This isn't a "starter" bass is it?
I've played it in a shop and have fallen in love but I want to make sure it's a decent enough bass for playing live and recording.
I own one in black, absolutely love it. It's definitely not a starter bass, but at the same time, it's not a high end bass. Definitely good enough to record with and play live with, though I suppose it depends on what tone you want.
I've read reviews and played and it feels right. I've got another Yamaha bass and I love the tone.
I'm not too bothered about it being high end such as a MusicMan StingRay as I can't afford that
So I'm pretty sure its the bass for me, for now.
Yep... it's a 'starter' bass... but that's just a stupid label.

I've played my $75 SX P/J in front of hundreds of people plenty of times before... no one cares about what you're playing besides gear snobs. No one cares what gear snobs think other than other gear snobs... therefore, any condicention will be relegated to a circle of people that NO ONE ELSE cares about.

In my case, the only ones who even said ANYTHING about my SX were cute girls that thought it 'looked pretty'.

Like it? Get it! Be thankful you fell in love with a $200 RBX and not some $2000 botique or something.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
It's not $200, its £300.

So i'm thinking it's not that much of a starter bass.
Ah, i misread it as the RBX170.

Still... you like it? get it.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I had my heart set on a RBX375, went into the store and played it and loved the hell out of it. Went home and saved up the cash but when I went back to buy it I started playing a Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 5 and ended up buying that instead.

They were both very good basses to play and I enjoyed them both. What swayed me in the end is that the Yamaha has a 34" scale whereas the Schecter is a 35" and it felt a little bit 'tighter' for lack of a better word.
For the price I think you can do better, but I've played a few and it is a great bass.
The other options would be a Yamaha BB, an Ibanez SR or an Ibanez BTB, all 5 string of course. So far though i've only played the RBX.
It's a good bass though I wouldn't play one at a gig though.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
I have one in black, got it off my friend for £60, best money I've spent. The pickups, on my model at least, are LOUD. I love the tones I can get. I'm in a ska band so I get good tones for that, also good tones for funk, metal and many other genres. My action is very very low and it's sturdy, very sturdy.

The only gripes I've heard is that the B is a bit floppy, but I don't notice it. I've got a .135 B string and it isn't terrible, and it's usable. Maybe since it's my first 5, I don't notice, but it's no big deal.

So, in short, I recommend it. I haven't recorded yet, but I have gigged and it held it's own. That day I was probably the only bass player that could be heard :P