Ok well I believe I have dialed in a pretty nice tone on my 5150 II for shred. I also have a JCM 900 and it feels like someone is sticking a toothpick into my earlobe, so damn bright. I let the Marshall mystique push me away from something like a Boogie and whatnot. Anyway, my favorite players are Vai, Petrucci, Loomis, Govan, Lane, and Gilbert, with a small bit of Batio. I am looking for an amp with a warm, articulate, and liquidy lead tone. I know a lot of information about amps, but have not had hands on experience with many. I have an idea that most of you will recommend a Mark V or IV, but with my styles and desired tone, what amp would you yourself use? Thanks in advance.

Also, a budget is not pertinent in this situation as I am looking for an amp that will give me my perfect tone. I will also be boosting the amp with a Boss SD-1. I am not against getting the amp modded either.
Last edited by guitarmack1 at Jul 15, 2010,
Good shred is about how you play it, not necessarily the amp...... Now if there is a specific sound that you want you should either find a good modeling system, or buy all the pedals you need individually, no brand is best, especially if you are starting to keep up with the people you mentioned, it is the sound you want that matters, customize it and find what you want, a good clean amp makes this the easiest
Last edited by Bad Kharmel at Jul 15, 2010,
I have been playing for 10 years. I have all the techniques down and for the most part I can sight read a lead. I have plenty of pedals. I simply asked for a good amp. An amp has more to do with playing than you would think.
for shred, a Laney vh100r or gh50/100

the VH is 2 channel, GH is 1 channel amp
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
for shred, a Laney vh100r or gh50/100

the VH is 2 channel, GH is 1 channel amp

Thanks. I have looked at Laneys for a while, mainly because I enjoy Mattias IA Eklund's tone. They aren't bright are they. I know Marshalls are naturally bright (for the most part) regardless of settings.
you're gona boost it with a sd-1....err well that's cool i guess.

you need a slo.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
you're gona boost it with a sd-1....err well that's cool i guess.

you need a slo.

Well not necessarily boost, but kinda use it to tighten up the amp's gain. And yea, who doesn't need a SLO. Too bad they are so expensive. Plus the 5150 has similar circuitry to the SLO anyway.
I'm gonna throw in a high-end Engl. I've gotten some cool sounds from them.
Quote by holycow
if budget is not a problem, check out some Fryette amps like the Pitbull Ultra-lead
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fryette-Pittbull-UltraLead-G100ULEQ-120W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=582546

Yea those are great amps. Problem with that is, which for the price I am going to assume this wont happen in the near future, what if it has a problem. Idk any Fryette dealers in my area.
Quote by Seref
I'm gonna throw in a high-end Engl. I've gotten some cool sounds from them.

Like a Fireball 100, or are we talking Powerball?
Quote by guitarmack1
Well not necessarily boost, but kinda use it to tighten up the amp's gain. And yea, who doesn't need a SLO. Too bad they are so expensive. Plus the 5150 has similar circuitry to the SLO anyway.

Similar circuitry (it's not even that similar) != similar sound...

Maybe a Jet City Amps JCA100? Or a Mesa Electradyne?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^ I am astonished that it took 12 comments before someone would recommend the mighty Mark series. That's what I am leaning towards.
To be honest, there are tons and tons and toooooons of amps out there that can do shred. I'd listen to lots of different clips of amps to get a feel of what you like best.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by guitarmack1
Like a Fireball 100, or are we talking Powerball?

I'd pick something like the Invader myself
the mark is of course nice but it's great for it's versatility if your looking for an amp to do one thing really really well there are better options then the mark.

Also the 5150 sounds nothing nothing at all like a slo.

but off the top of my head for shred.

fryette sig/x, pitbull ultralead
rivera kr7, ktre
engl powerball, se, ,fireball, invader
fortin meathead, bones, natas
splawn nitro
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Ooh, Splawn. Forgot about them. A Splawn Nitro is good. I love the way they sound with KT77s.