Well I love playing metal and rock but also blues and not so heavy rock so naturally I'm wearing out strings when i tune up and down all the time. and I know i could put a capo on the 2nd fret and tune the low C to D but just doesn't sound the same. So i guess my question is has anyone ever played anything other than rock in drop C?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
well it kinda seems like on songs with less distortion or clean they might get a little muddy and i've really never heard of anyone playing anything else
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Periphery does some lighter bits in drop C, All New Materials for example. But generally you can play whatever you want in Drop C. Just dial in an, f.ex, nice clean tone, and screw around improvising.
Also, if gets muddy in Drop C, it's only the fault of the gear
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Last edited by fantasyh at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by fantasyh
Periphery does some lighter bits in drop C, All New Materials for example. But generally you can play whatever you want in Drop C. Just dial in an, f.ex, nice clean tone, and screw around improvising.
Also, if gets muddy in Drop C, it's only the fault of the gear

Reminds me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlyYTmk5q0g
Drop C.
http://soundcloud.com/dawwwstin
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
stfu spaghetti asshole

Quote by itachi-sasori
thats like... a really broad range... how can you like dragonforce AND beethoven Dx
yeah, it would be kinda fun to piss off the pureists that won't even go down to drop D haha but i had someone ask me why i tune down cause its easier just to do it in standard? idk how it would though
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
collective soul does that on shine and some other stuff...well on shine it is half step down drop D...whatever that is. drop c flat. i dunno.
^C flat? Does not compute.

I keep one of my guitars in D and I play blues on it all the time. Personally I love the added darkness of lower tunings on cleans.
I'd like to contribute Rock Lobster to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDZy6-fMCw4

Its in a strange tuning - Four strings tuned like this...

F
F
x
x
F
C

x Means no string is present for that slot. But this goes to show you, Tunings aren't meant to be used only in specific genres - Only in specific songs for what you want. (And yes, I realize its not in Drop C)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
metalcore technically isn't metal in these forums, i think some modern bands, ( i recall my freind telling me one paramore song is in drop c) do drop c, but outside of modern stuff, most bands dont do drop d esque tunings
Eh.
I play in C all the time, in fact, a lot of the new songs I'm writing are in the key of C, while playing in drop C, and I make them sound happy, since I know the key of C is usually associated with sad songs.

I like the extra gain that drop C adds to my tone.