Hey guys, just created a new account, haven't been to UG in so long.

Well, I've got a Yamaha acoustic guitar. My first guitar, and it's treated me well for the 4 years I've had it. Plays well and everything, perfect beginner guitar. This is the guitar here. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-CPX700-Cutaway-AcousticElectic-Guitar-?sku=512133

I'm starting a band now, and I'm looking to upgrade guitars. Yamaha is alright, but I wanna know what other brands to look at. I picked up a Larivee at the guitar store today, and it just played beautifully! (I actually picked up a couple, and those were wonderful instruments). Unfortunately, they are out of my price range... $1200 plus.

My budget? Eh, somewhere around $500 to $800. Can't be so beginner, and the sound has to be a strong and full sound. What brands in particular should I check out? Any specific models?

If you're too lazy to read, this is what I want:
1) good, loyal brand
2) within price range of 500 to 800 dollars
3) strong, full sound
4) able to play for an audience (plug-in for amp maybe?)
5) looks decent

Well, thanks for the help in advance, guys!
Last edited by jBookey at Jul 14, 2010,
there are much better sounding yamahas. i suggest you check out the yamaha L series, which are all solid, or else the fgx730sc, which sounds tons better than the cpx family.

also check out seagull - they have many different guitars, each with their own sound. and blueridge, which i find has a nice loud and great sound - in fact, one of my favorite brands. don't forget to check out the guild GAD series as you could add an aftermarket pickup. i can't believe how great they are - all solid, very well made, sound great, nice finish. last, although i don't care for the epiphone masterbilt line, they're definitely good bang for the all solid guitar buck and lots of people do like 'em a lot.
I still think the Yamaha is a great guitar for any stage in your playing. I've heard good reviews about Larivees. Have you looked at breedlove yet? I believe most of their models are in an affordable price range and they do sound beautiful. Best thing to do is try every type of guitar you can find (in your price range or lower) until you feel it's the right fit.
You can probably find a used Larrivee 03 series for about $800. Since you already know you like the way they play and sound, that's what I would look for.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Quote by patticake
there are much better sounding yamahas. i suggest you check out the yamaha L series, which are all solid, or else the fgx730sc, which sounds tons better than the cpx family.

also check out seagull - they have many different guitars, each with their own sound. and blueridge, which i find has a nice loud and great sound - in fact, one of my favorite brands. don't forget to check out the guild GAD series as you could add an aftermarket pickup. i can't believe how great they are - all solid, very well made, sound great, nice finish. last, although i don't care for the epiphone masterbilt line, they're definitely good bang for the all solid guitar buck and lots of people do like 'em a lot.

Thanks for the advice, I would prefer to move to a diferent brand though. Although I have had great first experience with Yamaha, I still want to continue and explore other brands until I can ultimately rest on one or two in the distant future.

The Guild guitars look great for my price, and I'll definitely check out the brands you suggested, thank you.

and @i_don't_know,
thank you for the advice, I think there is a guitar shop I can buy used stuff in my city, I'll give that a look.