Hi, well this time I just have no idea. Not sure what kind of music I will be playing in the future so a very versatile bass would be good. I'm looking at the Ibanez SR700 right now and i have the money for it, but I don't know if I should buy a new bass with the money I have now, or save up to buy a higher end bass like a fender precision or a music-man bass. Any help would be great! Money is not too much of an issue because I will save up (but I think $2,000 will be my top limit).

Thanks
If you don't know what you're gonna be playing just get a Fender Standard Jazz bass or P-bass, maybe a jaguar bass All the ones you mentioned will be great
Dude, Dingwall is where it's at. In my honest opinion, fanned frets lend themselves to bass just perfectly and every Dingwall I've played has been stunning. They have a line that goes for around 1400$ I think.
Geez... with a $2000 limit, your options are almost limitless aside from vintage collectables and uber botiques.

If you want a bass for ANY genra... a swiss-army-bass, if you will... there is but one option...

a USA G&L L2000 is what you are looking for, my friend.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Look into Lakland and MTD if you want versatile, they're basses are unbelievable
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by enselmis
Dude, Dingwall is where it's at. In my honest opinion, fanned frets lend themselves to bass just perfectly and every Dingwall I've played has been stunning. They have a line that goes for around 1400$ I think.

Those things look amazing. Which one is at 1400?
Quote by consecutive e
Look for a used higher end Warwick or maybe a Spector. What kind of amp are you using?

Right now I have a Behringer BXL9000. So I will probably end up spending some of the 2000 on a new amp too. Any suggestions? I think some might also be used on effects. What's good. I could use so many suggestions
I own a SR700. It is one of the best basses I have ever played. Fast neck, fat tone, looks beautiful and plays great. I guess I'd call it a sleeper bass, as it looks like a typical Ibanez but I like it better than most basses I've played in my entire life
Quote by Lazarus.Bird
I own a SR700. It is one of the best basses I have ever played. Fast neck, fat tone, looks beautiful and plays great. I guess I'd call it a sleeper bass, as it looks like a typical Ibanez but I like it better than most basses I've played in my entire life

There's many reasons why the SR700 is better than the rest. One, it's top end. Two, the electronics on it are really really nice. Three, the stock pick ups in it are even really nice. Four, they use a different wood so you get a really nice thin tone out of it, and with the electronics, you can change it to whatever you want. I think the SR is definitely one of the best basses you can get from Ibanez. If you don't feel like spending $700, they have used ones for a little cheaper and they'll definitely do the job.

I also say this because I'm an Ibanez fan boy. But you see a lot of their artists playing 700's.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Okay well now I'm thinking about buying that SR700 bass. Anyone wanna buy a shcecter custom-4 or an SR400?
Check the link in my sig and look at my related videos and watch the behemoth one if you want an idea of some SR700 tone. I'm playing into a sansamp bass driver right into pro tools. Of course some tone shaping is taking place with the sansamp.
Quote by DFX11
Those things look amazing. Which one is at 1400?

That would be the Combustion series. Might end up picking one up myself in a couple months. Top notch basses.

With that high a budget (even if you have to wait a little longer to save) you could certainly do much better then an SR700. If Ibanez is your thing you could be looking at used Prestige's and still be under budget. I second the Dingwall suggestion (the learning curve on fanned frets is almost non-existent), or take a look at G&L's, Warwick's, MIA Fender's, Musicman's, Lakland's, the options are endless. You can even get a Tom Clement for under $2000.

You really need to be trying out as many basses as you can get your hands on so you can get a feel for what you really want. If you're spending that kind of money, you should know without a doubt what you want from a bass, and what your preferences are.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Just out of curiosity... how's your rig?

A nice rig does better for tone than a nice bass.

While i still think a G&L L2000 is the BEST option... Dingwals are effing sweet! I was creeped out by the fanned frets at first, but it's actually REALLY comfortable to play. I, personally, just think that Dings are more sittuational than most basses. I could see myself using the L2000 for ANYTHING.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Tostitos
You really need to be trying out as many basses as you can get your hands on so you can get a feel for what you really want. If you're spending that kind of money, you should know without a doubt what you want from a bass, and what your preferences are.

Well it is really hard to get to lots of basses when I live in North Carolina and not too many stores carry these higher end basses.
Quote by Din of Win
Just out of curiosity... how's your rig?

My rig?
Quote by DFX11
My rig?

amp/cab setup.
Well I have a Behringer BXL9000. (Would help if you read a little). But $2000 is my budget for gear in general and will most likely buy a new amp with that.