I've recently started practicing again after a long hiatus, due to various issues, but unlike before, I actually find Im wanting to practice I actually look forward to it everyday.

Just becuse:

- Im actually practicing
- Im progressing
- Im actually able to hold the guitar in my hands everyday
- I can set myself goals each day and acheive them, looking back and say "yeah, I did that"
- The goals are clear each practice session, so I know what Im practicing and how long for so, it gives me a sense of certinty I guess.

It may only be an hour a day or something small, but unlike before, Im actually practicing not just thinking about doing it and thinking I should do it.

Started off this year thinking I should practice 16 hours a day, because Charlie Parker did. As you can imagine, that failed pretty fast. After about two weeks of thinking about doing 16 hours, I'd get up each day, and something would go wrong, or I'd get up late, and I'd just think "Oh, I'll do it right tomorrow"

I'd bought it down from 8 hours to 4 hours, but still wasn't able to do it everyday

Well, at this point I was pretty distressed, because I was studying music and I thought my "career" (or whatever the hell will become of it) would just fall in a heap. I tried practicing in a certian schedule just doing as a repetition, as much of it, or going mutliple times through it a day, but it was around a 4 hours routine, and somedays I only had 1 hour practice time, and I didn't get everything done, and sometimes just quit for the day out of frustration.

After that I just tried just practicing as much as I could a day, seemed sensible, but the problem with this is that my goal was so ambigous. I couldn't practice for the whole day, and its probably not healthy to, I found it hard to differenciate wheather I should be practicing, or doing whatever (theory, free time, playing, aural training, listening to music) without some sort of plan.

Around the second semester, I ended up just looking at each day, and figuring out (roughly) what I could realistically do. Not pushing the boundaries, just comfortably, and leaving some sort of flexibility in between i.e. not "x" hours exactally each day, but "x" to "x" hours, so there is some room to move.

Well, low and behold, this actually worked! Re-watching John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD again latley, this seems to be similar to his method.

I'll usually have Primary and Secondary Focus. Delegate a flexible amount of time to spend on the Primary Focus, and that after I get that done, I can move on (if I want) to the Secondary Focus, which really helps.

I know a lot of guys here are really negative about schedules, and that's fair enough, but I find that they have really helped me really have clear goals in each session, and to be able to accomplish them.

Anyway, that's mah story. Hope some people can get something out of it. All that being said and done... Let's Practice!

Sorry for the wall of text
Last edited by jesse music at Jul 15, 2010,
Thanks man.

Part of the best thing about this, was that I logically worked my way through my problems myself. I don't have a personal teacher, so it really helped me in the process of being able to analyse my own problems and find solutions, rather than just running to a teacher (though there is a place for this)
Good for you dude.
Very nice to read that you are back on track.
Sometimes it can be a battle of the body and the mind.
TOTAL BRO
Quote by jesse music
I know a lot of guys here are really negative about schedules, and that's fair enough, but I find that they have really helped me really have clear goals in each session, and to be able to accomplish them.
I wouldn't say I'm "negative" about schedules in general, I just feel they aren't affective for me. If I'm motivated enough I shouldn't have to worry about structure.

Everyone learns differently though, so good for you for finding what works for you!

It's also great to hear that you are enjoying practicing! I feel that if you don't enjoy practicing at least a bit, then your practice will not be as effective as it should be.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Exact thing happened to me. I put down the guitar for awhile. My woman and I had a kid on the way, etc. She is 11 months old today, btw. Recent work layoffs have forced me to the stay-at-home dad while my lady works 3rd shift.

Anyway, this has sparked a new interest in guitar for me. And I play every single day! Writing, playing other's music, practicing scales, etc. I love it. Well over an hour a day. Even with a child to take care of.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Quote by jesse music
I just found the lack of goals slightly frustrating.
Oh yes, definitely. You gotta have goals in mind. I guess I'm just a lot more random about that.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea