i've decided that i should probably get a new amp, cause the Microcube that i have just doesn't have the tone that i'm looking for. I'm considering getting a Blackstar HT5 Combo or a Vox VT15 (which is a cheap option) but am unsure what other amps i should consider.

Thing is i can't really get a really powerful amp, cause at uni i live in a flat with flats above and below me, so i need to keep the volume down and therefore need an amp that has quality sound even at low volumes.

I mainly play stuff by Megadeth, Maiden, Metallica and Porcupine Tree, so it would need to be good at distortion and at cleans.

Thanks in advance
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
With that kinda budget, maybe you should look into the peavey vypyr range. They're easily the best modellers for that price range, and not bad overall.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Quote by WarriorArtist94
With that kinda budget, maybe you should look into the peavey vypyr range. They're easily the best modellers for that price range, and not bad overall.

what about the peavey vypyr 15 or 30? Im kinda hesitant on spending a lot on an amp cause i originally wanted to upgrade my guitar but was told that i should upgrade my amp first
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

The HT5 is going to be really loud, even though it's only 5 watts. Tube amps seem louder than SS amps, and they need to be cranked to sound best.

Although, I think that an HT5 at a low volume would still sound better than any of those cheap modelling amps. It depends on how much versatility you need.

EDIT: You might want to get an overdrive pedal as a boost if you decide to get the HT5. You might not have enough gain otherwise.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by salgala2000
Well from here on UG, the best small tube amps for playing metal seem to be
1) Blackstar
2) Bugera

thing is, in the past i used to play stuff by Eric Clapton as well as slower, more acoustic stuff, so i would need an amp that is versatile enough to cover all of these ranges.

Sorry for all this, but im a complete noob when it comes to amps
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

vypyr 15/30 should do the job pretty decent for the high gain stuff but also got amp models for lower gain/clean stuff
Quote by josh_salty
vypyr 15/30 should do the job pretty decent for the high gain stuff but also got amp models for lower gain/clean stuff

but would it not still be very similar to my Microcube, but just more powerful?
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

i think the vypyr is better than the microcube.

another option is to get a small tube amp for cleans like the Vox AC4TV or a Laney Cub 10 and get a distortion pedal for higher gains.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
so would a Vypyr 15/30 be a big step up in terms of tone from a microcube?

Quote by holycow
i think the vypyr is better than the microcube.

another option is to get a small tube amp for cleans like the Vox AC4TV or a Laney Cub 10 and get a distortion pedal for higher gains.

thats actually not a bad idea, thanks for suggesting that
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

I have a Blackstar HT-5
1) Yes, Loud
2) Yes, Decent at low volumes (for a tube amp)
3) Versatile but for acoustic stuff wouldn't you use an, err... acoustic?

Whilst the Blackstar can do Metal when some sort of boost is in use, it excels at rock, albeit heavier rock. For softer stuff look into an AC4, or even better haggle for a Blues Jr, I'm sure if you shopped around you could get one at £300 (or less). When you already have a cube, there's no point getting another SS unless it's because it needs to be louder.

Most importantly, try stuff out and look for a good deal. Luckily I live near London so I can just pop down to Denmark Street (synonymous with guitar heaven) - they always have something nice in one of the 10 or so music shops.

Also, I always push for freebies like strings and picks when I buy bigger stuff. You can also go second hand if you want. Strictly, no impulse shopping, as if it will change anything. :p
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
I have a Blackstar HT-5
1) Yes, Loud
2) Yes, Decent at low volumes (for a tube amp)
3) Versatile but for acoustic stuff wouldn't you use an, err... acoustic?

my bad, what i meant to say was that i make good use out of the clean tones on my Microcube (only time when it has a decent tone) so i would need to have an amp that is also good at the cleans as well as high gain settings.

I still think im swaying towards the HT5 or the Vypyr 15/30 options, or as HolyCow said, get a small tube amp then get overdrive and distortion pedals for the higher gain songs.
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

Well the HT-5's clean tones are good (not the best) but you could just A/B between the two amps for clean/distortion tones. In fact, I quite like my small Kustom Dart 10FX for clean tones, so I guess I was in a similar position to you! If you want an amp that's really good at both clean and distortion then I'm afraid you'll have to shell out much more cash. It might be suitable for me to say the Blackstar's cleans are acceptable (unless volume is an issue).

I might also want to note that whilst the clean channel is significantly quieter than the distortion channel, it makes more sense to say the distortion channel is just insanely loud for a 5W amp.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB