Page 1 of 2
I had problems with my Laney AOR 50 and got it serviced twice.

I had the powertubes replaced, soldering work done, cables extended, etc etc and after it, seemed fine. but have discovered it still has a problem!!!!!!!!

If I play on the low notes, I get this vibrating, farty noise but it doesn't happen on the high strings...

anyone know whats happening? Speaker ripped???

thanks, im so frustrated. This amp seems to be more trouble than its worth
It just doesnt seem to handle higer volumes. The speaker seems to be pretty intolerant...Its plugged into 1x16 ohm and there are 2 other ohms to use. Could this be an issue?

And yeah it does...althought don't really have any speakers to check it with
I'd check to see exactly what speaker it is brand, model, #, ohms, everything and look at the speaker cone for damage. I'm sure it is 16 but you never know. Then I would find another cab somewhere (store, friend, whatever) and plug your amp into that with the longest cable you can find and see if that makes a difference.

The issue Bostonrocks was having with his was in the power section if I remember - possibly a power transformer but I don't remember now. Sounds like you have a different issue. What tubes were put in? Did they replace the preamp tubes too? Does your amp need biasing when tubes are put in?

??
Apoligies for the double posting!

Do you think its worth buying a new speaker for the AOR 50?

Does it sound like a speaker rip?

If so, what should I be looking at?

Thanks, I just wanna get this sorted now
Quote by moominman2
Apoligies for the double posting!

Do you think its worth buying a new speaker for the AOR 50?

Does it sound like a speaker rip?

If so, what should I be looking at?

Thanks, I just wanna get this sorted now

1.) Not sure what comes stock with it.

2.) Maybe

You know you can edit your posts
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Hi, I have the same amp as you (I was actually gonna buy yours, glad I didnt lol) but just want to tell you that I heard the amp sounds delicious with V30s, so if you're buying a new speaker, get a V30. I'm actually saving up for one now.
check the speakers with a 9 volt battery to make sure theyre vibrating right, and make sure you have the right impedance running on the head and cab.

it sounds like your speakers are blown, and this could be due to running your head at the wrong impedance for your cab or vise versa. shred right through the cones. from what youve said it sounds like the cab is the issue and not the amp.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
definitely sounds like a speaker issue. it might not be a problem per se but just how your playing/eqqing is interacting with that particular speaker. I can make my flub too sometimes.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
This is perfect information.

My amp was running through the 1x8 ohm instead of 1x16 ever since I bought it off ebay. It looked like someone had tried to change the speaker as the cable couldn't reach the 1x16 ohm socket.

Does that sound about right? If so, I think i'll buy a new speaker this week.

I appriciate all this help

EDIT: How do I check the speakers with a 9 volt battery? Thanks
Last edited by moominman2 at Jul 16, 2010,
So it's a 16 ohm speaker? Plugging that into the 8 ohm output on the amp won't hurt it. Sounds like a dud speaker to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you have a 112 cab? and your amp is running at 8 ohms? if i read that right, your amp shouldve blown the speaker if you turn it up, hence your flub a higher volumes. if you only have one speaker, its probably a 16 ohm speaker, the only way your amp would properly be able to run at 8 ohms is with at least two speakers.

take your speaker out and there will be metal tabs on the back where the wires connect to, which are usually conveniently about as far apart as the prongs on a 9 volt. just hold one side to one tab, and tap the other terminal to the other tab on and off, it should make the cone react in correspondence to your 9 volt when the circuit is complete. if the speaker is in good condition the cone should pop up evenly all the way around, because theres only one level of charge being applied. if its like tilted or something that just looks abnormal, the speaker is blown. crude, but it works i guess. my one friends friend who is a sound engineer told him about that and i learned it through him.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIMHGkxw72o

hes doing it on a woofer, but its the same for a guitar speaker.

and if you run your amp at only 8 ohms through a 16 ohms speaker, theres too much current, if you turned it up high enough you could possibly just shred right through the speaker cone given the right conditions, idk about 8-16 ohms, but maybe more possible with 4 or 2 - 16 ohms.

