I bought myself a new guitar to practise at home whenever I come here for vacation.

My college already has a guitar, so I want to know whether I can keep my elec at home for a long time (about 3/4 months) without any damage caused to it.
Would keeping it in the gig bag (and nobody playing it) for that much time result in any problems or damage to it?

Thanks
toss silica packets in the case and leave it away from heat and AC sources.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by wizardofvortex
Well silica packets were already provided.

Do I need to loosen the strings before going?

i detune acoustics to take the stress off the glued bridge.

on electrics, i wouldnt. it'll just relax the neck.

i mean you might need a neck adjustment anyway, but if you leave it detuned,
that will just increase the chance.

NOT that that's going to hurt the guitar in any way.

neck adjustments are part of owning, but anyway, i leave my guitars tuned.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
As long as it is not damp or hasn't got extreme temperature variations where you store the guitar it will be fine. Just make sure you clean it and give it a good once over before storing it. The strings won't make any real difference, if you think about it when you played the guitar all the time did you loosen off the strings ?
Quote by jj1565
i detune acoustics to take the stress off the glued bridge.

on electrics, i wouldnt. it'll just relax the neck.

i mean you might need a neck adjustment anyway, but if you leave it detuned,
that will just increase the chance.

NOT that that's going to hurt the guitar in any way.

neck adjustments are part of owning, but anyway, i leave my guitars tuned.

+1

dont worry too much..I left my guitar dormant for about 5 months in a case and when i picked it up later on it was just like when I left it....there was non need to adjust the truss rod or action at all,but if its a really low end cheap guitar you probably will have to though..
One more thing : Right now it's monsoon here. Winter will start after a month, so the temperature is likely to dip. More importantly, it's quite humid here atm and will likely stay this way for a month and a half more.

So is there chance of any permanent damage (I may need to take it for neck adjustment later, but that's a temporary problem)?
You should be fine. Unless transporting, you shouldn't need to loosen your strings, and even then it's a questionable requirement. A common mistake people make is to loosen the strings but not the truss rod. If you do loosen the strings, be sure to reduce tension on the TR to avoid getting backbow.

Otherwise, just put it in the most stable location (both physically and environmentally) and you should be good to go.

One last thing to keep in mind is that a guitar can take cold much better than heat, so if you got to make a choice in extremes, go for the cold if the heat's going to exceed 120F or so.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
I stopped playing for 15 years and left my 335 under the bed all that time. No damage at all played fine when plugged in for the 1st time. it was still in tune even.