Guys,

1: i'd really love to be able to write "sad" sounding instrumentals, kind of like alot of Opeth songs. i don't really dig metal, but their acoustic stuff amazes me.

a good example chord would be
x

how do i go about learning these kinds of chords and how to apply them?

2: what other basics should i learn, in order to write something decent, and be able to grow as a guitar player?

now as you can tell i barely know any theory, i do know my basic chords & scales (but i'm particulary interested in chord structures here)

i'm mostly an acoustic player. would like to pick up some books on these subjects, as i like to learn from those... don't really like learning from the internet.

so what I'd like to learn is basicly some basic theory and structuring, and on top of that the sad opeth-y kind of theory. (I know mikael åkerfeldt knows none, but I'm not mikael, I just like his style )

Thanks guys
thats an A minor 9 chord.
your reffering to a minor tonality.
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Jul 15, 2010,
Learn chord construction. The formula for building each type of chord. Then learn how to add flavours to them. Learn what chords go in what key. And learn the minor scale. Only if you already know the major scale.
Quote by SWAS
Learn chord construction. The formula for building each type of chord. Then learn how to add flavours to them. Learn what chords go in what key. And learn the minor scale. Only if you already know the major scale.

nice info
Do not triple post. There is not much more to it. Just find some songs similar to what you want to do, and learn them. This helps you get an idea of how they are composed.