EDIT: also, note there is a rick of ruining the output transformer
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Jul 16, 2010,
If you hang a 16 ohm speaker on an 8 ohm winding you get LESS current. You're thinking the other way around. It's on the same winding so the voltage is the same so ohm's law says - lower resistance = more current. It's lower rated speakers that cause problems, whether that be watts or ohms.

It still sounds like a dud speaker to me though regardless of why it blew.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
If you hang a 16 ohm speaker on an 8 ohm winding you get LESS current. You're thinking the other way around. It's on the same winding so the voltage is the same so ohm's law says - lower resistance = more current. It's lower rated speakers that cause problems, whether that be watts or ohms.

It still sounds like a dud speaker to me though regardless of why it blew.

ok, but even so, if not the speaker, youre pushing the output transformer harder, youre pushing the tubes harder, into a speaker with higher resistance. the amp is pushing more current, and the speaker is designed to take less. you might be a bit safer on the speaker side of things(even tho its always just generally good to have the right settings on everything), its like trying to push more water through a pipe than it can handle.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
ok, but even so, if not the speaker, youre pushing the output transformer harder, youre pushing the tubes harder, into a speaker with higher resistance. the amp is pushing more current, and the speaker is designed to take less. you might be a bit safer on the speaker side of things(even tho its always just generally good to have the right settings on everything), its like trying to push more water through a pipe than it can handle.

Man, you've really got how it works by the wrong end. You aren't pushing the valves harder, they are running at lower current. The power supply isn't a pump, it's a resevoir and the valve isn't a pump either it's, well, it's a valve. A higher impedance load is like a smaller pipe, a small pipe in a lake has LESS impact on the lake than a large one and the forces involved on the pipe and where the pipe terminates are far greater with a big pipe.
If he had connected a 4 ohm speaker to the 8 ohm output then there'd be a problem.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 16, 2010,
Thanks guys that's a lot of help. I'm going to test the 9v when I get home today. I hope it is the speaker as I don't mind paying out for a decent one. What speaker should I look at?

Also how can I tell if the output transformer has fried or gone bad? I remember having the amp unplugged to any speaker and playing through it accidently. This was for no longer than a minute though

Thanks
Normally if you blow an output transformer they don't work at all. I don't think I've ever heard of one going farty, they just stop working. As for the speaker, you'd have to say what sound you are after. Speaker types aren't my forte tbh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok that's good man thanks. I want it to be the speaker.

The tone I'm after...I want the clean to sound 'tough' and ballsy sounding. I want that hendrix tone but also that agressive guns n roses/ motley crue tone

eminince governor
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Get that Scumback. You won't regret it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Oh yeah, £.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
haha :P no worries.

**********************UPDATE!*****************************************

I Just did the 9 volt test, and didn't sound healthy. When I tested it, the noise I originally complained about was happening and sparks between the battery and speaker flew.

When I did it, it sounded like a connection was loose as it kept 'Spazzing' out.

Is this definatly a speaker problem? I really wanna make sure as i'll be spending like £80 on a new one.

Also are these easilly replaced? Just a simple solder job?

thanks!
Bad speaker, fried speaker, blown speaker.... it's the speaker .

Sounds blown to me. I did that with a combo one time (wattage rating on the speaker wasn't correct for the amp, go figure), and it started to flub and the whatnot.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Are you sure its deffo the speaker?

Could it be the connection I used to test the speaker with the battery? I used a battery snap...

The dodgy flubber sound happens when its loud and low notes are played.

Sorry but i just wanna make sure its is the speaker before I splash out :P

Thanks for the help!
You could try connecting the speaker to a hifi and listen to a cd through it. It won't sound hifi quality even if it's ok but you should be able to hear distortion if it's knackered.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Heres a video of the battery test...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwDBlDc32OQ

It sounded awful but the video hasn't captured the true sound. This is blown yeah?

And I'v just found a hi-fi I can use but its late here now so will have to be done tomorrow. I also have some speakers that my drummer uses with his mixer that i'll try out

thanks!

EDIT: I'm loving the Celestion Gt75 man...But its only 30 watts?

What do I need for my 50w Laney?
Page 1 of 2