So I'm going to Berlin with a few mates and I'm looking for some ideas for places to go and visit while we're there.

We haven't decided where to stay yet, so it doesn't matter where it is cos we'll be travelling loads anyway.

Any ideas UG?

PS: I am aware of the wall. We will visit that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
if you want some seriously depressing and kinda creepy but really worthwhile time, go see the holocaust museum. Shit's deep man.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jgbsmith
if you want some seriously depressing and kinda creepy but really worthwhile time, go see the holocaust museum. Shit's deep man.

I've heard it's worth the tearjerking to see it at least once.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
The wall is very meh.

Let's see... There are a bajillion museums and art galleries to look at, but my personal favorite is a very small one that is around the corner of where I used to live:

http://www.strychnin.com/

Adress:
Boxhagenerstrasse 36
D-10245 Berlin

It's in a smaller street in Friedrichshain (east part of berlin), and if you like different art, it's VERY worth going to.

You'll want to visit the Planetarium, because after the normal show they always have a little surprise, and it's frigging awesome.

If you like books, I'd recommend going to this little cafe/second hand book store called Cafe Tasso, it's really really nice, and on ...Tuesdays, i think? they have live music from all over the world for free.

website and adress:
http://www.cafe-tasso.de/
Frankfurter Allee 11
10247 Berlin/ Friedrichshain

as far as music clubs go, it depends on your taste in music. Knaack Club has alot of variation, and the karaoke there is always fun, there's the K17 for rock, metal and industrial, and for techno and others, just go to any of them, they're all great in Berlin.

I used to live in Berlin and it's a great, awesome city. You're gonna love it.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
^Cheers

Thats the kind of stuff I'm after. None of the website Ive seen mention the planetarium!!!
Quote by Dave_Mc

CAFE EINSTEIN!! Just off the Brandenburgtor.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Oh, and definately the Zoo. The zoo in Berlin is incredible.

There's a train in berlin that goes all the way around the city in a huge circle for about an hour. I'd really recommend just taking it at dusk, and just absorb the city in the fading sunlight while you ride around berlin listening to music. I loved doing that.

Word of advice, though: stay out of the districts of Marzahn and Neukölln. Those are the bad areas of Berlin. Some people will say stay out of Kreuzberg, too, but ignore them. They just think it's a bad area of town because of all the immigrants, but it's a perfectly normal district.
Marzahn and Neukölln, not so much.

EDIT: Oh, and the Volkspark in Friedrichshain is beautiful

clicky here
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 15, 2010,
Zoo is on the list too. Is there two of them, or did I mis translate something along the way?

And what is special about Cafe Einstein? Can't work it out from their website!
Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by AndyPandy
Zoo is on the list too. Is there two of them, or did I mis translate something along the way?

One is in the East, and one is in the center of berlin. You want to go to the one in the center of Berlin. It's right across of what was once the central station in west Berlin (it's called Zoologischer Garten now)
Quote by AndyPandy
]

From what I gather, it's just prestigious, but they do damn nice coffee and food there.

The Pergamon Museum is pretty awesome too, if you like ancient history and stuff. Even if you don't, it's still awesome. Go to the Reichstag to if you can.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Yeah the zoo should be very nice from what I've heard.

Never been to berlin myself, though.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Anything really cool thats not your typical attraction anyone can recommend? I really like the idea of the planetarium and some of the open air cinemas that seem to be around the place!
Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by AndyPandy
Anything really cool thats not your typical attraction anyone can recommend? I really like the idea of the planetarium and some of the open air cinemas that seem to be around the place!

One thing I'd recommend is taking the U5 to the station "Frankfurter Tor", and just walk down the big street. Then, when you reach the next subway station, go right into the little side streets and just walk around there, exploring the little alleyways and stuff. There're a TON of neato shops there, and when you're done, walk across the big street and do it there, too. It always smells like weed, there, though.

Oh, and if you want to see something really, really odd, go to this adress:

Rigaer Straße 6
10247 Berlin

I'm not gonna tell you what's there, but it's something you've probably never seen before.
^ I bet it's ryan naked.

Which I have seen before anyway.
Quote by Kensai
^ I bet it's ryan naked.

Which I have seen before anyway.

