ibanez if you play a range of styles, there more geared towards metal and heavy rock
I said Ibanez, mostly cause they're cheaper guitars are actually pretty decent. They definitely make some of the best low end guitars on the market if you ask me. And all around i'd say they outclass most all guitars in their prices ranges, even when you get into the more expensive ones. They really give you your bang for your buck.
Quote by Gods_Gift
I don't know how much guitars cost in Australian dollas
But if you can get a PRS for $500, then I would go for it. Amazing guitars.
Epiphone are also great, and the higher end Squiers are also good.
I wouldn't go for a Ibanez if you play a range of styles, there more geared towards metal and heavy rock

100% agreed.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
It's silly going by manufacturer, as if every guitar a brand puts out is the same. You also absolutely can not generalise what is the best guitar for any given task because it's completely subjective to each player. What one person says is the most comfortable guitar to learn on, another person might find hard to play. What one person calls a fast neck, another calls a slow neck.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by knotrice
Pardon?

and what exactly is your reasoning?
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 15, 2010,
Depends on what model. Otherwise it's meaningless

It's like chosing between a Ford, Toyota and Volkswagen....what type of vehicle? comparing a truck with a sports car with a family van.

In your price range you can get a good quality used guitar...Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez SZ series, etc...all guitars you can resell for what you buy them for (if you want to change axes in future).

Buy your ax new for $500 including tax and you might get $200 for it if you decide to trade up in future.
Well I didn't see Ibanez winning before I came in(lulz, sarcasm), but I'd go with Squier. I've played everything from Led Zeppelin to CCR to Megadeth on a Squier Affinity Strat and it's sounded fine the whole time. Just...don't go for a Bullet Strat. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by MrFlibble
It's silly going by manufacturer, as if every guitar a brand puts out is the same. You also absolutely can not generalise what is the best guitar for any given task because it's completely subjective to each player. What one person says is the most comfortable guitar to learn on, another person might find hard to play. What one person calls a fast neck, another calls a slow neck.

However, there are guitar manufacturers who make terrible low-end guitars - look at the current poll ratings for B.C. Rich, Dean, and Jackson, for example. This is what I'm trying to do: filter out the crap and pick one that's going to be okay. I don't appreciate my methods being called silly, by the way.
Quote by Enix165
Well I didn't see Ibanez winning before I came in(lulz, sarcasm)

Actually, out of curiosity, i'd like to know the percentage of UGers who are Ibanez fanboys.
I'd say around 60 to 70%...?

Quote by Enix165
I'd go with Squier. I've played everything from Led Zeppelin to CCR to Megadeth on a Squier Affinity Strat and it's sounded fine the whole time. Just...don't go for a Bullet Strat. =P

Yeah, that too... Bullet Strats are horrid guitars. Absolute garbage.
I managed to break a tremolo arm in one, without abusing it... Just snapped like a toothpick.

The Squier Affinity and Standard series are really nice, though.
But the Classic Vibe, Deluxe and Vintage Modified series are definitely awesome guitars.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
But low-end Jacksons and Deans are no worse than those from Squier, Ibanez, etc. In fact low-end Jacksons basically are Squiers. The cheap BC Richs aren't actually any worse than most other guitars at the same price point either. A lot of people on here are fourteen year olds who give Epi LP Special-IIs and Ibanez RG321s 10/10 review scores for Christ's sake. There is a lot of blind brand bias and very few people who have actually given all (or at least most) of the guitars from each brand to compare them evenly. Any replies you get are utterly meaningless outside of the few knowledgeable people here who are all going to tell you the same thing; it's not as black & white as you make it out to be and you need to just go and try a bunch of guitars for yourself.

Quote by Linkerman

But the Classic Vibe, Deluxe and Vintage Modified series are definitely awesome guitars.
Classic Vibe, certainly. Deluxe, not really. Vintage Modified, absolutely not.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Linkerman

Actually, out of curiosity, i'd like to know the percentage of UGers who are Ibanez fanboys.
I'd say around 60 to 70%...?

yeah prolly

I wouldnt call myself a fanboy though,A guy who adores ibanez and their neck profiles

If you're gonna go budget,I would recommend a yamaha PAC or an agile but if you're going super low budget I would recommend a douglas or a SX

but If you're buying a squire for the love of god dont buy a M80,one of my buddies has a M80 and its pretty crap :/

pups are muddy like hell,tuners are crap,doesnt hold tuning for much long,the switches and everything is far less robust than the ones on my previous RGX A2

EDIT : Fixed
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by MrFlibble
Vintage Modified, absolutely not.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

From my experience with them, they are really good guitars.
Just considering the local bands, there are 4 Squier Vintage Modified HSS Strats (the ones with the Duncan Designed pups) currently under use.

They all take a beating, being carried from home to car trunk, to practice spot, home again, gig venue... and they don't even get out of tune easily. Reliability? Checked.
They are well-built, sound good, and feel good.

For 280€, i'd say they're more than worth the price.

EDIT:
Quote by archenemyfan
I am going to say no to squire,one of my buddies has a M80 and its pretty crap :/ IDK about affinity strats though

Hey, don't put an entire guitar manufacturer aside just because it makes a couple of guitar models that suck.

It's like saying "no" to Marshall as a whole, just because they make the MG series...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by Linkerman

They all take a beating, being carried from home to car trunk, to practice spot, home again, gig venue... and they don't even get out of tune easily. Reliability? Checked.
They are well-built, sound good, and feel good.
This is what I was told before I bought mine. Turned out to be utter bollocks. Genuinely one of the worst guitars I've ever had the misfortune to play, let alone own.
Quote by MrFlibble
This is what I was told before I bought mine. Turned out to be utter bollocks. Genuinely one of the worst guitars I've ever had the misfortune to play, let alone own.

Maybe you got a defective guitar?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman

EDIT:

Hey, don't put an entire guitar manufacturer aside just because it makes a couple of guitar models that suck.

It's like saying "no" to Marshall as a whole, just because they make the MG series...

yeah yeah I know,I am gonna change it..srry

Quote by Linkerman
Maybe you got a defective guitar?
Not likely. Everything was made correctly - it's just the base materials are shite. That cedar body? Muffled, dull tone with zero sustain and next to no clarity. The fretboard was the lowest quality excuse for rosewood I've ever seen outside of the low Ibanez models. The pots had an awful on/off taper and the jack was a cheap clicky one that locks everything in so much you practically have to break it every time you unplug the bugger. The nut was hollow too, something even Wesley guitars don't do.
Page 1 of 2