Hi all,

I'm coming up to putting a custom telecaster together and am buying a body that doesn't have the bridge holes pre-drilled (It's the only one i can get that fits the neck) and was wondering, since it's supposed to be a 25.5" scale guitar, what part of the bridge exactly has to be 25.5 inches from the nut?

Is it the saddles? or the holes that the strings use to go through the body???

And also, with drilling through the body so that the string are inserted through the back of the body, is there a special way of doing it? or do i just drill straight through it with a small drill piece and then countersink it?

Thanks
Scale length is the distance from right where the string leaves the saddle to right where it reaches the nut..
but if you look here:

All the saddles are different distances from the nut, which one is 25.5 inches? Or does it not matter as you can adjust the intonation?
Use the high E string for bridge position, this will sit closest to 25.5" than any of the other strings. The reason the saddles are aligned that was is down to intonation, it gets a little complicated. If you don't know why the saddles are scattered like that, I'm guessing you probably won't know how to intonate your guitar so I'd get someone to do it for you.

See the screws that go through the springs and into the saddle? Use that and adjust the (high E) saddle so it is approx 3/4 of its travel towards the bridge before you work out the bridge position.
Quote by lostcreation333
If you don't know why the saddles are scattered like that, I'm guessing you probably won't know how to intonate your guitar so I'd get someone to do it for you.

Or ask for help on a forum....?
Quote by lostcreation333
Use the high E string for bridge position, this will sit closest to 25.5" than any of the other strings. The reason the saddles are aligned that was is down to intonation, it gets a little complicated. If you don't know why the saddles are scattered like that, I'm guessing you probably won't know how to intonate your guitar so I'd get someone to do it for you.

I do know how to intonate, and i do know why they are scattered, i was just wondering whether you used the closest or the furthest from the bridge.
Quote by minnis
I do know how to intonate, and i do know why they are scattered, i was just wondering whether you used the closest or the furthest from the bridge.

Sorry, it's just the way you said: "but if you look here: (pic) All the saddles are different distances from the nut, which one is 25.5 inches?".

I would've thought that if you knew about intonation and why the saddles are scattered then you'd not need to ask that question.