Hey all.

I've just bought a fender MIJ strat off ebay and the serial number begins with an I.

I've looked at fenders site and they say they had made in USA stamped on the bottom of the neck and were an export series, the neckplate was a different shape too.

However I've read on forums the information on fenders site is wrong and they just pull that information off other sites. So far I have no hope of identifying this guitar.

My one has "made in japan" written at the bottom of the neck instead of "made in USA"
The neck plate is also the standard square one.

The exports use crappy pickups and electronics whereas the non export MIJ's use the same pickups and electronics as the MIA strats of the same time period.
The non exports also got the MIA Alder/Ash while the exports got japanese basswood.

So there's a giant difference between the 2. Would anyone know anything regarding these I serial number guitars?

Cheers.
Last edited by ILLaViTaR at Jul 15, 2010,
It's not a 62 ri. guitar dater came up with this.

Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 1989 - 1990

it does not indicate export series or not. so you are saying that they put different pups and body wood on guitars destined for somewhere other than japan?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by gregs1020
It's not a 62 ri. guitar dater came up with this.

Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 1989 - 1990

it does not indicate export series or not. so you are saying that they put different pups and body wood on guitars destined for somewhere other than japan?

Thanks mate, yeah it's a standard model as I've just found out. Has gotoh tuners and only 8 screws in the pickguard.

Yeah exactly, the pickups/pots/entire electronics and the body woods were different, the ones with all the American gear were kept in Japan but a lot are around everywhere nowadays. You can tell once you take the neck off and check the wiring (american = cloth/jap export = plastic).
glad to help man.

well my mij '62 RI had plastic wiring, but the body doesn't feel or appear to be basswood. every basswood guitar i've owned has dinged very easily due to the soft nature of the wood. this strat doesn't ding up that easily, maybe the RI guitars were truer to period materials? if so why not the wiring? argh.

however i removed all of the guts and put a loaded dirty blackface lollar set in there so that point is kinda null and void.

great guitars, i'm a huge fan of the fuji-gen plant guitars.