I thought this would fit under bass mostly, I'm a guitarist but I really admire the bass and I can play bass quite a bit, beyond the 3 note follow-the-guitar Green Day nonsense. I may end up playing bass in my friend's band and I'd love to know how to play both guitar and bass well, but there's always that negativity flying around where people say "Guitarists can't be true bassists because they play guitar"...

Will I be able to get any respect as a bassist?

The reason I learned guitar and not bass is because my stepdad told me the bass just follows the guitar and is boring, and I was young at the time so I believed him.
dude to be a bad ass bass player is way sicker then being shreding sweet ass guitar player any day.

now what you will hear is "real bass players dont use a pick"
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Jul 15, 2010,
Why would you worry about respect? If you want to play bass in your friends bass then play bass. Some bassists were originally guitarists. Like Paul Grey for instance. Just enjoy what you do!
I Like Deathcore, Deal With It!
Quote by Grave Robber
Why would you worry about respect? If you want to play bass in your friends bass then play bass. Some bassists were originally guitarists. Like Paul Grey for instance. Just enjoy what you do!

Hell Geddy Lee played guitar originally, and he's one badass bass player...
Duff McKagan used to play guitar, he changed to bass for Gn'R
john entwhistel
john paul jones
dirk lance
victor wooten

thread/
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I think its a ego thing if you know what your role is in the band you got nothing to worry about and bassists are always in more demand than guitarists I'd say so your more likely to find work.

Anytime you come across a arrogant guitarist just know he sounds good cause you are supporting the song while he's pissin about
Quote by thePTOD
I thought this would fit under bass mostly, I'm a guitarist but I really admire the bass and I can play bass quite a bit, beyond the 3 note follow-the-guitar Green Day nonsense. I may end up playing bass in my friend's band and I'd love to know how to play both guitar and bass well, but there's always that negativity flying around where people say "Guitarists can't be true bassists because they play guitar"...

The reason I learned guitar and not bass is because my stepdad told me the bass just follows the guitar and is boring, and I was young at the time so I believed him.

This is probably going to go down like a bomb, but I'd like disagree with your comment regarding Green Day. Firstly, there are lots of good bassists (and very well respected bassists) who quite often followed the guitars. Just look at Cliff Burton. Secondly, I don't actually consider Mike Dirnt to be a bad bass player. Just listen to Longview or No One Knows. Admittedly in the recent stuff he's gone downhill a bit (but then, the entire band have). What you really want to avoid is becoming one of these boring root note bass players who never play more than one note in eighths per bar; that's boring, and you'll never get acknowledged or command any respect.

You'll also get a lot of stick for playing with a pick. There are some good bass players who play with picks; but the majority of the ones who do are indeed these "failed guitarists." Not really failed guitarists, but perhaps the least competent out of their group of friends that decided to start a band, and as a result were put on bass, because the other guitarists were arrogant enough to believe that the bass is an unimportant instrument. There's nothing wrong with playing with a pick (most of us do it from time to time) but doing it exclusively is not good. The best way to get the respect you're looking for if you're playing bass as well as guitar, would be to learn to play (properly) with your fingers. This will show that you treat the bass like a completely different instrument to the guitar (which it is) and as such you will be considered a bass player, not a guitarist playing bass.
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by thePTOD
beyond the 3 note follow-the-guitar Green Day nonsense.

Ok... i'm no Green Day apolagist or anything (not even really a fan)... but i've always admired Mike Dirnt's bass playing. he rarely follows the guitar and has some of the most tasteful fills i have ever heard. Insomniac in peticular has one of my favorite tones on any album. Pop-punk is some of the most bass-centric music in general and actually takes lots of skill and musicianship.

Sure as shit arent going to get any 'respect as a bassist' if you don't respect OTHER bassists...

/rant

Welcome to bass! it's awesome. It's way different than guitar as you're more of a drummer with notes... at least that's the mindset you should start thinking in.