Actually, my old apartment in berlin was right around the corner from that adress, and every time I walked passed there I still couldn't believe that it exists.

Oh, and it's definately the source of all the weed smell in that street.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Actually, my old apartment in berlin was right around the corner from that adress, and every time I walked passed there I still couldn't believe that it exists.

Oh, and it's definately the source of all the weed smell in that street.

I just google mapped it because I was pretty curious. Is it all the trailers?
Quote by Kensai
I just google mapped it because I was pretty curious. Is it all the trailers?

nah, it's what's in front of the lot
You can't see it on Google Maps.
Zyankali Bar.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Yay, Berlin, one of the coolest cities on the planet. As a tourist, go see the Holocaust memorial, the Reichstag, everything along Unter-den-Linden (includes Brandenburg gate at one end, and plenty of awesome architecture and buildings), Museum Island, the Gendarmenmarkt, the TV tower, the Tiergarten Park, bits of the wall, Checkpoint Charlie, and a few more. Also if you can, try and find some of the sites of old nazi buildings which were destroyed in the war, I found it pretty surreal to be standing opposite a communist apartment block built on what was the site Hitlers reich chancellery. Oh and see the new station as well, that is AWESOME.

And visit Potsdam, just outside Berlin. It's like stepping into a fairytale town, absolutely incredible.

And there are plenty of bars and clubs in Berlin, when I went we found more then enough good places to go.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Last edited by Mechanixx at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by CoreysMonster
nah, it's what's in front of the lot
You can't see it on Google Maps.

Awwh...

TS when you get there take a pic. Google isn't giving me anything!
I have never been, but my brother said it was his favourite place in Europe after travelling there for a month, so i think you will enjoy it.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
After reading about all this cool shit in Berlin, I want to go now. I'm jealous.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Yeah, I can't wait!

Keep the ideas coming people! Liking it all so far!
Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by AndyPandy
Yeah, I can't wait!

Keep the ideas coming people! Liking it all so far!

I would go with some friends, but they're planning a trip to Magaluf...

And to keep on topic, Top 10 wacky things to do in Berlin.

S A D B O Y S
When I was there there I saw a pretty interesting building I wanted to go in. Unfortunately I got very sick and couldn't peek inside. Apparently it's a bar/art exhibition type of thing, look for 'Tacheles' somewhere on the Oranienburger Strasse. The night scene is pretty cool in Berlin too.

EDIT

Here's a pic from the outside, I don't wanna spoil the inside for you but you can google it if you want to:

Last edited by Captain Panda at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by AndyPandy
Absinthe Depot! I am going there. Always wanted to try that stuff!

Same. I might try talking a mate or two into going there next summer.

S A D B O Y S
When I was there there I saw a pretty interesting building I wanted to go in. Unfortunately I got very sick and couldn't peek inside. Apparently it's a bar/art exhibition type of thing, look for 'Tacheles' somewhere on the Oranienburger Strasse. The night scene is pretty cool in Berlin too.

EDIT

Here's a pic from the outside, I don't wanna spoil the inside for you but you can google it if you want to:

yeah, the tacheles is gonna close soon, they had problems with the landlord, read it in my berliner tagesspiegel today :P

so yeah, i'm from berlin as well. in fact i am in berlin right now.
the most tourist-y stuff has been said, now it depends what kind of stuff you like to plan your nightlife and stuff.
Quote by blue_strat
This is Germany we're talking about.

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Thanks alot. When i read the first sentence, i dont know why, but i laughed in the middle of my first class at tech school. You sir have made me look like a fool for the first and last time
Night life shouldn't be a problem. One of the group has been before, and sussed out pretty much every decent club that time.

I like the look of the Tacheles actually. Looks awesome. Its a shame its closing How long has it got?
Quote by Dave_Mc

East Side Gallery. Yeah it's the wall, but if you're in Berlin, you gotta see it. It's actually pretty cool. Go take the Bunker Tours too. I forgot where those were, but just google search it or someshit. Trust me, the Bunker Tours kick ass. There's 3 of them. One goes through Nazi underground bunkers and stuff, then the Soviet cold war underground bomb shelters and such (highly highly suggest you do that one if you have to pick one) and i forgot the last one. I only did the Soviet bomb shelters. It's pretty bitchin' not even gonna lie.
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever