Feel free to correct me here people;

Is this one way?

And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB

Is this one way?

well, if this is it ty, lets see if people agree or not
i'm guessing you haven't encountered the concept of voicings, but there is far more than one way to play any given chord on a guitar.

the notes of A#m7b9 are A# C# E# G# B. you're probably better off figuring it out yourself, really.

here's a simple voicing:

e|-1-|
B|-0-|
G|-1-|
D|-x-|
A|-1-|
E|-x-|

the third is omitted here, however. if you wanted to play the third, you could play the second fret of the B string instead, but then you'd lose the b9. if you want to put the b9 in the bass, you could also do this:

e|-1-|
B|-2-|
G|-1-|
D|-x-|
A|-2-|
E|-x-|

though this might not sound good (or it could sound excellent) depending on the context.

EDIT:

Quote by AlanHB

Is this one way?

where's the b9? what you have there is just A#7sus2 (or A#msus2, depending on context).
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by AeolianWolf
i'm guessing you haven't encountered the concept of voicings, but there is far more than one way to play any given chord on a guitar.

the notes of A#m7b9 are A# C# E# G# B. you're probably better off figuring it out yourself, really.

here's a simple voicing:

e|-1-|
B|-0-|
G|-1-|
D|-x-|
A|-1-|
E|-x-|

the third is omitted here, however. if you wanted to play the third, you could play the second fret of the B string instead, but then you'd lose the b9. if you want to put the b9 in the bass, you could also do this:

e|-1-|
B|-2-|
G|-1-|
D|-x-|
A|-2-|
E|-x-|

though this might not sound good (or it could sound excellent) depending on the context.

okay, i know that but it is just that i find a chord with a weird name and i go crazy, but now that you say it im asumming it has a 7th somewhere and a the flat of a 9th somewhere
Quote by actaderock
okay, i know that but it is just that i find a chord with a weird name and i go crazy, but now that you say it im asumming it has a 7th somewhere and a the flat of a 9th somewhere

honestly, that's pretty much it. the formula for a m7 chord is 1 b3 5 b7. just add a b9 on there and you've got a m7b9 chord. that's really all it is.
Quote by AeolianWolf

where's the b9? what you have there is just A#7sus2 (or A#msus2, depending on context).

Ahh cheers. I always forget about that 9th in relation to the major scale terminology, if you catch my drift. Such are the hazards of non-formal learning
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Ahh cheers. I always forget about that 9th in relation to the major scale terminology, if you catch my drift. Such are the hazards of non-formal learning

my dream is to have a formal music education. if i ever get the money, i'm going to go study music in a german conservatory.

that doesn't seem likely, though.
Quote by NoOne0507
7 b9 B
6 5 E#
6 b3 C#
6 7 G#
8 5 E#
6 Root A#

pretty much what I thought, but I figured

e|--
B|--0
G|--7
D|--6
A|--8
E|--6
Quote by AeolianWolf
my dream is to have a formal music education. if i ever get the money

that doesn't seem likely, though.

Just become an Australian citizen - Government will pay for your higher education needs
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Just become an Australian citizen - Government will pay for your higher education needs

Are you talking about HECS? You have to pay that back...
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Are you talking about HECS? You have to pay that back...

Although this is off topic, if you want to claim that you're gonna feel that 5% of your income missing from your elevated income after living on instant noodles for 4 years, you're obviously not living a true student lifestyle.
Soundcloud
Quote by AeolianWolf
honestly, that's pretty much it. the formula for a m7 chord is 1 b3 5 b7. just add a b9 on there and you've got a m7b9 chord. that's really all it is.

or you could see it like this example: Emi7b9...E G B D F...no root and you have a nice G7 chord...and lots of easy fingerings and nice sounding voicings...include the root and you have a G13 (no 9th) sound..

play well

wolf
Quote by actaderock
A sharp Min7b9

yeah, how to position my fingers on the fretboard as simple as that

out of curiosity, why the interest in this chord? did you find it in a song or something?

They may "exist" but they are not common in mainstream music. Unless you have a specific reason to learn it, Id suggest focusing on more commonly used chords.

How to play one?......take a m9 chord..... flat the 9.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
out of curiosity, why the interest in this chord? did you find it in a song or something?

They may "exist" but they are not common in mainstream music. Unless you have a specific reason to learn it, Id suggest focusing on more commonly used chords.

How to play one?......take a m9 chord..... flat the 9.

That is the very outlook that has resulted in pop music.
Quote by canvasDude

it's not as if pop music doesn't already exist. and it probably won't cease to exist soon.

besides, i have no quarrel with pop music. makes it that much easier for those of us who have better composition skills to look good.
Quote by canvasDude

You think that being aware of modern conventions is solely responsible for the existance of pop music?

and you wave your finger at me as if there is something wrong with pop music?

Very sad.

Quote by AeolianWolf

besides, i have no quarrel with pop music. makes it that much easier for those of us who have better composition skills to look good.

But seriously, if your talking about the Jonas Brothers maybe, but the Beatles?

but your right , the business side of things has really lowered the bar. The thing is the people that like bands like the jonas brother aren't into it for the compositional skills, so you have no advantage with them.... unless your poster boy material. (thats the sell)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
but your right , the business side of things has really lowered the bar. The thing is the people that like bands like the jonas brother aren't into it for the compositional skills, so you have no advantage with them.... unless your poster boy material. (thats the sell)

dude, i'm not even paperboy material.
Quote by AeolianWolf
dude, i'm not even paperboy material.

shred is gaudy music
Play it
x
x

Let the bassist worry about the root and don't include the clunky 5th on the A string. Hell, you could even take it out all together and play it
x
x
Last edited by onethreesixfive at Jul 15, 2010,
There are many ways to play this chord.

--7---
--6---
--6---
--6---
--8---
--6---

Btw, there is also an F in A#m7b9

--4----
--6----
--4----
--6----
--4----
--6----

--6----
--9----
--6----
--6----
--8----
--6----
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Last edited by c_foster88 at Jul 15, 2010,