I know chord prog. 145 rthym etc. I want to get my rythem , strumming. What is next theroy wise for me? I like blues. Rock.

Blues I like 12 bar whhat else is there.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
I think you need to use a spell checker. If I got you right, you want to learn more music theory, more than just the I, IV, and V chords to play, and you like to play blues and rock.

First of all, if you understand why the chords you are playing are called 1, 4, and 5, then you are well into your music theory learning.

If you get to know scales (which I highly recommend. All great guitarists know scales and practice them all the time), you will find that the 1 is the root note of the scale. So if your scale is C Major, then the 1 chord is the C chord. The 2 is the D, the 3 is E, 4 is F, 5 is G, 6 is A, 7 is B, and 8 is back to C. So your three chords, 1, 4, and 5 are the same as C, F, and G.

If you want to play more, start learning the scale chords. UG has a lot of articles on music theory that you can use to learn more about guitar theory. Learn one scale note by note, then chord by chord. Yuu will be surprised to find that some of the chords in a scale are major, some are minor, and some are diminished. For instance, the C chord scale is like this:

C Major, D minor, E minor, F Major, G Major, A minor, B diminished, C Major.

You can get a book on basic music theory. Its really good to learn the basics, then to move on to learn guitar theory specifically. I checked mine out from the library, but you can get them at bookstores too. I recommend the Everything Music Theory Book and the Everything Guitar Book (they are similar to the Idiot's Guide books, but a little better). The Idiot's Guide are good for an introduction too.

www.about.com has a 12 lesson, free of charge, guitar program. Go to www.about.com, go to guitar, and then go to lessons. Get them sent to your email once a week, take notes, and practice. It will help.

Good luck.
Last edited by miumiu at Jul 15, 2010,
ty yes i have the idoits guide. Ya i know scales all types that are common. I know them by shape no note tho. Maybe i should try that and start with pent first. Isnt say C scale thats 1 4 5 cfg. Those notes are in the C pent scale? but in the pent scale actually they leave out notes. I know the blues one adds the b5. what i wanna know is can u reverse it. Say 1 chord be Minor. so would it be Min,maj,maj, min , min,major dem octive? I have to read the rest of the big 12 part lesson on theory on here.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
If you know scales as patterns then you don't really know any theory.

In short, time to learn some notes so you can start understanding all this stuff.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by silly6-string
Wow nice responce. Am I in the pit?

^ practically.

seriously though, you can't learn theory by going to a forum and asking "what should I do next".

some suggestions...

learn to read music (standard notation)
build a repertoire of music

then..... study theory from a legitimate book, rather than by random advice/lessons online.

I mean, you might get good advice on a specific question, but something general like "what should I do next" isn't likely to bring you helpful answers.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 15, 2010,