View poll results: what should i do?
do it myself
6 22%
bring it to the store
21 78%
leave it warped
0 0%
Voters: 27.
hey guys, i was wondering if i could a have step by step instructions to "unwarp" my neck without snapping it...or should i bring it to a professional?
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
yeah
luthier is the best

unless u want to risk messing your own neck up
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
professional every time i'd say unless you know exactly what your doing.
Current Gear
Schecter Ultracure Robert Smith signature
Rickenbacker 330/6
CIJ Fender Jaguar
Vox AC30CC2X
It's not very difficult or dangerous at all. Just make small adjustments, wait, rinse and repeat as needed. Save your money and learn how to take care of your guitar.
Quote by TheGreifer
It's not very difficult or dangerous at all. Just make small adjustments, wait, rinse and repeat as needed. Save your money and learn how to take care of your guitar.

i love when people are supportive and encouraging

thx alot
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à

Give it to the shop, unless you have done it succesfully before.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
look everyone i asked for a step by step instruction thingy not a "bring it to the store" comment
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood

Quote by ThatGuy153à

are you getting buzz? did you adjust the bridge yet?

fret the first fret Low E at the same time,
fret the last fret Low E, where the neck and body meet ~19th fret.

with them held, look at the middle frets. 7-9th.

is the string laying on the fret wire there?
can you fit a medium pick in the gap there?
can you fit a credit card in the gap there?

edit: and FYI there's a setup thread top of page. with step by steps.
quick link in my sig. green link.

and hey i'm all for doing it yourself. and usually i tell those guys to shove off,
but you clearly asked if you should bring it in, in your first post...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 15, 2010,
Depends on how your neck is warped. My brother's bass neck was curved forward a fair bit(as a result of me not knowing how to tune when I was 12 and just learning about stringed instruments...I think I was in, like, FCE#B or something crazy like that), and I just loosened the strings up and put it up against the wall with the hardware and all facing the wall, and left it for a few days and now it's pretty straight. But...as for anything that ISN'T that I'd definitely take it to a shop.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by guitarscreams
look everyone i asked for a step by step instruction thingy not a "bring it to the store" comment

You A7X fan look, dont put stuff like 'bring it to the store' on the poll then.

Edit: I'm sure there's pleanty videos on youtube
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Last edited by ibrahimasood at Jul 15, 2010,
my neck albeit on a crappy strat copy was slightly warped just turned the truss a tiny bit, and it fixed it as far as i know xD but tbh take it to a shop or something to get it done correctly.
Just adjust the truss rod but don't overtighten it. Also, A straightedge comes in handy for this sort of thing and you can make notched straightedges so they read the fretboard instead of the frets. Its a big help when adjusting the neck. (Also, String tension moves a neck so if you want the neck to be straight or almost straight when playing you should make your adjustments with the strings at pitch) By the way, Wear eye protection just in case a string breaks.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
What exactly is 'warped'? Do you mean overbow, backbow, warped sideways?

And bring it to the store was an option on your poll btw.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by Gargoyle2500
Just adjust the truss rod but don't overtighten it. Also, A straightedge comes in handy for this sort of thing and you can make notched straightedges so they read the fretboard instead of the frets. Its a big help when adjusting the neck. (Also, String tension moves a neck so if you want the neck to be straight or almost straight when playing you should make your adjustments with the strings at pitch) By the way, Wear eye protection just in case a string breaks.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by handbanana
take it to a tech and let him adjust your truss rod, don't try to do it yourself

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i voted "take it to a shop" just because if you hadn't already tried to adjust it (or at least done a bunch of research on your own) then you're probably not up to the maintenance. bolt-on necks are a lot stronger than people give them credit for. as long as the truss rod isn't snapped you should be able to adjust it. but it really all depends on how "warped" is warped. you might just have some relief in the neck and need a little action raising.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by jj1565

Ok, What did I say that was so wrong? I really want to know, Was it the string breakage part or did I tell the TS too much? Yes, its a small chance that a string will break but its a good idea to wear goggles just in case.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by Gargoyle2500
Ok, What did I say that was so wrong? I really want to know, Was it the string breakage part or did I tell the TS too much? Yes, its a small chance that a string will break but its a good idea to wear goggles just in case.

you're telling him to tighten the rod. and unless i missed it, he never reported to measuring the relief.

how do you know which way he should adjust the rod?

plus you didnt tell him how much to turn either. there's no way to know which way or how much. plus, what if he thinks he can spin away on the rod...

i wouldn't mind but you see that i asked him to measure, so how about we all work as a team here wait to see what the actual issue is, THEN suggest a a well informed answer that will ensure he doesn't break his rod or need emergency eye surgery.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by jj1565
you're telling him to tighten the rod. and unless i missed it, he never reported to measuring the relief.

how do you know which way he should adjust the rod?

plus you didnt tell him how much to turn either. there's no way to know which way or how much. plus, what if he thinks he can spin away on the rod...

i wouldn't mind but you see that i asked him to measure, so how about we all work as a team here wait to see what the actual issue is, THEN suggest a a well informed answer that will ensure he doesn't break his rod or need emergency eye surgery.

Ok, Thank you. Yes, There are errors on my part. I suppose with my writing I may have lead one to think I meant they should tighten the rod, I didn't make it clear enough that I meant to just adjust the truss rod in whatever way was necessary (At the end I meant "Do not tighten the rod if it starts getting hard to turn") I don't always read every reply either, I suppose I should start when in a topic like this.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jul 16, 2010,