-Learn as much as you can... pick, finger, slap and tap.
-Play with pedals!
-look up bass players on youtube... especially James Jamerson.
-Have fun!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
If you play and want the pick sound but keep fingerstyle, im not giving away my secret but i got it from Robbie Merrill and its somthing you can put on your finger and its like a pick almost. *wink wink*
and you should lose no respect, if your good youll gain more as a good bass player is harder to find than a guitar player that knows how to sound good or is actually good.
If you don't use a pick yet what that sound, use your mother ****ing nail. Unghh.
The only thing you should be doing is not giving a shit and just play. The sooner you get to that stage the better. You'll realise that simple is sometimes the best- there's such a thing as over complicating a song after all.You'll also realise that playing with a pick is not a crutch and the only people that think it is are those people who rate themselves too highly and those who don't "get" playing an instrument. Playing with fingers isn't the "proper" way- there is no "proper" way. Hell, if people are going to be anal about things, we should all be playing just with our thumbs. I mean, Jesus, I thought we'd gotten over this entire "pick is for failed guitarists" bollocks a long time ago- it has no place within the community.
You should probably learn to finger-pick; it's always nice to be able to switch between picking and finger-picking, depending on the needs of a song. Other than that though, it shouldn't really be a problem; every instrument you learns tends to help you with other instruments... the only downside I've ever found is that making drumming my primary instrument leads to me overusing dead-notes on bass....
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The only thing you should be doing is not giving a shit and just play. The sooner you get to that stage the better. You'll realise that simple is sometimes the best- there's such a thing as over complicating a song after all.You'll also realise that playing with a pick is not a crutch and the only people that think it is are those people who rate themselves too highly and those who don't "get" playing an instrument. Playing with fingers isn't the "proper" way- there is no "proper" way. Hell, if people are going to be anal about things, we should all be playing just with our thumbs. I mean, Jesus, I thought we'd gotten over this entire "pick is for failed guitarists" bollocks a long time ago- it has no place within the community.

this +1

tons of fags will say "real bass players dont use a pick" just ignore them.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Once you get playing bass for a bit you wont look back. I used to play guitar (same as you) but took up bass to get in a band, and man I am glad I did.

The bass has so much more identity in a song compared to say the rythym guitarist which the lead guitarist can play over for the most part anyway - notice how many bands dont even have a rythym guitarist and get by just fine!

Bass is a big part of the "modern sound", chicks dig it!

Its a deep instrument, easy to play passably but once you get into it you realise how much more "feel" it can have depending on your skill.

It also kicks ass live, there are few things that can make the stage rumble like a bass aside from "another" act of nature.

In short, do it.
Quote by Derk'ed
If you don't use a pick yet what that sound, use your mother ****ing nail. Unghh.

Don't give us the 'unghh' as if this was common knowledge and everyone is being ignorant.

Using your nail is nothing like using a pick.
Quote by thePTOD

Yes, if you play the bass as a bassist. The bass is not an overgrown guitar with less (or more if you play an ERB) strings. It is a different instrument that happens to be constructed in a similar way to an electric guitar. Any negativity regarding guitarists playing bass stems from guitarists playing bass like a guitar, instead of a bass. Play with any technique you want, be it your fingers, a pick, whatever floats your boat, so long as you play as a bassist, and not a guitarist who happens to be playing a bass.

As long as you respect the bass, and treat it as a bass (not a big guitar), you will be respected by other mature and educated bassists. If anyone tells you that you're in the wrong for using a certain technique, or for being a guitarist as well, or anything along those lines, well those people really aren't worth listening to in the first place.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
as long as you play fingerstyle on the bass, your safe for respect :p

No, he can play however he wants. You don't get more 'respect' for playing fingerstyle. And if you play fingerstlye badly, then how will people be impressed by you?

I don't see why people care anyway. If you're good at an instrument, you may get 'respect', but I personally would rather be a good musician without 'respect' than to be a terrible musician who is respected, because it doesnt matter. Play what you want, how you want, and don't care so much about other people, do what makes you happy.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom