I'm thinking about buying a Vox AC4 after reading loads of good reviews for it, mainly for recording.

This thing seems to be able to do most styles of music pretty well, one thing it apparently falls short on though is metal. Although I don't play much metal (not really much at all, infact), I am sometimes in the mood to just crank up the amp and play some shred

So I'm wondering, does anyone have any experience with this amp, and if so, how does it handle high gain stuff? Also, would it help if I got a boost pedal and stuck it in front?

Thanks.
Quote by JackMorris
I'm thinking about buying a Vox AC4 after reading loads of good reviews for it, mainly for recording.

This thing seems to be able to do most styles of music pretty well, one thing it apparently falls short on though is metal. Although I don't play much metal (not really much at all, infact), I am sometimes in the mood to just crank up the amp and play some shred

So I'm wondering, does anyone have any experience with this amp, and if so, how does it handle high gain stuff? Also, would it help if I got a boost pedal and stuck it in front?

Thanks.

I know it's not a direct comparison, but I feel I can play metal on my Vox AC30 just as well as I can on my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. Sure, it's not as tight, but it forces you to be a better player, and sounds 100x better while doing it. So I'm sure you actually can on your AC4. Another alternative is to add the boost in front. And for that, I love my Ibanez TS-808. My only concern is that the speaker is tiny. You're not going to get a big bottom end that you'd probably want for any metal rhythm stuff.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
It does have a fair bit of gain, but you'll need an OD to do it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
As I thought. My choice really is between this and the Tiny Terror, apparently that has more gain to offer. However, the AC4 is a lot cheaper and probably more appropriate for me seeing as it's quieter, so I'll probably go with that and a boost of some sort.

Do you think I should save up for a Tiny Terror? And what boost do you recommend? Thanks
It is a superb amp but not good for metal, so you will have to buy a pedal.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
I have one myself. It can't really get very high gain that you will hear in metal. It can definitely get dirty when cranked, but more of a mid-gain hard rock/classic rock gain. I don't reou will probably need a dirt pedal of some sort to get into metal territory, wally play stuff with that much gain, though. Yhich isn't that big of a deal because there are plenty of great dirt pedals out there that are worth the money. I can't personally give any recommendations because I don't have too much experience with any.
Quote by patbuck2
I have one myself. It can't really get very high gain that you will hear in metal. It can definitely get dirty when cranked, but more of a mid-gain hard rock/classic rock gain. I don't reou will probably need a dirt pedal of some sort to get into metal territory, wally play stuff with that much gain, though. Yhich isn't that big of a deal because there are plenty of great dirt pedals out there that are worth the money. I can't personally give any recommendations because I don't have too much experience with any.

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll do some boost and overdrive pedal research then
Quote by JackMorris
Ok, thanks. I guess I'll do some boost and overdrive pedal research then

Sure. You can even ask around in the pedalboard thread. That's what I usually do. The people in there are usually pretty knowledgeable about this stuff.
the problem with the ac4 and metal is not about how it sounds it's 100 percent a problem of headroom. unless your using a straight up voicing pedal you'll mud out the sound the second your tubes start to breakup.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
the problem with the ac4 and metal is not about how it sounds it's 100 percent a problem of headroom. unless your using a straight up voicing pedal you'll mud out the sound the second your tubes start to breakup.

Yeah, I've noticed that the amp gets muddy when you crank it really high. What I really like about it is it's clean tone. If I want any breakup, I just like a little bit of crunch that is usually just due to my naturally very heavy picking.