hey guys, i was wondering how high my string should be from the 12th fret?
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
its a personal thing really, but you check string height by fretting your low e string at the 1st fret then with your left thumb fret it at where the neck joins the body (usually 17th or 19th fret) then keeping it freted reach as far as you can to the middle between those two frets and the distance the string has to travel is your string height. Usually you want a thin to medium pick to be able to be held between the string and the fret. Also we have a setup thread that explains this much better than i can

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241 and thats the setup thread, check it out
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Depends on a lot of things... some guitars have a lower action than others. Basically as low as you can go without excessive buzzing. Keep in mind intonation could be affected when you adjust the action.

We're not talking about a truss rod adjustment are we? Cause there is some method to the madness (this sort of thing is measured by grungebaby's suggestion, which I think he/she incorrectly associated with string height).

I don't know a lot about this sort of stuff though.
Last edited by Concat at Jul 15, 2010,
personal preference as long as you don`t get any fret buzz, some people like a very high action....yngwie malmsteen does. one thing to consider though is that the string height hould follow the radius of the fingerboard.
Quote by grungebaby
its a personal thing really, but you check string height by fretting your low e string at the 1st fret then with your left thumb fret it at where the neck joins the body (usually 17th or 19th fret) then keeping it freted reach as far as you can to the middle between those two frets and the distance the string has to travel is your string height. Usually you want a thin to medium pick to be able to be held between the string and the fret. Also we have a setup thread that explains this much better than i can

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241 and thats the setup thread, check it out

thx, you really helped me out
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Quote by grungebaby
its a personal thing really, but you check string height by fretting your low e string at the 1st fret then with your left thumb fret it at where the neck joins the body (usually 17th or 19th fret) then keeping it freted reach as far as you can to the middle between those two frets and the distance the string has to travel is your string height. Usually you want a thin to medium pick to be able to be held between the string and the fret.

That confused me at first. Perhaps you could have explained it a bit better? I know what you're saying but still, A person could think you meant the distance from one fret to another - Not the distance from the strings to the frets (Or fretboard, If the guitar in question is a fretless)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jul 15, 2010,
I don't get what that has to do with string height though.... When you fret both the 1st fret and the 17th fret, you're really checking the curvature of the neck, not the string height (you're pushing the strings down, eliminating all string height except that which is caused by the curvature of the neck). Adjusting the action won't change it!

Am I wrong?
Quote by Concat
I don't get what that has to do with string height though.... When you fret both the 1st fret and the 17th fret, you're really checking the curvature of the neck, not the string height (you're pushing the strings down, eliminating all string height except that which is caused by the curvature of the neck). Adjusting the action won't change it!

Am I wrong?

You are not.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
yeah, my bad, i got string height and truss checks mixed up but i gave him the link that would show him the right way anyway so hopefully no harm done
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo